Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
As we did Chit Chats...PM's cavalcade was almost attacked by Punjabi protestors. Punjab Police was nowhere to be found and it was upto SPG dudes to ensure protection(that too for 30+ mins over open road).

Now I'm sure some person at MoD will suggest to arm SPG with Sig 716 too...
Punjab police was there drinking tea with protestors

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
As we did Chit Chats...PM's cavalcade was almost attacked by Punjabi protestors. Punjab Police was nowhere to be found and it was upto SPG dudes to ensure protection(that too for 30+ mins over open road).

Now I'm sure some person at MoD will suggest to arm SPG with Sig 716 too...
They’ve already chosen a 7.62x51 gun for themselves
1641408961041.jpeg

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
They’ve already chosen a 7.62x51 gun for themselves
View attachment 129871
Even if FNH Belgium refuses to sell it to them(I doubt they’ll object as they won’t be used in frontline operations in Kashmir) SPG will be allowed to use the more expensive and circuitous method of FMS. Here the manufacturer ex. FN USA sells it to the US DoD, and the DoD sells it to foreign allies or partners at a markup depending on negotiations and how close a partner is. This can get around most sanctions/disbarments from parent nations but not all. Para SF was supposed to this and it’s deal was not impacted by FN Belgiums ban which impacted the SFFs procurement plan.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
There's a reason why they call such rifles as Battle Rifles.
Do you realize that any innocent person that gets even nicked by such horrendous bullets is gonna suffer for the rest of his/her life?? If someone's hit, they're gone. If hit anywhere else like arm or leg, it will literally ampute that part, crush the nearby bones and make it almost impossible to sew back even for the best of Military surgeons. If they don't die, they're disabled for the rest of ther life.
Well even 7.62x39 fired from 50mtr is almost a death warrant but atleast there's a chance of survival for that innocent.
7.62x51=devils pill, 7.62x39=survivable. I want the drugs this dude is doing.🥴

ManhattanProject

Country flag
The Achilles Heel of any AR-10/15 is its tight clearances.
- Mag catch freezes in it's slot.
- Same with bolt catch.
- Selector manipulation becomes difficult.
- Perhaps the most serious issue; the firing pin gets frozen in its hole. You'll start getting light or even no primer strikes.
You people talk like dunking your rifle in unfrozen water is a common occurrence in -30 degree weather. The most you have to deal with is condensation from comeing in and out of heated tents. If you are planning to fall through a frozen lake at -30 and planning to survive the AK is your rifle but for anything other than that the AR15 outperforms the AK.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
I wouldn't be as harsh to call them a scam. In mid 2000s some major Indian companies acquired licence to manufacture small arms with big names such as l&t.

All of them let go of the licenses because of beureaucratic hassles of making and proofing small arms.

This is a low profit, high entry price segment with no guarantee of orders and an ab initio design takes half a decade to mature. The only client they have is the government, which is a fickle and corrupt buyer.

At least SSS defence has shown some initiative in designs. As of now they are the only Indian firm to launch their own designs. It took them a massive effort just to build their own test range. Who will sink dozens of crores in such a business with zero assurance of orders?

Look at IA. They have changed their requirements 4 times in a decade from 5.56x45 to 5.56x45+7.62x39 multi cal to back to 5.56x45 to 7.62x51 & 5.56x45 to now three tiers in 7.62x51, 7.62x39 and 5.56x45.

SSS defence at least has a design in P72 in all three calibre, even if it is vapourware at this point. They have sunk capital in ammunition manufacturing as well.

No one, not PLR, not Tata, not L&T, not Kalyani have touched the design aspects with a 10 feet pole. All these companies would spend more on air-conditioning for their offices than the entire turnover of SSS defence several times over.
The american market is the answer, all around the world gun companies sustain themselves on the american market if they dont have a domestic civilian clientele.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
@ManhattanProject After I emptied my entire stock of copium in April 2021 itself I still don't understand what do you want to be procured by indian armed forces.
Let's start with para SF and army infantry what is your dream to see equipped by our soldiers.
i would say get nothing, upgrade our m4s and tavors. Get laser designators, most have good optics, get modern plate carriers and integration of coms and hearing protection. The last thing i want is better combat uniforms. I would also like better training but thats my opinion, some might say thats not needed.