Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
The guys there are not plain stupid bruh they must have had the reason for it so they chose the caliber. Most probably the experience from COIN ops and maybe something from Kargil.
Edit: This is what Avinash sir said before
"Believe you me any weapon on the AK platform is fantastic, we actually don't need THE BEST RIFLES, because they cost almost twice. 7.62x39 is a very effective caliber. AK 103 misses out on modularity which probably the 203s shall make up to"
See, I don’t care if they were stupid or not, but they do have to explain how tf are they going to manage 4 different calibers in a Platoon.

7.62x39mm AK-203
5.56X45mm Carbine
7.62x51mm SiG-716 and Negev NG-7
7.62x54mm Dragunov Sniper Rifle

SGOperative

Country flag
See, I don’t care if they were stupid or not, but they do have to explain how tf are they going to manage 4 different calibers in a Platoon.

7.62x39mm AK-203
5.56X45mm Carbine
7.62x51mm SiG-716 and Negev NG-7
7.62x54mm Dragunov Sniper Rifle
I dont think the Sigs and Aks will be in the same platoon. And logistics was always a mess for us and god knows what they gonna do and getting a 5.56 would have not solved anything here until we decide on a carbine and if that ends up being JVPC nothing would have helped anyway.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I dont think the Sigs and Aks will be in the same platoon. And logistics was always a mess for us and god knows what they gonna do and getting a 5.56 would have not solved anything here until we decide on a carbine and if that ends up being JVPC nothing would have helped anyway.
SiGs and AKs will be in the same platoon, isn’t it happening already?

Vayuputra

Country flag
This is one of the most backward and illogical takes I’ve seen in a long time. Off the shelf purchases are only viable for really small quantities for special units etc.
my comments were for asmi.
If we have to get asmi it's better to buy conversion kit from u.s market, it's cheap. We can utilize resources for R&D on new calibre based weapons

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
my comments were for asmi.
If we have to get asmi it's better to buy conversion kit from u.s market, it's cheap. We can utilize resources for R&D on new calibre based weapons
And buy expensive glocks to be converted into SMGs with expensive conversion kits? Why not buy MP5s then?

ManhattanProject

Country flag
I'm sure OFB could've made a 5.56 Krink with pic rails rather than hand breaking 7.62 TriCa...

7.62 is a heavier bullet and in guns with shorter barrels thay perform better. There is a reason 300blk performs better in shorter barrels than 5.56. I fell the whole 7.62x39 adoption is retarded, only dome by third world countries. But army knows best so fuck it

SGOperative

Country flag
7.62 is a heavier bullet and in guns with shorter barrels thay perform better. There is a reason 300blk performs better in shorter barrels than 5.56. I fell the whole 7.62x39 adoption is retarded, only dome by third world countries. But army knows best so fuck it
I dont really get the idea of comparing everything with the west? You cant just copy what they are doing, we had used 5.56 for some 2 and half decades are switching back so a reason should be there and if it was all about kickbacks we would have got those AK12s and the Americans also don't usually shy around from bribing or what they call that in America "Lobbying"

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Best case would be get TOT for Sig-716i ASAP. The 716DI model is not the top of the line model form Sig Sauer currently. So how expensive can it get?

Best option would be if SSS Defence comes up with their AR-15 design in Defence expo 2022. But I doubt Army will show any interest.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
I dont really get the idea of comparing everything with the west? You cant just copy what they are doing, we had used 5.56 for some 2 and half decades are switching back so a reason should be there and if it was all about kickbacks we would have got those AK12s and the Americans also don't usually shy around from bribing or what they call that in America "Lobbying"
The thing is heavier pills perform better in shorter barrels. 5.56 will have too much flash, sound and concusion when compaired to heavier pills. I was just giving am example not trying to compair with the west. what i am saying is if we are looking for a cqb rifle in 5.56 it should have a barrel of more than 10 inches or it will lose the fragmentation that the 5.56 and 5.45 offers. In a indoor environment there is a reson american force swear double hearing protection, its so they can maintain awareness. Now of our forces were issuing supressors too i wouldnt complain.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Best case would be get TOT for Sig-716i ASAP. The 716DI model is not the top of the line model form Sig Sauer currently. So how expensive can it get?

Best option would be if SSS Defence comes up with their AR-15 design in Defence expo 2022. But I doubt Army will show any interest.
Our forces like the sig, what SSS is competing for is the carbine deal. I hope kalyani doesnt win, because that AUG they are offering is aweful.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Our army deserves a much better rifle than substandard one from ofb. Ak 203 has good metallurgy and can withstand continous fire of 5-6 mags at one go.
Can you please elaborate this "metallurgy" part.

I'm quite a noob in this gun thingy. It would be great if you can explain how metallurgy of AK-203 is so good.

Last edited:

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag

I'm quite a noob in this gun thingy. It would be great if you can explain how metallurgy of AK-203 se good.
Im not entirely sure what hes talking about, maybe the fact that ARs have some parts which blow up incase gun gets too hot? (It is designed that way to blow its gas tube, much like cookers with safety valves, and prevent damage to the gun )

AKs sustain longer fire due to being a long stroke piston mechanism, meaning that gas from propellant never gets into the bolt and bolt carrier(the parts of the gun that move back and forth while firing). Thats why, even when AKs have the barrel so hot it starts to bend from its own weight, it can still fire.

And currently, AKs made well (Like the russian stuff we're getting) can handle waaay more than the 5-6 he states. Ive seen tests go over 1400 rounds non stop and still firing, thats over 45 mags without a break. Thats gonna murder most other platforms

Whitecollar

Country flag
Army need 556 Carbines. TriCa in 556 could've been atleast considered with others...
For heli crew, tank crew etc that hardly fire their carbines during war, 556 is much more controllable, better follow up shots and lesser effects on shoulder due to recoil.

Last thing you wanna do is break a poor heli crew member's shoulder/arm while he fires and flees from crash site inside enemy territory.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Army need 556 Carbines. TriCa in 556 could've been atleast considered with others...
For heli crew, tank crew etc that hardly fire their carbines during war, 556 is much more controllable, better follow up shots and lesser effects on shoulder due to recoil.

Last thing you wanna do is break a poor heli crew member's shoulder/arm while he fires and flees from crash site inside enemy territory.
762 recoil isnt bad enough to cause injury....:frusty:

Just look at all the journalists holding rifles like noobs and still being fine after firing. And Tank/heli/arty crews have decent practice with standard firearms.

incase it still isnt okay, jvpc is there to act as a carbine for this specific purpos-Arty/tank

Vayuputra

Country flag

I'm quite a noob in this gun thingy. It would be great if you can explain how metallurgy of AK-203 is so good.
once barrel gets heated it's starts to expand which can affect accuracy to great extent. If it gets too hot, there is high chances of ammo cooking up in the chamber, means it fires without pressing trigger.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles