Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Killbot

Country flag
2 MOA is better than 1 MOA acc to you?
Did I say that? I meant that it makes absolutely no difference. Let me put it into perspective.

If you're using a red dot, you are expecting threats at close quarters, say 200m at most. At 200m, 1 MOA has linear spread of 2.05". 2 MOA has double that is 4.1". Which means the dots cover circles of the given diameters at 200m. Half that at 100m, 1/4th at 50m and so on. It makes absolutely no difference when the target is human sized. None.

Now tell me which you would choose, a cheaper and more robust red dot that lasts for 6 years on a single battery or a fancier and more expensive red dot that needs an AAA battery every month.

Of course, EOTechs offer features that seem very tacticool at first glance, and they are, but are they a necessity? No. So Aimpoint would be the better choice, even though it is expensive.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
What a shit is this!!!!!...Rajkot main dedoge ise 350 rs main banake dedenge..
I mean looking at it does not give a golden or diamond feel, its just polymer made with R&D costs involved, maybe that’s why its expensive as most people don’t buy specially designed triggers plus production cost is far high in the US compared to India PPP wise.

JBH22

If order for 7,50,000 AK-203 is given and production begins in 2025 then all 7,50,000 will be delivered by only 2035. Imagine what US Army would be using then.
This shift to 6.8mm I'm bit sceptical about it.
With respect to future weapons, the AK-47 is still around more that 5decades and likely to remain.
The Ak-203 is a good addition over existing Insas, anything is better than waiting for perfection.

Gessler

Country flag
Italian Para Commandos with newly designed beretta assault rifle, since ARX-160 failed the requirements
View attachment 87245
Looks like an AR15-derived design...piston driven obviously (height of handguard), forward assist moved closer to ejection port & buffer tube substituted with probably a recoil spring (or a couple) on the Bolt carrier itself, enabling use of a folding stock.

In short, seems to be the Italian MCX.

Gessler

Country flag
But we don’t have AKs of the same type, some are stamped, some are milled. Not all AKs can get those mods.
Major Avinash sir on special forces thread, says that the number of AKs available for upgrade are less, and the upgrade kit costs as much or much more than a new AK. Also a lot of AKs are at the end of their lifespan.
True - there is no standardization in the AKs that we have currently. And that's because they were not bought from any one manufacturer or country but an amalgamation of nearly half dozen East European ex-Soviet states, all with different factories, standards & quirks. This type of purchase was necessitated by the emergency faced due to terrorism in J&K in late 80s/early 90s - and the weapons IA had at the time, mostly SLRs, were large, unwieldy & unsuitable for close-range fighting.

For fulfilling an emergency requirement, it was fine. But these AKs could not be expected to fulfill the long-term requirements of a professional military. There would be zero product support - you cannot contact the factory & ask for replacements for broken weapons, modifications based on inputs, or any kind of warranty on the items involved. In many cases, the factories that made these weapons were long shut down following Soviet collapse.

We are not running some rag-tag militia. The fact that these old, unsupported weapons platforms continued to serve till today is appalling and points at the sheer disregard shown by IA top brass to institutionalize the procurement of dedicated weapons & equipment for CI/CT forces...even though its been decades since IA officially took on the responsibility of performing this role, a role which doesn't look like will end anytime in foreseeable future either.

So, any attempt to replace these disparate, old-ass guns with new AKs, manufactured & supported by a local company, is a good decision. A long overdue decision, but a good one. I only have an issue with 3 things:

1) Whether the choice of weapon & calibre originally thought to be intended for CI/CT becoming the standard issue for entirety of IA is a good one (though frontline fighting formations will be receiving SIGs).

2) The price being demanded both for production & licensing (royalties) for a design as widely copied as this.

3) One of the advantages of new-build AKs was that you can get many of the features straight from factory that otherwise would have necessitated a costly import for likes of FAB kits. Whether or not the total price remains justified even when you start removing several of these features in an apparent bid to reduce price.