Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ketaki

Country flag
is it just me or may be...we should have encouraged INSAS series to be "matured/evolved" into better and betters rifles? OR looked for Indian Pvt. companies only?

(here, i am talking about late 90's and early 2000s)

i mean come on yaar... shouldn't we be "atmanirbhar" in the most basics of weapons of armed forces...

sure INSAS had problems but why not punish OFB (by corporatizing/ privatizing it) for that or/and look for private players for the same handing over INSAS tech. to them (just like PSLV is targeted to be manufactured-operated fully by Pvt. industries)?

AK-47 version 1.0 in 1940s/50s was not great but still USSR kept that thing, it got evolved into a lethal machine over the years

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
is it just me or may be...we should have encouraged INSAS series to be "matured/evolved" into better and betters rifles? OR looked for Indian Pvt. companies only?

i mean come on yaar... shouldn't we be "atmanirbhar" in the most basics of weapons of armed forces...

sure INSAS had problems but why not punish OFB (by corporatizing/ privatizing it) for that or/and look for private players for the same handing over INSAS tech. to them (just like PSLV is targeted to be manufactured-operated fully by Pvt. industries)?

AK-47 version 1.0 in 1940s/50s was not great but still USSR kept that thing, it got evolved into a lethal machine over the years
Yeah we should be atmanirbhar that's why we are buying one of the most prolific firearm in human history whom even pakistani in holes with barely 50 dollar setup can make one which even the OFB has made a dozen good copies from russia with royalty so that we can make ak203 in india and call it atmanirbharatha that's our plan and a very terrific one also.

ketaki

Country flag
Yeah we should be atmanirbhar that's why we are buying one of the most prolific firearm in human history whom even pakistani in holes with barely 50 dollar setup can make one which even the OFB has made a dozen good copies from russia with royalty so that we can make ak203 in india and call it atmanirbharatha that's our plan and a very terrific one also.
"even pakistani in holes with barely 50 dollar setup "-- wrong

we have discussed this earlier in DFI ... that gun is good for show off and hawai fire only...cannot be compared with factory made precision/tests

i already mentioned this in my last post...
"(here, i am talking about late 90's and early 2000s)"

we should learn for this mistake and try again in future for a indigenous rifle

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
"even pakistani in holes with barely 50 dollar setup "-- wrong

we have discussed this earlier in DFI ... that gun is good for show off and hawai fire only...cannot be compared with factory made precision/tests
They are still ak what new technique will be OFB getting from ak203 that it doest poses now? From making something here you should gain something that you don't know to make.so OFB doesn't know how to make an ak? And those gun smith are making guns even if they are crap some pretty good ak are also made.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I am still saying a Gas operated M4A1 using M855A1 5.56x45mm crtridges.
Or why not buy out NGSW of USA?

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
I don't care if its a watered down one as long as its got P-Rails for future add ons and proper buttstock, it's more than enough!!
But more importantly it's replacing IN*AS, that's all I care!!
If my AK-203 for my standard infantry weapon looks like this Sako RK95-TP, then it's game set. But the Finns are ready to replace their Sakos to more western AR-15 platforms so that speaks volumes that where we are heading
Screenshot_20210429_115101.jpg

JBH22

If my AK-203 for my standard infantry weapon looks like this Sako RK95-TP, then it's game set. But the Finns are ready to replace their Sakos to more western AR-15 platforms so that speaks volumes that where we are heading
Ak203 for combat units need to be the 'flashy' one with rails for mounting scopes etc. For support units it can be watered version.
Or still better provide the rails, but soldier can have the discretion to addons.

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS

India could have instead continued to use the SLRs instead of making a crappy rifle like the INSAS. Modernized SLRs with lighter and sturdier materials could have been a better choice than INSAS up maybe from late 90s and early to mid 2000.

Whitecollar

Country flag
If only they discussed about AK-203 deal!!
I think somewhere at the back of Modi's mind, aatmnirbhar program is ongoing. He may just scrap the AK deal altogether(looking at deadlines) and go for TAR or he may buy the 203 off the shelf to save time n money as before(in case of 716)

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Production in 2025 , bloody hell .
2021 should be the deaDline
by 2035 (or even 2025 i believe) Russia already would've transitioned to modern Kalashnikovs with AR-style sectioned receiver construction while we still would be kicking ahead with AK+rails on it,
just look at AKV-521's current status,

AKV-521(or AKB-521 in cyrilic) in 5.45x39mm
1619694037643.png

1619694202336.png

AKV-521(or AKB-521 in cyrilic) in 5.56x45mm

AKV-521(or AKB-521 in cyrilic) in 7.62x39mm

😒 meanwhile our recent 5.56x45mm Carbine by OFB predates this current Kalashnikov derivative and yet we aren't seeing any sort of further development in other variants based on that here,
1619695514871.png

You make different upper sections with different length-ed barrels and it's practically same thing.
P.S. I don't like that INSAS chhap charging handle still being continued on further derivatives though, like if our guys want non-reciprocating charging handle and if we could make a sectioned receiver version of INSAS then why can't we adopt to AR-style T-Bar pattern charging handle like what Serbians did with recent Zastava M-19 rifles huh i.e. this pattern
1619695682634.png

Flying Dagger

Country flag
India could have instead continued to use the SLRs instead of making a crappy rifle like the INSAS. Modernized SLRs with lighter and sturdier materials could have been a better choice than INSAS up maybe from late 90s and early to mid 2000.
SLR days were done may be a few could have been used for DMR or sniping role.

Instead should have gone for AK from the beginning or even later. By 90s 2000s western rifle like SCAR and other based on AR platform have proved themselves much better.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Tamilnadu Forest department firearms and ammunitions in their arsenal!!
Your guys thoughts on this??
Screenshot_20210430_000727.jpg

Screenshot_20210430_000746.jpg

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
1619723935222.png

U know its getting more and more helpless everyday.

At the beginning of browsing this forum I used to think we could also have top of the line arms and ammunition factory and the likes of OFB and PSU are just wasting time and money.
After going really deep I realized that this isn't a very lucrative sector to begin with. Arms company all over the world are shutting down the ones surviving have loose guns law like USA and Israel.
It came crashing down on me that this one sector in particular cant be held by private sector without amassing loss after the initial orders. For a country like America it is possible for various companies to survive because they have a very big gun culture which supports the industry regardless of whether there is orders from the military.
OFB might have wasted tax money but they are the only organization that can thrive in this country.

Future does not hold much for the Indian arms sector.

SKC

Country flag
Middle eastern mai job chod du villan ka ab by the way it will be fun to see Chinese troops in Afghanistan they won't last long that's a guarantee
Chinese Peace keeping troops were de-gunned (what's the better official word for this?) by a Japanese convoy within 15-20 min!

Chinese troops had setup a check point in an area and Japanese convoy of 3-4 vehicles was passing through! They had approval from UN task force already to pass through but Chinese guys decided to be rowdy and demanded each of them to come down from vehicles and show their own passes or something like that.
2-3 Japanese soldiers de-gunned whole checkpoint and let them pass through without any issues.
Maybe hear-say. Was posted by verified writer on Quora space 3-4 years back, can't find the article now.