MMRCA news and discussions.

Whats your Choice for the MMRCA Contest?

• Gripen

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • F16 IN

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • F18 SH

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Mig 35

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • Dassault Rafale

Votes: 45 43.7%
  • Eurofighter Typhoon

Votes: 20 19.4%

• Total voters

Tamil

Country flag
mig 35 is still in development,what happens if russians again say that they underestimate cost involved in development etc and repeat another gorshky?:blum3:
no chance for again a delay or cost highs b'cos it loses a valid partner for their defense products...

i always support RUSSIA @ any given Time. 2 or 3 itches will not affect the friendship...

AJSINGH

hi ,iam new to this forum,i am not a defence analyst or something in defence,but according some kind of real experience , i would like to share my view which i have seen in aero 2009
i feel american palnes are cool looking,short take off,may be they have good radars on board but one thing they lack compared to MIG-35 and euro fighter are thrust vectoring ,i feel take mig-35 and implement worthfull radars which isreal is ready to give us,which helps us in many ways,
1.maintainence
2. low price
3.no need of extra training to pilots because they r used to it
4. russia will always help us and support us,its of trust from early 1960's

anayways i have created a site called WWW.BHARAT-DEFENCE.COM can u guys have a look at it and send back me yours valuable opinions.
cannot agree with you more .although there are other parametres to to be considered like cost of owenership etc upgrades etc
why americans are playing such hard ball in MMRCA competition that it is there last time that they can sell their combat aircraft to india after that our own LCA will be online .PAK FAGA will be operational also .so yanks are doing their best to win MMRCA competition

Vladimir79

Professional
What would you say about Vikrimadatya issue, delay in Akula 2,
Clear case of corruption at Sevmash. It doesn't have anything to do with Sokol producing MiG-35.

barallel issue for T-90 tanks.
What barrel issue? The Bsishma is not the Ajeya. It was not us who produced the ill fated AMK-340 round which was so prone to exploding.

p2prada

What barrel issue? The Bsishma is not the Ajeya. It was not us who produced the ill fated AMK-340 round which was so prone to exploding.
DS is talking about the ToT issue for the T-90s barrel. Russia is unwilling to give ToT.

Vladimir79

Professional
DS is talking about the ToT issue for the T-90s barrel. Russia is unwilling to give ToT.
Never heard about that in Russian press, our side of the story was India was delaying due to Arjun decisions. I can't believe we would hold up orders over barrel ToT.

p2prada

Never heard about that in Russian press, our side of the story was India was delaying due to Arjun decisions. I can't believe we would hold up orders over barrel ToT.
India, Russia resolve T90 technology transfer issues
India and Russia seem to have resolved a long standing concern over transfer of key technology for the T90 S Main Battle Tank (MBT). An understanding was reached during the latest round of an Inter Governmental Commission on military cooperation.

The issue, which had been raised by New Delhi over the past few months, had slowed down the production rate of the Russian tank in India. Under the new agreement, Russia has promised to share the specifications of the gun barrel and will transfer all relevant documents by the end of the year.

Earlier, a top ordnance official had conceded that they were facing problems with Russia over Transfer of Technology (ToT) for the gun barrel and the 130 mm armour plating of the tank. While an effort has been made to develop the armour indigenously, India needs the technical specifications of the gun barrel from Russia to complete the ToT.
This is a 2008 news. My guess is Russia did not want India to go the China way and reverse engineer it for the Arjun. Must have been a precaution or just unwillingness to hand over technology. That was worked out after a long time though.

Vladimir79

Professional
India, Russia resolve T90 technology transfer issues

This is a 2008 news. My guess is Russia did not want India to go the China way and reverse engineer it for the Arjun. Must have been a precaution or just unwillingness to hand over technology. That was worked out after a long time though.
The news we got was trouble from Indian side developing Arjun.

"Причиной этого стали задержка разработки собственного основного боевого танка Arjun"

I wonder if it is so or just anti-Russian media. It makes little sense to me.

p2prada

The news we got was trouble from Indian side developing Arjun.

"Причиной этого стали задержка разработки собственного основного боевого танка Arjun"

I wonder if it is so or just anti-Russian media. It makes little sense to me.
The ToT issue was revealed by an official working at the factory...or so the story goes.

I don't see why the Arjun will lead to delays in the T-90 project. They are separate projects. The Army is pushing for the T-90 anyways, so if anything happens, Arjun should be delayed rather than the T-90.

One thing confirmed is that the T-90 will use Indian armor(Kanchan) since Russia refused ToT on the armor.

PS: I have no idea what that Russian part means....

s_bman

EXCLUSIVE: IAF Wants Extra Radar Mode On MMRCA AESAs
For all the stated technological advancements present in the only two operational AESA radars competing in the MMRCA competition, the Indian Air Force has informed the two principle integrators (Boeing and Lockheed-Martin respectively) that radar modes available on the Northrop-Grumman AN/APG-80 radar (F-16IN) and the Raytheon AN/APG-79 (F/A-18E/F) do not include a specific one that the IAF refuses to do without: the "weather radar mode". Though both Boeing and Lockheed-Martin tried to convince the IAF that their respective radars (and integrated avionics) were built to provide data and flightpath solutions through, over or around bad weather, the IAF has insisted that it wants the AESAs offered with a traditional weather radar mode as a separate mode option. The default modes demanded by the IAF, excluding interleaved and data-fused modes, are air-to-air search, air-to-air track, ocean surface search, synthetic aperture radar (SAR) mapping, ground/sea target indicator and track and active beam mapping.

Lockheed-Martin has made it official now that the APG-80 radar will therefore undergo a certain amount of further development work to meet the IAF's requirement. This applies to Raytheon as well.

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: EXCLUSIVE: IAF Wants Extra Radar Mode On MMRCA AESAs

Vladimir79

Professional
PS: I have no idea what that Russian part means....
It says what I just stated, that the delay in T-90 was caused by indecision on future of Arjun.

I don't see why the Arjun will lead to delays in the T-90 project. They are separate projects. The Army is pushing for the T-90 anyways, so if anything happens, Arjun should be delayed rather than the T-90.
The issue is resolved now, but at the time it seemed India wanted Arjun to play a bigger role which left T-90 up in the air. That indecision would cause delays.

One thing confirmed is that the T-90 will use Indian armor(Kanchan) since Russia refused ToT on the armor.
Installing ERA shouldn't effect a time line. You can put that on at any time.

purplemarco

MMRCA trials: Chance to match highest take-off record | StratPost

The highest location from where the F-16 has taken off so far is Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, Colorado at an elevation of 6,035 feet. Colorado Springs is also the location of the United States Air Force Academy. Peterson Air Force Base, according to John Giese of Lockheed Martin, could also be safely considered the location with the thinnest density of air from where an F-16 has taken off. Leh is at an altitude of around 10,500 feet.

With restrictions being placed on information about the trials that could be given out by the participating companies, Giese had this to say. “Let me put it this way. We have been aware of this. We have great faith in the aircraft.” Is it going to be a big deal for Lockheed Martin? The vendor seems well aware of the bragging rights that come with a take-off from Leh. “Let’s just say that after this trial, Colorado Springs will no longer be the highest place from where an F-16 would have taken off,” he says, with an excited grin that can be sensed even over the phone.

p2prada

The issue is resolved now, but at the time it seemed India wanted Arjun to play a bigger role which left T-90 up in the air. That indecision would cause delays.
No, sir. Indian Army never wanted the Arjun. They had been against the Arjun even before the T-90 deal was made. Politics I guess.

Installing ERA shouldn't effect a time line. You can put that on at any time.
Kanchan is the base armor. ERA is different. The current T-90s will have the kanchan armor and a new ERA being developed. That's why manufacturing in India took some time to take off.

p2prada

sweet that might close the deal for US.
If you are referring to the F-16 take off, then hold on to your hats. The competition has only begun. All fighters are expected to take off from Leh satisfactorily.

But, none of them are expected to reach the LCAs level.

shankarosky

really dont know what is the price we have to ultimately pay for the nuclear deal -is f-18 part of the package -most likely not but you can never be sure

rakesh

Which is the most reliable competitor in MMRCA?Which AC will be most strategic ?

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Super Viper: F-16IN aircrafts tailored to meet IAF's needs

Bangalore: As the race for bagging the 10$ billion Medium Multi Role Combat Aircraft order from India hots up, US aerospace major Lockheed Martin today raised its sales pitch saying its fighter plane, F-16IN, is tailored exclusively to meet the IAF's requirements.

"The F-16IN is the right choice for the Indian Air Force and is ready for integration to India's infrastructure and operations now," Jack Giese, Lockheed's International Communication Manager, told reporters here.

IAF had recently conducted flight evaluation and performance trials in Bangalore for six foreign defence firms, including LockheedMartin's F-16INSuper Viper, vying to bag the order for 126 MMRCAs.

The Super Viper has the most advanced technologies and capabilities available today on the international market, including the Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Radar, net-centric warfare capability, advanced survivability features, a modern all-digital glass cockpit, Jim Benson Hedge, the pilot who has 2000 hrs of flying the F-16, said.

The radar is a revolutionary all-weather precision targeting sensor with ultra-high resolution synthetic aperture mapping and automatic terrain following and air to air tracking of multiple targets, the company said.

Benson said the fighter not only meets the IAF requirements but also exceeds some of them. "It gives a pilot more time to make the best decisions" On the chances of winning the order, Jack said "We are extremely confident of our product".
Super Viper: F-16IN aircrafts tailored to meet IAF's needs - dnaindia.com

AJSINGH

If you are referring to the F-16 take off, then hold on to your hats. The competition has only begun. All fighters are expected to take off from Leh satisfactorily.

But, none of them are expected to reach the LCAs level.
there is a high possibility that SV will lose because pakistan operates it.plus in terms of agility it losses out to Mig 35 because the latter has TVC .so lets see how this turns up
if there is any chance of yankee aircraft winning then that aircraft is SH not SV

the requirments of MMRCA is strange ,on one hand you have medium weight SV.gripen single engine whereas on the other hand you have heavy weight twin engine SH EF ,MIG 35

AJSINGH

Super Viper: F-16IN aircrafts tailored to meet IAF's needs

Bangalore: As the race for bagging the 10$ billion Medium Multi Role Combat Aircraft order from India hots up, US aerospace major Lockheed Martin today raised its sales pitch saying its fighter plane, F-16IN, is tailored exclusively to meet the IAF's requirements.

"The F-16IN is the right choice for the Indian Air Force and is ready for integration to India's infrastructure and operations now," Jack Giese, Lockheed's International Communication Manager, told reporters here.

IAF had recently conducted flight evaluation and performance trials in Bangalore for six foreign defence firms, including LockheedMartin's F-16INSuper Viper, vying to bag the order for 126 MMRCAs.

The Super Viper has the most advanced technologies and capabilities available today on the international market, including the Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Radar, net-centric warfare capability, advanced survivability features, a modern all-digital glass cockpit, Jim Benson Hedge, the pilot who has 2000 hrs of flying the F-16, said.

The radar is a revolutionary all-weather precision targeting sensor with ultra-high resolution synthetic aperture mapping and automatic terrain following and air to air tracking of multiple targets, the company said.

Benson said the fighter not only meets the IAF requirements but also exceeds some of them. "It gives a pilot more time to make the best decisions" On the chances of winning the order, Jack said "We are extremely confident of our product".
Super Viper: F-16IN aircrafts tailored to meet IAF's needs - dnaindia.com
SV has possibility to loose out on political decision because Pakistan air force operates it plus IAF also said that the exsisting Mirage 2000 have almost the same capability as of SV .Let's get straight to what the IAF and Defence Ministry don't like at all about the F-16. The fact that there is a steady phase-out/replacement programme underway in the US, despite Lockheed-Martin's repeated insistence that there are four large busy production lines. The fact that the US isn't buying anymore Falcons is enough to put serious doubts into India's mind. Picking up early on this, Lockheed has managed to convincingly drive home the point that the F-16 is the logical bridge to the F-35 Lightning II, though this is viewed by the IAF as too crafty. It's almost a fake pledge, considering the gargantual clearances and procedures that would be necessary for India to be considered a buyer of a fifth generation fighter plane. Lockheed's pitch about the F-35 has therefore backfired in parts. A senior IAF officer, recently retired, says "While we were initially only doubtful, the F-35 pitch proved beyond doubt that Lockheed is trying to squeeze the last few drops out of its F-16 production lines, and the Indian requirement is too mouth-watering for them to ignore." The fact that the aircraft is operated by a lot of other countries, ironically, has a minor backlash effect as well on the IAF -- some of the top brass feel that an ambitious new purchase like the MMRCA contract, should be for a unique and exclusive aircraft, not one that is owned and operated by a huge number of other countries (including Pakistan -- the radar signature debate holds credence, incidentally), even though they do reluctantly agree that under the bonnet, the F-16IN is hardly comparable to previous variants of the same type. Finally, relations with the Obama administration have cooled considerably compared to the phonecall-a-minute diplomacy with Bush Jr, and this itself has somewhat blunted the throbbing needle pointing to Washington, even though the President has made it clear that he plans to keep up the evolving strategic dialogue with India.
LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: MMRCA Part 1 - The F-16IN Super Viper

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles