Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

JBH22

Can someone explain me what is trap holes ?how it has been rectified in T-90MS

bose

Country flag
Can anyone tell me... do we have plans to upgrade the older T-90 into the latest T-90AM / T- 90 MS standard ? or do we have any planes to produce the T-90 AM / T- 90 MS in subsquent years ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The plans are to add a AC and APU also BMS..

No Major structural changes..

Damian

Ok guys, it seems You need explanation.

A so called weak zones are not holes in armor (not in most cases), these are areas where armor is weaker than on the other places on the same surface.

These drawings are complete fantasy and BS. Especially for the M1. This is how real weak zone on the M1 looks like:

Blue - No Weak Zones.
Red - Weak Zones.
Green - Potentially weak zone that is inside hull reinforced by fuel tanks acting like addon armor.

As we can see, besides very thick front hull "beak" armor, front hull is also reinforced by fuel tanks acting like a addon internal spaced armor.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What kind of Gaps can you point out ? I can just see one for LWR or what ever it is but there is still composite turret behind it.

Their is no composite Armour behind small mantel and turret ring..

The turret ring is very much exposed in T-80 and in latest T-90MS..

Ok guys, it seems You need explanation.

A so called weak zones are not holes in armor (not in most cases), these are areas where armor is weaker than on the other places on the same surface.
Better explained..

Last edited:

Austin

Its very interesting to see the way ERA is placed on T-90S/C versus T-90MS.

For T-90S the ERA is as typical as MS on the frontal turret but on top its flat where ever they are used.

T-90MS on the other had has more angle ERA on the entire Turret where ever it is used , I think the flat slender ERA is missing there.

I really dont know what thought process has gone into building a angled ERA over Flat ERA , may be the Relikt performs better with angled ERA plates and its angled in such a way that any hit and subsequent the plates that move away will move 30 to 60 degree upward and not side ways this is to prevent the infantary getting hurt incase it just moves straight or side ways and perhaps even to prevent the Optics taking the hit.

I dont know why that area marked by arrow is a weak spot since it pointing to ERA and I am sure you can put an ERA on every inch of the turret as much you would like to do. You are probably better off thickning the composite armour of top turret.

As far i can see the Gun area has some armour in that in a typical angle not sure if its era or composite armour , the T-90S has none there.

The turret ring certainly looks more exposed compared to even T-90 ,relikt certainly has some strange ways on how it is placed.

Andrei_bt

Trap holes how ?
It is so called "vulnerable zones" where the armor protection is significantly lower the normal.
Shot traps are locations on the exterior of an armored vehicle where impacting shells are deflected to a weaker or vulnerable point in the armor, or simply guided to hit the vehicle, instead of bouncing or skimming off. Shot traps are undesirable features in armored vehicle design/

Andrei_bt

Its very interesting to see the way ERA is placed on T-90S/C versus T-90MS.

For T-90S the ERA is as typical as MS on the frontal turret but on top its flat where ever they are used.

T-90MS on the other had has more angle ERA on the entire Turret where ever it is used , I think the flat slender ERA is missing there.

I really dont know what thought process has gone into building a angled ERA over Flat ERA , may be the Relikt performs better with angled ERA plates and its angled in such a way that any hit and subsequent the plates that move away will move 30 to 60 degree upward and not side ways this is to prevent the infantary getting hurt incase it just moves straight or side ways and perhaps even to prevent the Optics taking the hit.

I dont know why that area marked by arrow is a weak spot since it pointing to ERA and I am sure you can put an ERA on every inch of the turret as much you would like to do. You are probably better off thickning the composite armour of top turret.

As far i can see the Gun area has some armour in that in a typical angle not sure if its era or composite armour , the T-90S has none there.

The turret ring certainly looks more exposed compared to even T-90 ,relikt certainly has some strange ways on how it is placed.
The reason of such placement of ERA on T-90MS is it's new turret design with hump on the turret top (the area of with thin valnurable armor)

Basicly the T-90S and T-90SM look like this -

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
AFAIK, The turret size is increased upwards a little for space in the tank, But the area is exposed to frontal attacks, Also their is very less armor their certainly not composite coz of lesser thickness of Armour..

Note the Commander hatch and inside is all electronics..

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
So if Anti tank weapon can attack with accuracy on this area it will damage the tank, Now all you need is anti tank missile which can store data about tank and attack on these points, once it launch against a tank. I heard Nag also does something like that.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
So if Anti tank weapon can attack with accuracy on this area it will damage the tank, Now all you need is anti tank missile which can store data about tank and attack on these points, once it launch against a tank. I heard Nag also does something like that.
It will kill it, Coz of lack of Armour thickness..

Also, If ERA were blown up and a shell impact in that area it will penetrate inside directly to commander or Gunner, either side..

Austin

If anti-tank hit the top of the turret for any Tank in the world it would most likely penetrate the turret and blow it off , more so if you are dealing with 152 mm anti-tank weapon with CE of 1200 - 1300 mm, it is for this reason they have top attack capability for anti-tank missile as the thickness of top of turret is much lower compared to side and front and far lower over the hatch.

Austin

The reason of such placement of ERA on T-90MS is it's new turret design with hump on the turret top (the area of with thin valnurable armor)

Basicly the T-90S and T-90SM look like this -
Thanks you are right the turret is raised by atleast 8 inches near the commander copula.

I get the feeling there are atleast more then one prototype of T-90MS and various configuration.

For check this image of T-90MS http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WER1jPJ5g...MM/ceQ6CsypVIQ/s1600/T-90MS_4%D0%BE%D0%BA.jpg

This is the front of the turret and it well covers the rear , that is what the claim as safe manouvering area I think , May be Damian can confirm this.

In that picture the turret seems well covered with ERA and the bulge is not visible from front which is probably most important for any tank.

And there is the other picture http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OerbXmzQO6Y/TnTHdmeTyYI/AAAAAAAAAh0/DAjETI5biEY/s1600/T-90MS_eng-13.jpg

This shows a different arrangement for ERA and the turret.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles