Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Damian

but if you look closely at T90M specially at the sides, you will know what i am saying.
T-90, T-90A and T-90S side protection is similiar to all other modern tanks, look at western tanks, designers are also improving their side protection, so does Russians with T-90MS and Ukrainians with T-84M Oplot-M.

T90M protection proves that T90S does not have adequate protection.
Depends against what.

BTW:

Ammunition penetration levels estimations table was made by Militarysta with my small help.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
T-90, T-90A and T-90S side protection is similiar to all other modern tanks, look at western tanks, designers are also improving their side protection, so does Russians with T-90MS and Ukrainians with T-84M Oplot-M.

T-90A/S turret Sides & back are most vulnerable..

On T-90Ms they put ERA and Thin sheet of Metal above, It covers the exposed zone as it was previously on T-90A/S..

Damian

Yes Kunal You are right, I mean that side and rear protection of most T-90 models is same as in other modern tanks. Side turret protection is weak yes, but in conventional conflict it is not exposed within safe manouvering angles. Adding ERA and thin (probably) aluminium cover increase protection against RPG's.

sayareakd

Country flag
Yes Kunal You are right, I mean that side and rear protection of most T-90 models is same as in other modern tanks. Side turret protection is weak yes, but in conventional conflict it is not exposed within safe manouvering angles. Adding ERA and thin (probably) aluminium cover increase protection against RPG's.
what you are saying is that side protection in all T90 tanks are weak (same as any other modern tank), but it is not of much concern in conventional war. In simple english.

Singh

Phat Cat
Country flag
How well would T-90s fare in urban warfare ? with the upcoming upgrades, can it be said to be equivalent to TUSK Abrams ?

If we do go in for cold start approach, then we surely would occupy urban areas of Pakistan for an upperhand on the negotiation table.

sayareakd

Country flag
Singh we should avoid urban area at all cost, once inside urban area, you need only PSO version.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

from my scan.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
AFAIK, Most elite force consist of T-90S and Arjun MK-1 are spear of attack, the flanking cover is provided by T-72M1 AJAYA 2 in Huge armored formations..

Damian

How well would T-90s fare in urban warfare ? with the upcoming upgrades, can it be said to be equivalent to TUSK Abrams ?
Depends what T-90 You have in mind, what upgrades You have in mind. :)

A lesson learned from Tusk upgrade ?
Perhaps, the TUSK-2 kit actually have dual layer ERA on hull sides and ERA + base composite armor on turret sides.

The M32 ARAT-2 ERA cassettes are interesting, especially their shape.

Andrei_bt

On T-90Ms they put ERA and Thin sheet of Metal above, It covers the exposed zone as it was previously on T-90A/S..
T-90S - "modernized".
It does not provide protection against tandem CE, also against monoblock CE (hull).
This protection is the same basically as on 80-s era tanks, but slightly stretched to cover more side hull area.

Andrei_bt

Examples of anti-tandem side protection-

and depandance of ERA (conv entional type) on the angel of impact.

Damian

Knife and Duplet are completely different and I admitt, interesting designs compared to more classic ERA.

Can I ask for more photos of Knife and Duplet cassettes? Especially these not nececary that can be found in internet. Also there are any photos of cassettes after detonation?

Andrei_bt

Knife and Duplet are completely different and I admitt, interesting designs compared to more classic ERA.

Can I ask for more photos of Knife and Duplet cassettes? Especially these not nececary that can be found in internet. Also there are any photos of cassettes after detonation?

You may not found cassettes after detonation as they are 100% reliable against CE and kinetic energy projectiles.
(in simple words it is impossible to find them in real fire tests, finding the remnants of APFSDS projectiles is also complicated, but I provided photos of French APFSDS fired from 120 mm cannon)
*linked removed*

Last edited:

Damian

Ahh, so cassette just simply and completely "desintegrates" after detonation. Interesting, thank You.

Andrei_bt

Ahh, so cassette just simply and completely "desintegrates" after detonation. Interesting, thank You.
like any other ERA which is initiated - link removed .
The main question for ERA is it's effectiveness, cover of protected areas, durability and initiation.