Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

p2prada

Surprise, surprise. The T-72M1 production in India continued until 2007. I did not know this. This allowed for speedy retirement of Vijayanta and T-55 tanks.

Damian

Ahhh, nothing smells like a good PR. ;)

Last edited:

Austin

I think they still need to apply more ERA on top of the turret although the other areas are well covered by ERA , the top of turret still needs smaller ERA to completely cover it.

Damian

Polish ERAWA-1 and ERAWA-2 is using very small, tight covering cassettes.

ERAWA-2 is rather advanced light ERA, and proved high performance even against tandem warhead PzF-3.

Austin

Seems like the front and semi-top of Polish tank is well covered with Light ERA but need to see the Top and BAck of the turret.

Even the DRDO T-72 CIA upgrade covers well the Glacis , Front Chasis , Side Chasis and most frontal part of Turret but strangely leaves the part side and complete back uncovered , not sure why they do that for other wise well covered ERA , one would need just a RPG-29 on the side and back to blow this thing off. Considering its a cast turret its protection level will be lower

Check the photo of T-72 CIA

Front http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LqIeQKbWZ...AAOXg/uLFYjPXE42k/s1600/DSC02530-1-789322.JPG
Back http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LqIeQKbWZ...AAOXg/uLFYjPXE42k/s1600/DSC02530-1-789322.JPG

DRDO literature praises the CIA upgrade quite well.

Check Page 6 DRDO Tech Focus

Among other things calls it Excellent Ride Comfort , WoW what magic did they do with CIA that it makes into Excellent Ride Comfort ?

Man i could give my Fiat to DRDO and it would convert it to excellent ride comfort :)

There is also a provision for escape hatch , T-55 style ?

p2prada

I think there have been major modifications to the engine, transmission and suspension. I am quite certain the T-72 uses a 950HP engine.

There is also a reference to superior strategic and tactical mobility. Tactical mobility would mean a better on field performance and ride comfort may have been a criteria.

Austin

Hmm most certainly not the CIA uses the new engine , it uses the older engine as existing T-72.

The more comprehensive upgrade of T-72 now in trial will use 1000 hp engine.

Well DRDO is just putting some nice adjectives to CIA upgrade thats it. Any way the upgrade is quite good nothing to complain about over what T-72 was.

p2prada

Hmm most certainly not the CIA uses the new engine , it uses the older engine as existing T-72.

The more comprehensive upgrade of T-72 now in trial will use 1000 hp engine.

Well DRDO is just putting some nice adjectives to CIA upgrade thats it. Any way the upgrade is quite good nothing to complain about over what T-72 was.
I was led to believe CVRDE has uprated the current engine to deliver more power. I don't think it is the new T-90 engine. Maybe a new upgrade as you say.

Any idea what type of TI the T-72 uses?

Austin

I was led to believe CVRDE has uprated the current engine to deliver more power. I don't think it is the new T-90 engine. Maybe a new upgrade as you say.
No not really no uprating of Engine took place for T-72 CIA upgrade , the deeply modernised T-72 is mentioned to be using the same T-90 engine and trials are going on now. This is really a complete deep upgrade giving it almost a T-90 like capability , with TI , New FCS , Engine , AC etc

Any idea what type of TI the T-72 uses?
From ELOP TISAS

p2prada

No not really no uprating of Engine took place for T-72 CIA upgrade , the deeply modernised T-72 is mentioned to be using the same T-90 engine and trials are going on now. This is really a complete deep upgrade giving it almost a T-90 like capability , with TI , New FCS , Engine , AC etc
That's pretty good. Who are the partner companies doing the upgrades? Russia? Israel? Europe?

From ELOP TISAS
That's only for 300 tanks which are being upgraded. The 700 T-72s upgraded to Ajeya don't use this IMO. Will this be used for the rest of the T-72s as well?

Austin

That's pretty good. Who are the partner companies doing the upgrades? Russia? Israel? Europe?
Its a multi vendor trial on going difficult to say who will win in the end but I its easy to see things like Engine will come from Russia , TI from Israel , FCS could be polish or russian and aircondition is open seems all seem to perform unsatisfactory during extereme test of desert.

Interestingly Russians are themself opting for T-72 upgrade , its being upgraded to BA standard , I will try to find more details its on Gur Khan sight though.

That's only for 300 tanks which are being upgraded. The 700 T-72s upgraded to Ajeya don't use this IMO. Will this be used for the rest of the T-72s as well?
From what I know all T-72 upgrade CIA or Deep will progressively receive TS even if its stand alone type.

The army is investing in T-72 upgrade so extensively makes me believe they still have faith on its performance and hence worth the penny which is as per Shukla nearly 5 Cr for each tank and they are pretty comfortable with using T-72 for a long time , inspite of T-90 and Arjun being an option.

Damian

Burlak is preatty interesing design, especially the ERA arrangement, however the question is, these ERA cassettes won't obscure gunner sights view? Especially in minus elevation of main weapons and sights?

p2prada

The army is investing in T-72 upgrade so extensively makes me believe they still have faith on its performance and hence worth the penny which is as per Shukla nearly 5 Cr for each tank and they are pretty comfortable with using T-72 for a long time , inspite of T-90 and Arjun being an option.
The T-72 is not very old. So, no chance of them being retired. They are cheaper and the enemy isn't any better. Not to mention we have superiority in the air and only getting better.

@andrei's post

I would love to know what goes on Number 18 in the diagram.

Global Defence

Articles