Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Austin

Only over turret front, T-90MS side turret armor is the same thin 70-80mm RHA just covered by ERA contrary to older T-90's.
I think we are saying the same thing , the 90MS has an extra ERA layer protection over basic side armour that improves protection level.

Although i have doubt about the 70-80 mm thickness of T-90 side armour , because the protection level by just adding ERA was mentioned for KE as 300 mm and 550 for CE by designer , So we are looking at more than 4 times improvement in protection level of MS for KE by just adding ERA , which i have my doubts , I would think the side armour protection of T-90 is greater then 70-80 mm .......Mindstorm had a different opinion on this.

In the same time Jane's reported only M829, it is very unclear what ammunition was tested.
Lets call it the gray area.

BTW the ~ new 740 mm round is ready as Gur Khan mentioned in a response to my query in the blog and yes the MS has the modified autoloader to carry it.

jat

Damian's excuse for the Arjun is simple. He believes that the Indian Army didn't know what they where doing when they printed the QSR and handed it to DRDO. Ontop of that India possibly can't build a better tank that Russia's T-90 who have decades of experience.

Refuting this is simple, the Indian army asked for a rifled gun. I don't think the Indian army is stupid.
Japan doesn't have a lot of experience building tanks, but their Type 90 out performs the modern T-90 still! Thanks to international collaboration.

p2prada

Prasun Gupta - the self proclaimed "defence expert with combat experience". Who BTW, has been proven wrong in article after article (the last joke being his claim the Prahar was an Israeli LORA, then EXTRA, then hasty edits after the fact). C'mon guys, choose your sources better.
See. Out of all your posts, this is probably the only line I would agree with.

The rest about how awesome the Arjun is and how kick azz DRDO is, I would not ask you to prove it because it is impossible for you but will see it on my own as and when the time comes.

I guess Arjun Mk2 induction will happen a year or two before the T-90s assembly closes. That's how it looks like.

BTW, HESH is dead. Army loved it when the technology level they used was in the 60s with Vijayanta and T-55. Now HEAT rounds are better for the same purpose. IAF loved Sabres too, does not mean the technology can be relevant today.

I am awaiting a rant about how I am a kid and need to go to school instead of wasting time here and stuff like that.

p2prada

I think we are saying the same thing , the 90MS has an extra ERA layer protection over basic side armour that improves protection level.

Although i have doubt about the 70-80 mm thickness of T-90 side armour , because the protection level by just adding ERA was mentioned for KE as 300 mm and 550 for CE by designer , So we are looking at more than 4 times improvement in protection level of MS for KE by just adding ERA , which i have my doubts , I would think the side armour protection of T-90 is greater then 70-80 mm .......Mindstorm had a different opinion on this.
Damian is talking about the RHA on the sides and back.

BTW the ~ new 740 mm round is ready as Gur Khan mentioned in a response to my query in the blog and yes the MS has the modified autoloader to carry it.
From what I heard there were production issues with this round. Vassily is of the opinion the production issues came with all the restructuring in the Russian arms industry which led to bad management in the initial years. There were also some technical problems.

BTW, even the current T-90 can carry 740mm shells. The modification was done on the T-90A. The MS adds a second autoloader.

Austin

Damian , I just got a confirmation from Gur Khan that the ~ 740 mm round exist but not been approved for export by MOD , So far being in use domestically.

p2prada

Damian , I just got a confirmation from Gur Khan that the ~ 740 mm round exist but not been approved for export by MOD , So far being in use domestically.
I had already mentioned this some 20 pages back. :)

They have 400 odd tanks which can use the new shell. Perhaps it will be available for export once their orders are done. They have DU rounds but cannot be exported.

p2prada

Have been looking for specs for the M388. Don't see any good reference for it. I already know it is equivalent to the DM-53/63 and it is newer. A Russian 740mm penetrator may give it the same capability as the DM-53/63 if everything else is the same.

Is there some reliable info on the 42M?

If we achieve a similar breakthrough for the Arjun APFSDS, even something close, we may eventually see it on the T-90 as well. The Israelis took 10 years longer than the Germans in making a DM-63 equivalent shell. If we take 10 years from there then it would mean we can have a DM-63 type shell ready by another 5 years. Pretty good. Even faster if we have had Israeli assistance in this regard. But I wonder if they will be happy enough to give away such technology.

The 42M is the closest to the DM-63 IMO and the Russians have had it since quite some time, probably the same time the Israelis introduced the M388.

Goes to show where the Americans are. Damn. :)

Austin

Damian is talking about the RHA on the sides and back.
Yes i know what he says is its 70-80 mm RHA for Side and Back for KE

What we know from T-90MS specs is that it has 300 mm KE for side and back ,becuase they have added ERA to original side and back turret. From 80 to 300 mm for ERA is a big leap of faith almost puts it up by 4x , so the basic assumption that it is 70-80 mm for side and back could be erroneous.

From what I heard there were production issues with this round. Vassily is of the opinion the production issues came with all the restructuring in the Russian arms industry which led to bad management in the initial years. There were also some technical problems.
Vassily is not much updated on latest happening as compared to Gur Khan who has direct access to UVZ , he was the one who broke the news of 740 mm round. Though Vassily is a good reference for older stuff used any way they both are on a russian blog so they must be sharing infromation.

BTW, even the current T-90 can carry 740mm shells. The modification was done on the T-90A. The MS adds a second autoloader
Second Autoloader , AFAIK it has only one autoloader which is modified to carry bigger round , Gur Khan mentioned to me that exisiting T-90 loader can easily be modified to carry this big dart , but if the current T-90 loader can carry it without modification is not known.

Austin

Have been looking for specs for the M388. Don't see any good reference for it. I already know it is equivalent to the DM-53/63 and it is newer. A Russian 740mm penetrator may give it the same capability as the DM-53/63 if everything else is the same.
I really dont think length of the rod is a good indicator to find out its penetrating capability , although its true as well that longer US rods have claimed better penetration figures for equivalent RHA figures. having said that some country could probably engineer a better APFSDS which may be a bit shorter but could achieve the same penetration.

Hence comparing a German or US rod to say a Israel or Russian simply on the basis of length is not a accurate way to judge things
Is there some reliable info on the 42M?
Some one told me they were never put into production due to manafacturing issue but i need to confirm the status of 42M with Gur Khan.

If we achieve a similar breakthrough for the Arjun APFSDS, even something close, we may eventually see it on the T-90 as well. The Israelis took 10 years longer than the Germans in making a DM-63 equivalent shell. If we take 10 years from there then it would mean we can have a DM-63 type shell ready by another 5 years. Pretty good. Even faster if we have had Israeli assistance in this regard. But I wonder if they will be happy enough to give away such technology.
I think most country will protects its core product or top notch stuff and will sell what is not the very latest , i think we will have to design our own APFSDS rather then relying on Israel or Russia to piggy back us.

p2prada

What we know from T-90MS specs is that it has 300 mm KE for side and back ,becuase they have added ERA to original side and back turret. From 80 to 300 mm for ERA is a big leap of faith almost puts it up by 4x , so the basic assumption that it is 70-80 mm for side and back could be erroneous.
Agreed.

Vassily is not much updated on latest happening as compared to Gur Khan who has direct access to UVZ , he was the one who broke the news of 740 mm round. Though Vassily is a good reference for older stuff used any way they both are on a russian blog so they must be sharing infromation.
Vassily's information is very old regarding the management issue. I doubt it applies anymore. I would take Gur Khan's opinion any day if he is talking about Russian tanks.

Second Autoloader , AFAIK it has only one autoloader which is modified to carry bigger round , Gur Khan mentioned to me that exisiting T-90 loader can easily be modified to carry this big dart , but if the current T-90 loader can carry it without modification is not known.
There is supposed to be a second autoloader in the turret bustle carrying some 15 rounds. From what I know our version of the T-90 already has the new modification to carry the 740mm round. Correct me if I am wrong.

There is a possibility Gur Khan could be talking about Russian T-90s which may or may not have said modification.

Austin

There is supposed to be a second autoloader in the turret bustle carrying some 15 rounds. From what I know our version of the T-90 already has the new modification to carry the 740mm round. Correct me if I am wrong.

There is a possibility Gur Khan could be talking about Russian T-90s which may or may not have said modification.
Oh no plain simple rumour , I did ask Gur Khan about it , the Rear Turret Bustle is just a place to store additional ammo and to remove the loose ammo from inside the turret and transfer to rear bustle , it does not have a autoloader nor does it have a sliding mechanism from inside the rear turret to load it into the autoloader manually.

If they want to load the 10 additional ammo after finishing the 21 + 10 ready available one in the under floor loader and in safer rear part of turret , they will have to get out of the tank and load it manually , preferably after taking the tank to a safer location incase they are at war.

Gur Khan mentioned that UVZ engineer did not wanted the rear bustle ammo storage but was added at the insistence of MOD. ( MOD thought 31 was too low to have )

UVZ reasoning was the new FC system Kalina was so accurate that it guranteed them 21 out of 22 hits hence it was enough for the job.

I dont think the current Indian T-90 Autoloder can carry the longer 740 mm APFSDS but GurKhan told me its a minor modification.

Austin

Yes BTW he did confirm that 740 mm round is being used domestically , so i would think the Russian T-90A has some modification to load longer rod.

What i realise is its very difficult to get information of domestic equipment in use by Russian Army unless some one speaks out or in case of Aviation authors like Yefim Gordon puts out information on inservice equipment.

Austin

p2prada .Can you confirm the T-90 production till date , Mr Prasun Sungupta has this to say on his blog

Total T-90S holdings so far are 310 + 347 + 150. The 310 + 347 have the 2A46M-2 cannon which can fire only Russia-supplied ammo, while the 150 built by HVF have the 2A46M cannon, which can fire the 125mm APFSDS rounds made by the OFB as well as the IMI-built CL-3254 (Mk1) & CL-3579 (Mk2) rounds. The first 310 T-90S MBTs are now due for a mid-life upgrade. An additional 503 T-90S MBTs are due for rollout from HVF Avadi and these too will have the 2A46M cannon. However, the original licence-production contract could well be modified to allow the off-the-shelf procurement from Uralvagonzavod JSC of about 300 T-90AMs (or T-90MS) equipped with 2A46M-5 cannons (and capable of firing only Russia-supplied ammo), in which case only another 203 (and not 503) T-90S would roll out of HVF. There is also an option to eventually upgrade the T-90S into the T-90AM/MS standard with the help of upgrade kits supplied directly from Russia.

Damian

It is definetly ~70-80mm RHA protected by ERA, just look at the turret on pics, nothing changed from T-90A, and ERA is newer 4S24 type, so it is not so immposible to achieve such protection (it depends of course about what KE ammunition designers was talking, it can be 300mm against for example 40mm APFSDS not a 120mm APFSDS).

The 310 + 347 have the 2A46M-2 cannon which can fire only Russia-supplied ammo, while the 150 built by HVF have the 2A46M cannon, which can fire the 125mm APFSDS rounds made by the OFB as well as the IMI-built CL-3254 (Mk1) & CL-3579 (Mk2) rounds.
Why they can't fire the same ammunition? Both are smoothbores and the same caliber, something is not right here.

Damian

The designers in those countries are not morons, Damian. You would approach the usage of that term, to have not even realized the simple fact that designers design according to threat perception and user requirements.

If you don't even understand this basic fact then you have no business attempting to play expert-expert, and then thinking that your silly sarcasm would somehow pass muster. Guess what, it didn't. My dear Discovery Channel expert (since you so love the term), India went for the 120 mm rifled because it had a beautiful experience with the 105mm rifled on its Vijayanta, and because the Army asked for HESH.

If you had actually any idea of how devastating HESH rounds can be versus even fortified structures you'd understand. Because the Pakistanis were at the time putting pillboxes behind their first line of DCBs. As such it was essential the Arjun have a cost effective round it could lob in plenty, plus have a FSAPDS for its primary role against other tanks. So you didn't know this, congratulations. What you apparently also didn't know is the Arjun 120 mm rifled was a clean sheet design developed at the time with design consultancy with an European firm. They could have gone for a smoothbore, but chose not to, given the requirements and detailed input into design growth potential.

So, one - the whole world argument is arguably one of the most ridiculous you have made so far. And second, as usual, with zero knowledge of the context or what the Arjun gun has achieved in actual trials versus the T-90. Third, something about the real world, not book knowledge - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's rule number of 1 of prudent engineering practise. I am dismayed they didn't follow your gracious advise about the entire world (which in 90% of cases license produced existing designs from either the Soviet or German baseline as versus developing their own tailored to their requirements as India did), but then again, they lacked your scintillating knowledge, and of course, your decades of actual hands on engineering expertise in tank design.

Which of course you have, right?
Yup, NATO also have great experience with 105mm rifled guns, and what they done, 105mm rifled and rifled guns were seen as a thing of past, something with minimal growth potential, so everyone besides British that are traditionals, switched to smoothbores.

Of course Brits were talking that their guns were superior, in the CAT competitions tanks with smoothbore gun won and CR1 with rifled gun that was "more accurate" lost. Greece trails, CR2 with new suspension, FCS and gun (still rifled) is once again defeated by smoothbore guns armed tanks.

We can definetly say that CR2 is a good tank, British crews are well trained and hey, CR2 have the same suspension type like Arjun. But Yeah, Archer is probably right, who cares about independent trails with observers from several different countries, who cares that smoothbore armed tanks were superior in that trails... who even cares that HESH ammunition is outdated these days and that it's role can be taken by modern HE ammunition with programmable fuze (imagine a bunker hit by such round that do not explode outside but inside, effects will be much more devastating, or even old T-55 did You saw photos from US AMP HE ammunition? It made huge hole in T-55 turret and exploded inside). But who needs progress, let just stick with something that will be outdated more and more with each year.

As matter of fact, one of those "morons" who should "read all possible sources on the subject" was assigned to the engineering project which was to replace the L30 rifled, and referred to it as purely driven by economic requirements of long term ammunition sustainment.
Of course You will ignore the fact that L30 and it's KE ammunition have small growth potential, and it's far behind level represented by M829A3 or DM53, but yeah, who cares about that, who cares that UK needed a smoothbore gun wih longer service life, with better and cheaper ammunition produced in so many countries and many other advantages.

India is not in the business of buying licenses. The Arjun was & is about creating an entire ecosystem where India does not have to rely overmuch on continued support from external OEMs, their R&D, and their "licenses". India would rather work on its own systems and at best do JV's where it owns IP.
Yeah, and wonder when people like You start screaming why India is several decades behind someone else...

It is simple, do not reinvent the wheel, buy a licence, build it, make experience, find weak points in design, learn how to improve it, build Your own better design, it will be definetly more cost effective than building everything from scratch.

Damian's excuse for the Arjun is simple. He believes that the Indian Army didn't know what they where doing when they printed the QSR and handed it to DRDO. Ontop of that India possibly can't build a better tank that Russia's T-90 who have decades of experience.
I do not say that they were not knowing what they were doing, they were knowing perfectly what they are doing, but I am amazed how they ignored all designs made over the world, all experience, principals of tank desiginign etc. etc. etc.

Refuting this is simple, the Indian army asked for a rifled gun. I don't think the Indian army is stupid.
I doubt it is stupidity problem, rather lack of any alternative.

Japan doesn't have a lot of experience building tanks, but their Type 90 out performs the modern T-90 still! Thanks to international collaboration.
Do You tested both tanks against each other to make so hard statements Jat? Type 90 is not a bad tank, still I would not want to sit in it where on the other side there would be hords of even old T-80B's. Type 90 repeats design scheme of Leopard 2, and this means rather low survivability in case of armor perforation... well in fact too many tanks repeat that design scheme, and I don't really understand why, there are several better solutions.

Austin

It is definetly ~70-80mm RHA protected by ERA, just look at the turret on pics, nothing changed from T-90A, and ERA is newer 4S24 type, so it is not so immposible to achieve such protection (it depends of course about what KE ammunition designers was talking, it can be 300mm against for example 40mm APFSDS not a 120mm APFSDS).
Hmm , becuase some thing is not right about those figures , either the ERA capability is exaggarated or Side Turret RHA thickness is underestimated , I think its the latter.

BTW why would it be 40 mm APFSDS ? Do western tank measure side turret thickness and KE against 40 mm rounds ? I mean you have a frontal turret protection for 120/125 mm rounds and suddenly side ones for 40 mm ?
Why they can't fire the same ammunition? Both are smoothbores and the same caliber, something is not right here.
Reportedly caliberation issue the Israel rounds fell short of performance since there was some caliberation issue with T-90 MG and we imported more Russian APFSDS rounds , may be the latter Indian built 150 T-90 tanks had this resolved with OEM help , perhaps with the same gun.

Damian

Hmm , becuase some thing is not right about those figures , either the ERA capability is exaggarated or Side Turret RHA thickness is underestimated , I think its the latter.
I don't know how side armor can be underestimated, it is simple 70-80mm RHA plate, there is no possibility to increase in significant way basic protection there without making turret bigger and heavier.

BTW why would it be 40 mm APFSDS ? Do western tank measure side turret thickness and KE against 40 mm rounds ? I mean you have a frontal turret protection for 120/125 mm rounds and suddenly side ones for 40 mm ?
No, I was just theoretizing, that maybe he have this in mind. Side turret in western MBT's due to it's geometry should provide protection against 120/125mm guns fire withing safe manouvering angles.

Reportedly caliberation issue the Israel rounds fell short of performance since there was some caliberation issue with T-90 MG and we imported more Russian APFSDS rounds , may be the latter Indian built 150 T-90 tanks had this resolved with OEM help , perhaps with the same gun.
Hmmm, we also had problems with Israeli ammunition...

Austin

Damian on the Arjun Smooth bore versus Rifled bore issue , its not about which is technologically better but about need.

Indian Army would anticipate besides hitting hard armoured targets like tanks , their Tanks in any Indo-Pak conflict will still have to deal with many hardened bunkers , Soft Skin Targets like Bradley/BMP vehical , Trucks , Ammo dumps etc barring the very hard armoured targets most the targets can be effectively dealt with Rifled Bore guns with HESH rounds at long ranges ( 4 -5 km ) with much better accuracy.

To deal with Tanks Arjun already has APFSDS rounds and then with the missile Lahat being available with Mk2 , it can effectively deal with such target between 2 km to 6 km with both these rounds.

So it really does not need Smooth Bore gun to get some expensive fuse HE round or HEAT rounds to deal with tanks , when a HESH can do the job cheaply in Indo-Pak context.

So changing from Rifled Gun to a Smooth Bore one is really not of any great importance when Rifled Gun on Arjun and the ammo option it has now is good enough for most task it is set to do , You know the proverb Good Enough is the Enemy of Best.

Damian

Yeah, but it is good now, what with the future? Where is the need of progress? HE ammunition with programmable fuze can do everything HESH can do and will do it better.

With HESH You can't hit infantry hiding behind rigde or sand berm, with HE with programmable fuze no problems, this ammunition can be also used against helicopters or low and slowly flying aircrafts if needed. It just gives more options. And HESH will be only effective against old tanks without composite armors, but these old tanks can be equipped with ERA... making HESH also ineffective.

Global Defence

Articles