Know Your 'Rafale'

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Don't forget the FGFA. That is almost 1.5 times the value of the MRCA deal.

The Russians will still be there for the next 2 decades min.
That really is the million dollar question. Can Russia complete FGFA without French avionics? They failed miserably in ECM, AESA development has hit a roadblock, thermal imaging is totally dependent on France already. I think there is either going to be so much French kit in PAK FA for Russia to lose a sizable share, or it will be blocked and won't be finished.

pankaj nema

Country flag
There are no secrets in India... thank a free press.

You have exactly what is documented. It is no secret what India has and doesn't have. The fact is Russia isn't keeping up in arms development or reliable supply chains. India is turning elsewhere and as these mega deals wind down, Russia's share goes down and France goes up.
This is where the whole world MIS understands Indian democracy and freedom of press

Unfortunately the figures about our army strength and airforce strength that are told by the govt
are all much less than what it actually is

And more unfortunately our enemies know our true strength but if we the common people want information
then we need to have friends and relatives who do two things
when such questions are put to them

1. give us politically correct assurances that we are well prepared
2. Laugh mockingly when we say that we have so few fighter planes and submarines

Aditya Mookerjee

All I can say is, that we may not use the Rafale at all, in combat. Which will be very good. The pilot and the aircraft were not commissioned to put at risk, but to meet risks.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Why are Rafales called Katrina ?

p2prada

There are no secrets in India... thank a free press.
Well. We did not know anything about the Arihant and neither do we know anything about the AFNET or IACCS. We did not know about GLONASS as well, until it was made public much later.

We literally know nothing about how many Russian inputs we have had in Arihant and our missile development. So, we won't know about it if it is happening today too.

Russia is here to stay and so is France. Let's give credit where it is due. Both countries have exclusive rights to Indian defence industry for another 30-40 years. We can all be happy.

p2prada

That really is the million dollar question. Can Russia complete FGFA without French avionics?
The only important thing French on the MKI currently is a GPS device, Totem. GPS, only because Russia does not have one or bother about having one.

Pretty soon the Totem will be replaced by a GLONASS system along with a Sat com channel for communication, all Russian. The only other aspects on the Super MKI which will be French would be the HMS Topsight India and some MFDs. Both will be delivered by Indian companies which have JVs with French companies to develop the same. Sagem Samtel JV products.

Do you think all these are important enough that Russia will depend on France for electronics when the requirement is not there? Only Malaysian MKMs have more French stuff because they don't buy from Jewish Israel.

The FCS on the T-90 has been replaced by a much better Russian equivalent on the T-90MS. Russia has had problems, but that does not mean they are cripples.

Please stop fooling yourself.

mayfair

Russia is here to stay and so is France. Let's give credit where it is due. Both countries have exclusive rights to Indian defence industry for another 30-40 years. We can all be happy.
This. Let us be happy that we have unparallelled access to some of the best in military and scientific technology. Next, we should shore up our indigenous scientific and industrial base to fully exploit these resources at our disposal.

Parthy

Air Warrior
since we have given quite a substantial contracts to france in recent months, I think we should have some JV in he UAV , engine technology and so many other places where we are lagging. this has the potential of turning into a very big strategic partnership, just like the one we have with russia. french also have very solid experience in making subs and naval assault vechiles, recently russia was impressed with the mistral and have ordered one for their own navy, that itself speaks volumes about the faith in french technology. I'm going to uncorck some french vine today, all these months I was driking california wine, it's time for some french now.
Totally 4 Mistrals for Russia, I believe.. first two will be built in France with Russian labor having 20% & 40% stake respectively.. Third & fourth will be built in Russia (Baltiisky Zavod shipyard) with Russian labor having 80% stake through ToT....

one of the source - http://en.rian.ru/world/20111202/169255665.html

arundo

Armand, i will not share the optimism, by 2040-2045 the first of the air frames will be old enough to be in line for replacements, may be these technologies can be used in some other way on newer platforms. But certainly not the platform.

How ever, according to EF partners, all is not over yet, Dassault has entered in to exclusive negotiations, need to see how the negotiations go, may EF can come back to reckoning.
If EF's chances remained that intact, they wouldn't let off steam that way. They know that they will probably not get the deal. Even if talks might get tough or temporarily get in an impasse, the EF won't get more attractive and keep its major disadvantages of upgrades just existing on paper.

Immanuel

Country flag
You can also add Israel to the list. The Brahmos test that failed using US GPS
was a bad start leading to the trust deficit along with letting PAK modifying Harpoons,F16 etc..
The test failed because GPS was disabled the day Bobama became Presi.

pankaj nema

Country flag
On BRF. Rafale is Katrina (curves and all), MKI is Rambha (big, buxom)
And the interesting thing is that Name ie Katrina was noted by the French and it appeared on
the blog Rafalenews Blogspot

Talk about observing this MMRCA deal very closely ;
that even private blog discussions WERE BEING MONITORED :rofl:
so what must be level of monitoring of MOD decisions pertaining to this deal

Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
If EF's chances remained that intact, they wouldn't let off steam that way. They know that they will probably not get the deal. Even if talks might get tough or temporarily get in an impasse, the EF won't get more attractive and keep its major disadvantages of upgrades just existing on paper.
I am sorry, you got me confused, do you mean that EF partners have already given up? I think they can come up with a better options, something like TITAL, which I think still holds some portions of M 88 core (like SCB Blades), correct me if I am wrong here though.

We need to see still how the negotiations go,

arundo

I am sorry, you got me confused, do you mean that EF partners have already given up? I think they can come up with a better options, something like TITAL, which I think still holds some portions of M 88 core (like SCB Blades), correct me if I am wrong here though.

We need to see still how the negotiations go,
You are right, the deal is not yet in the French's bag, but the chances have substantially increased as India seems to be willing to continue or even deepen the military cooperation with F. I think that the pro Rafale is on a solid basis (both technical and in political strategy). Now it's up to the negotiators and I do not think that Brits and Germans can do much on their own. For sure, the all-out attacks won't change anything.
The negotiations will be though, but French will mange to keep all from going up in smoke. They have learned from their failure in Morocco and (almost failure) in UAE, re-coordinated competencies and all partners will now move in the same direction.
I think that both partners really want the deal to get signed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles