Indian Navy more likely to select F 18 than rafales

Super falcon

Country flag
There is a chance that navy will take a different route than F 18 because they can easily fit in vikrabt rather than rafale which will take time to remove it's parts to acomedate them in hanger

F 18 has better naval war proven record carry variety of western weapons and comes with best naval EW jamming suit and with lesser price tag

Recently CEO Boeing meet with modi too and USA already pushing India to buy hornets recently USA issued India 40 million defence aid too so things are going in right direction for F 18

Super falcon

Country flag
Rafale are expensive and can't fit easily on Vikrant and IN selection of hornets will erase IN mistakes of lifts size on Vikrant too

space marine

Country flag
India is not going to buy anything anytime before 2024 election that also depends on financial situations.

Also F18 and Rafale practically Rafale fits better. Size is sufficient for both fault lines could be provided a little margin but that is barely few months job.
F18 does provide India to understand American MIC but Indian Navy will hardly care for that.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
The F-18 exists solely to get a better deal for Rafales. The Indian gov will not allow something so mission critical as a fighter jet to be of US origin. No matter how much the hitjob media cries. In the end Rafales are coming for both Navy and Air Force.

Anandhu Krishna

The F-18 exists solely to get a better deal for Rafales. The Indian gov will not allow something so mission critical as a fighter jet to be of US origin. No matter how much the hitjob media cries. In the end Rafales are coming for both Navy and Air Force.
Amen to that

Immanuel

Country flag
Does the Rafale-M even fit on Vikrant or Vikramaditya? I don't think so.

IN is perhaps the least hesitant with US equipment, they ordered and repeat ordered P-8I and are now considering to buy more, order 24 MH-60 R and will inevitably order another 24 or more since there is need for those. These are also mission critical. So I think it comes down which aircraft is better on the carrier, performance and finally the overall cost.

Last edited:

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Does the Rafale-M even fit on Vikrant or Vikramaditya? I don't think so.

IN is perhaps the least hesitant with US equipment, they ordered and repeat ordered P-8I and are now considering to buy more, order 24 MH-60 R and will inevitably order another 24 or more since there is need for those. These are also mission critical. So I think it comes down which aircraft is better on the carrier, performance and finally the overall cost.
If it didn't fit, IN wouldn't go through the trials trouble. Repeat orders for P-8 are cancelled. More MH-60 might come.

Immanuel

Country flag
If it didn't fit, IN wouldn't go through the trials trouble. Repeat orders for P-8 are cancelled. More MH-60 might come.

IN bought 8 first, ordered the remaining 4 (options) and request an additional 6 (planning, cleared from US side but not yet by IN) In all chances, once budget is cleared it will be too. 18 P8-Is would mean 3 squadrons of 6 aircraft each and better coverage for IOR and further out to South China sea if needed.

More MH-60R inevitable since more Frigates and Destroyers are on the way and they are best helos out there for those tasks. Although it's taking part in IMRH, first flight is only expect 2024-25 and will be ready for Prod only around 2028 is all goes well.

johnj

IN bought 8 first, ordered the remaining 4 (options) and request an additional 6 (planning, cleared from US side but not yet by IN) In all chances, once budget is cleared it will be too. 18 P8-Is would mean 3 squadrons of 6 aircraft each and better coverage for IOR and further out to South China sea if needed.

More MH-60R inevitable since more Frigates and Destroyers are on the way and they are best helos out there for those tasks. Although it's taking part in IMRH, first flight is only expect 2024-25 and will be ready for Prod only around 2028 is all goes well.
GoI brought 8 first, ordered the remaining 4 (options), IN asked for medium mpa, and no success so far, hence considered ordering 10 more, due to cost issue, reduced to 6.
MH-60R is the only best option available, so IN ordered.
All these were surveillance aircraft, and defensive in nature, and rafale m/sh just opposite, selection of sh depends on iac2 tech.

Immanuel

Country flag
GoI brought 8 first, ordered the remaining 4 (options), IN asked for medium mpa, and no success so far, hence considered ordering 10 more, due to cost issue, reduced to 6.
MH-60R is the only best option available, so IN ordered.
All these were surveillance aircraft, and defensive in nature, and rafale m/sh just opposite, selection of sh depends on iac2 tech.
P-8I for IN carries MK-54 torpedos, free fall depth charges and Harpoon Mark-2 anti ship missiles. It's meant to be an avid sub hunter which perhaps the biggest threat posed to the IN from PLAN & PN. Their key role will be hunt down those which make it an offensive and defensive platform.

MH-60R too is not merely for defensive use rather also for offensive roles.

As said, SH or Rafale will depend on performance during trials, over all package and cost.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag

The option to buy 6 more P8I has been put on-hold currently to evaluate the feasibility of a C-295 based MPA, also at more than $400 million, the P8I is nearing the price we paid for the C-17s which were acquired in 2011

Immanuel

Country flag
The option to buy 6 more P8I has been put on-hold currently to evaluate the feasibility of a C-295 based MPA, also at more than $400 million, the P8I is nearing the price we paid for the C-17s which were acquired in 2011
Yes, that price is massive because it's a serious piece of kit not only specilized in ASW but also has extended AWACS ability with it's onboard air to air modes and aft radar. A C-295 based MPA will not be able to match the P8-I's extensive sensors and long range.

johnj

P-8I for IN carries MK-54 torpedos, free fall depth charges and Harpoon Mark-2 anti ship missiles. It's meant to be an avid sub hunter which perhaps the biggest threat posed to the IN from PLAN & PN. Their key role will be hunt down those which make it an offensive and defensive platform.

MH-60R too is not merely for defensive use rather also for offensive roles.

As said, SH or Rafale will depend on performance during trials, over all package and cost.
It doesn't matter what it carries, but it role. Both P8I and MH 60R is used for defensive roles, not offensive, its like killing a person in self defensive. If you consider P8, it is purely a defensive weapon used to search and destroy subs in friendly territory, on the other hand MH 60R search and destroy subs which is a threat to the friendly ships. Also there is a CAG report on P8I.
Carrier aircraft is used for offensive roles mainly, attacking enemy/countries in their home, and AC also having defensive roles.
In the case of sh/rafale m, it depends on iac2 tech, which include emls,aag etc. sh cost is lower, use common engine with teddy, quad uses sh, common and easy coms with p8, romeo, on the other hand, rafale can used in offensive roles against pak.

johnj

Yes, that price is massive because it's a serious piece of kit not only specilized in ASW but also has extended AWACS ability with it's onboard air to air modes and aft radar. A C-295 based MPA will not be able to match the P8-I's extensive sensors and long range.
But meet IN requirements. P8 is expensive to operate and IN considering drones for surveillance and MMPA is IN requirement.

FactsPlease

Country flag
Like I said before: no matter what we do, better do it fast.
We are so close to launch an AC without proper air wing (except some chopper and that fragile Mig29k), and another AC without place to go.
p.s. Size, cost & tech are NEVER the concern of Hornet. The string attached is. To me, that's more than enough (to say NO). I believe also more than enough for GoI. A pure political/strategic-level decision. That's it.
p.p.s. People keep saying Hornet will be cheaper. Neverthelss, I don't see any feasible number reg how much we will need to build up logistics/maintenance/spare parts system. For Rafale M, at least we have all those since Mirage2k. Isn't it? My point is a more complicate cost comparison than single plane unit price.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
This will be a disaster. The Navy should be pressured to buy Rafales-Ms. We will have parts commonality with existing Rafales of IAF. Buying SH will only create a new logistical challenge.

We need to teach our forces the advantages of logistical efficiency. This concept of having a zoo has only been a mess.

Super falcon

Country flag
But Rafales don't fit you have to unfit few parts manuely for every mission and timely it costs alot to ready a jet

F 18 will be a better fit

Indian navy don't care what Iaf wants them to have indian navy already interested in us weapons like P 8 Romeo halos they are very happy with us equipment and IAF only happy with french jet

Indian navy go for F 18 for sure they are cheaper than rafale and have better naval warfare record than rafale

Super falcon

Country flag
There is a news indian navy already pushing govt for AC yes due to funds these are not coming but next AC will be from USA for navy may be retired USA kitty hawk NIMITZ etc

Super falcon

Country flag
Indian navy won't settle for less than 3 aircraft carriers but third one will come beyond 2030 but they want F 18 so they get use to it

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles