Indian Navy more likely to select F 18 than rafales

Super falcon

Country flag
I bet you F 18 will win the contract and it is better than rafales in naval warfare big mistake if Rafales selected

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
USA will give a retired one to counter china uk version is very expensive to maintain
US will not give an aircraft carrier to us and neither do we want to purchase/acquire any sort of Aircraft Carrier from US, we can design, develop and construct our own Aircraft Carriers.

If in the near future we want to build our own Nuclear Powered Aircraft carrier with EMALS than we will at the most ask for some consultation in the design. Our Shipyards are more than capable to build Carriers with displacement of 70,000 tons (i.e Cochin Shipyard).

[For more information refer to GOOGLE]

johnj

US will not give an aircraft carrier to us and neither do we want to purchase/acquire any sort of Aircraft Carrier from US, we can design, develop and construct our own Aircraft Carriers.

If in the near future we want to build our own Nuclear Powered Aircraft carrier with EMALS than we will at the most ask for some consultation in the design. Our Shipyards are more than capable to build Carriers with displacement of 70,000 tons (i.e Cochin Shipyard).

[For more information refer to GOOGLE]
US consider selling their lpd or lhd[if IN pays well] but no super carrier for any other country including uk.

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
USA will give a retired one to counter china uk version is very expensive to maintain

Well the answer is No. Indian Navy is not very comfortable with US ships after INS Jalashwa. So we are not going to buy any second hand carrier. Even the hypothetical situation it will take years to come since deactivating the USN ship first and then install necessary Indian specific requirements. At this stage GoI give another order for Vikrant class carrier with increased displacement.

Wisemarko

Country flag
Three significant advantages of F-18E/F block III
1. GaN based AN/APG-79 radar with unmatched performance. (More peak power, more TRM, newer generation than RBE-AA)
2. Twin seater deck capacity: allows seamless F-18 training from AC and not some land based facility. Rafale-M is single seat only and its twin seater version will only be based on shore.
3. High level data exchange/ integration with P-8I/MH-60/ Sea Guardian drones. That's because they all are US made and currently used by USN in that configuration.

Additionally, lower price, folding wings, NATO weapons compatibility, dedicated EW (Growler) option, anti-radiation missiles - do not exist on Rafale.

Super falcon

Country flag
Three significant advantages of F-18E/F block III
1. GaN based AN/APG-79 radar with unmatched performance. (More peak power, more TRM, newer generation than RBE-AA)
2. Twin seater deck capacity: allows seamless F-18 training from AC and not some land based facility. Rafale-M is single seat only and its twin seater version will only be based on shore.
3. High level data exchange/ integration with P-8I/MH-60/ Sea Guardian drones. That's because they all are US made and currently used by USN in that configuration.

Additionally, lower price, folding wings, NATO weapons compatibility, dedicated EW (Growler) option, anti-radiation missiles - do not exist on Rafale.

There are more positive with hornets than rafales indian navy always went for the best and never influencced indian airforce aqusation on them

Indian navy has very different mindset they are far happy with US weapons compared to IA with french weapons

Very well described in video why indian navy will benefit more than indian airforce with super hornets

Super falcon

Country flag
US consider selling their lpd or lhd[if IN pays well] but no super carrier for any other country including uk.
Yes but third AC for IN should be caterpault launch is a requirement by IN I thought since IN happy with us weapons more likely us AC might be the contender

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
Superhornet is much better option.There isn't logistical problem because the engine is the same as lca mk2,tedbf and amca mk1.All the advantages of superhornet over rafale m as wisemarko stated are correct.More payload,better radar,folded wings,lesser maintainence,lesser cost,compatibility and interoperability with other assets as well as USN assets.IN is preparing to operate with USN as part of QUAD.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
I am all in for Indian Navy buying the FA-18 Super Hornet over the Rafale-M but the one and only hurdle which comes with purchase of American equipment especially fighters is that US/Uncle Sam imposes a lot of terms and conditions which limits the use of these planes.

If India is going to select FA-18 SH over Rafale-M than we need to ensure that uncle Sam does not impose any such conditions, we should be able to use these jets however we like and against who ever we want to use.

The FA-18 has the decisive edge against Rafale-M as proven by the points put by @Wisemarko.

So in terms of Politics : RAFALE-M is best choice.
But in terms of Capabilities : FA-18 is the best choice.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Bro your navy with hornets want to go against china not Pakistan yes these jets will some how over power both china and pakistan
I don't consider the Pakistan Navy a major threat. Nevertheless I want our forces to be able to use all of their assets as they see fit. Do we really need Hornets against Pakistan ? No. Do we want the option of using them against Pakistan if the need arises ? Definitely yes.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
In mid-late 2000s (during the UPA-1 era), I remember there was a talk of US offering us its retired Kitty hawk aircraft carrier A/C (80k tonne displacement). However, the condition was that they will give the A/C for free, but we have to pay for its repair and maintainance as well as have to buy its fleet of F-18 (about 3 squadrons). This would eaily have cost us 10+ billions USD (in those days).

It was a time when we already got a bad deal for Admiral GORSHKOV (COST INCREASED 3 FOLD BY RUSKIES) and planning for 126 MMRCA AIRCRAFT (10+ billion usd). Coupled to the fact that the focus of the government was on massive scams (like 2G, CWG, Coal scam etc.). Thus, the kitty hawk deal did not move past the proposal stage.

Last edited:

FactsPlease

Country flag
If India is going to select FA-18 SH over Rafale-M than we need to ensure that uncle Sam does not impose any such conditions, we should be able to use these jets however we like and against who ever we want to use.
And why US will grant us that (condition-free)?
Let's face it: how much leverage we are, or we have, to US?
As said, I give current GoI credit for best geopolitical decision - esp such a strategic one which is of the most important ones since our independence (NOT just about a weapon system). Nevertheless, I believe it will need extreme effort, and price, perhaps ever-seen in history, to get that.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles