Know Your 'Rafale'

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
It is you who have been swiping dumb statement and run away with it.

1. No one said I am going to wait for AIM 260
You assumed

Meteor can be integrated with an American radar /F-18

2. No one said it will definitely be cheaper but will cheaper there is always perhaps there If you can't comprehend, not my problem.

And why do I assume that simply because a MICA cost 2+ mn dollar while AIM120 D is around 1.1+ -1.5 mn dollars.

Bringing B 2 bomber is logic...

😂😂😂😂

Growlers aren't for sale ?

But it was a general comparison even in that case

Ok sarvagyani purush I won't ask who the fuck told you that?

You definitely know more than Boeing.
Bruh, you’re just spinning your statements to prove a point.
If you don’t want to wait for 260, why bring it into the discussion.
american weapons are not cheap. Period. Add to that the string they attach,

French fighters have been far more reliable
And stable even when American sanctions were placed on India. AKA Kargil. Get they though your head. That is one of the main reasons India goes to the French. The only nation that didn’t support sanctions for India’s nuke test. You will always have a stable supply line from France. India’s strategic equation with France is very different than that of the Americans.

Growlers aren’t for sale. Did you even read the very link that You posted? It’s a degraded version of the growler called growler lite with less powered output jammers. The main selling point of the growler is the Jammer and that too is degraded. They do not perform other computer intensive ew tactics like the F35 or the rafale. If you still want to shout growler growler, like I asked you before:
Can you list the technical detailed where the growler is superior to the rafale? Please do so. You will have your answer once you do the research. Please learn the differences in E- Warfare technologies. Just jamming with insane amount of power is not enough. They become a target for emission homing missiles in an instant. Till date, the rafale is the only 4.5 gen fighter that is able to penetrated contested air space and bomb targets, rather than wait for standoff strikes to take out AD.

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
Growler >> Rafale Electronic Warfare
In pure power, YES.
But it is as using a truck to puch a nail.

Growler can help a group of fighters to enter in a defended space.
Rafale can't. It made the samejob, for itself, with less power. ie smarter, stealthier.
He does not understand the basics of EW.
To him, jamming is the ultimate ew tactic.
Apparently, Spoofing, active cancelling, digital hack all fall pale in comparison to jamming. If we go by that logic the growler would be >>>>>>>>>>> than the F35.
in today’s world, growler like aircraft will slowly be replaced by aircraft employing stealthy tactics like F35 or the rafale. Such pure power emission platforms are effective only for short range SAM systems that use radar homing. Against long range, networked air Defence systems, platforms like the growler can be defeated quite effectively. Not to say that the growler is not competent.

Last edited:

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
At least 36 more are in the pipe. India invested too much to stand at 36.
If DA plays well, it will be far more.
It definitely needs to be far more Than 36. I would pitch an ideal force strength of 150. Far more with transfer of tech so that India is able to produce spares locally.
Rafale should be the mainstay fighter for the IAF until AMCA comes online in the next few decades.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Rafale is able to self defense thanks to Spectra, when US fighters, in the US doctrine, need dedicated electronic jammers planes. It's not new (Prowlers...).
See Australia : they need to purchase Growlers. So very cost effective.
So F-18 can't defend itself .

Tomorrow you will accuse them they are buying F 35 because F-18 are useless .

In pure power, YES.
But it is as using a truck to puch a nail.

Growler can help a group of fighters to enter in a defended space.
Rafale can't. It made the samejob, for itself, with less power. ie smarter, stealthier.
How much defended the Libyan airspace was?

🙂

Israel does it on regular basis using its F-16 and F-15s fleet all across middle East to take out strategic target.

Rafale is a good plane but very expensive just like other French platforms and so will be maintenance and spare parts cost in comparison to america due to sheer size of their production. That is what you will also agree.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Bruh, you’re just spinning your statements to prove a point.
If you don’t want to wait for 260, why bring it into the discussion.
american weapons are not cheap. Period. Add to that the string they attach,

French fighters have been far more reliable
And stable even when American sanctions were placed on India. AKA Kargil. Get they though your head. That is one of the main reasons India goes to the French. The only nation that didn’t support sanctions for India’s nuke test. You will always have a stable supply line from France. India’s strategic equation with France is very different than that of the Americans.

Growlers aren’t for sale. Did you even read the very link that You posted? It’s a degraded version of the growler called growler lite with less powered output jammers. The main selling point of the growler is the Jammer and that too is degraded. They do not perform other computer intensive ew tactics like the F35 or the rafale. If you still want to shout growler growler, like I asked you before:
Can you list the technical detailed where the growler is superior to the rafale? Please do so. You will have your answer once you do the research. Please learn the differences in E- Warfare technologies. Just jamming with insane amount of power is not enough. They become a target for emission homing missiles in an instant. Till date, the rafale is the only 4.5 gen fighter that is able to penetrated contested air space and bomb targets, rather than wait for standoff strikes to take out AD.
I only mentioned that a far more cheaper option might be available then meteor because the discussion was on airframe life and cost of American system vs French.

You are rich rich can pay 2+ mn dollar for mica since 120 D is middle class. But we are Indians .

In Kargil It was Israel who provided Litening pod and made Mirage carry LGB. They also integrated R-73 with their HMDS and Mirage 2k.

You can call it French fries I'll have my aloo chaat.

Growler aren't for sale ?

Ohh Bhaiya what did you read there ? They have an export version every nation downgrade it and keep the best for themselves. But point is growler is available.

Second an upgrade is also available for growler as well f -18 which will provide growlers sensors to f-18 and Suter program like upgrade.

I asked you simply what do you even understand by active cancellation ?

Heard of Suter program ?

Block 3 upgrade of SH?

And what tech details you want me to answer... The only thing you get to know is what's in public domain that's it .

Rafale is the only blah blah that's the exact quote French marketing team used since 2011 libyan strike but what contested airspace? 🙂

For you Rafale <<<<<<<<<< F 35 + Growler + F 22 God bless you and your mental ability.

You aren't worth of time and I told you before not to quote me for your dumb rambling.

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
I only mentioned that a far more cheaper option might be available then meteor because the discussion was on airframe life and cost of American system vs French.

You are rich rich can pay 2+ mn dollar for mica since 120 D is middle class. But we are Indians .

In Kargil It was Israel who provided Litening pod and made Mirage carry LGB. They also integrated R-73 with their HMDS and Mirage 2k.

You can call it French fries I'll have my aloo chaat.

Growler aren't for sale ?

Ohh Bhaiya what did you read there ? They have an export version every nation downgrade it and keep the best for themselves. But point is growler is available.

Second an upgrade is also available for growler as well f -18 which will provide growlers sensors to f-18 and Suter program like upgrade.

I asked you simply what do you even understand by active cancellation ?

Heard of Suter program ?

Block 3 upgrade of SH?

And what tech details you want me to answer... The only thing you get to know is what's in public domain that's it .

Rafale is the only blah blah that's the exact quote French marketing team used since 2011 libyan strike but what contested airspace? 🙂

For you Rafale <<<<<<<<<< F 35 + Growler + F 22 God bless you and your mental ability.

You aren't worth of time and I told you before not to quote me for your dumb rambling.
You’re only good at name calling man. Nothing else. Just a regular noob.
Not a single valid point you’ve made on why your fetish for growler is better than the rafale.
Read up on stuff before you comment here, and once you’re cornered, stop wiggling you’re way around. If you’re wrong, accept it. There’s no shame in it.

Stop talking about things you’re never going to get. Like 260’s. You’re never going to get it. Period.

once again im asking you, tell me why exactly the growler is better than the rafale. List out the points and once you list it Ku, hopefully you udnerstand. Frankly I don’t care if you understand or not.

hope you don’t reply unless you have anything useful to say and none of your childish fetish loving sucker talk.

LDev

Country flag
Growlers aren’t for sale. Did you even read the very link that You posted? It’s a degraded version of the growler called growler lite with less powered output jammers. The main selling point of the growler is the Jammer and that too is degraded.
The existing ALQ-99 tactical jamming pod of which the Grower typically carries 3 but can carry a maximum of 5 will soon be superseded by the Next Generation Jammer, the ALQ-239. So it is likely that the ALQ-99 which is the current backbone of the US EW fleet will be available for sale to select countries as US forces migrate to the NGJ. The NGJ is currently in late stage testing.

Next Generation Jammer - ALQ-239

LDev

Country flag
Is the Amraam 120D integrable on Rafale or a M2k?
I am sure that it can be integrated on the Rafale if the US can be persuaded to sell it to India. And of course India will have to pay for the integration which will not be cheap nor will it happen overnight. On the Mirage with it's RDY-3 radar, not worth it as the radar will not be able to exploit the full range of the missile.

Last edited:

WolfPack86

Country flag
Greece orders 18 Rafale fighters
Greece plans to obtain 18 Dassault Rafale fighters and upgrade 10 of its Mirage 2000s.

“I am delighted with this announcement, which reinforces the exceptional relationship we have had with Greece for nearly half a century, and I thank the Greek authorities for their confidence in us once again,” says Eric Trappier, chairman and chief executive of Dassault Aviation.

“Dassault Aviation is fully mobilised to meet the operational needs expressed by the Greek Air Force, and thus contribute to ensuring Greece’s sovereignty and the safety of the Greek people.”

In addition to the acquisition of 18 Rafales, 10 Mirage 2000s will be upgraded to the Mirage 2000-5 standard. Dassault notes that Athens ordered 40 Mirage 2000s in 1985, and 15 Mirage 2000-5s in 2000.

Media reports suggest the deal is part of a larger package with France that includes four frigates.

Cirium fleets data indicates that the Hellenic Air Force (HAF) operates 187 combat aircraft.

Of these, 40 are Mirage 2000s serving in the Air Defence role. Twenty-four are Mirage 2000-5s and 16 are Mirage 2000s. The average age of the Mirage 2000 fleet is 24.3 years.

The backbone of the HAForce are 114 Lockheed Martin F-16C/Ds, with an average age of 20.8 years. It also has 33 McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantoms, with an average age of 44.8 years.

Greece is upgrading 82-84 of its F-16s to the F-16V standard. This will see the jets receive an active electronically scanned array radar in the form of the Northrop Grumman APG-83, which offers a number of improvements including greater detection and tracking ranges, interleaved air-to-air and air-to-surface modes, and improved electronic protection.

Other improvements include a new centre pedestal display, a digital video and high-speed data bus, and the ability carry more advanced weapons.

In April 2019, Greek defence minister Evangelos Apostolakis said the country was considering the acquisition of up to 30 F-35 to replace the air force’s oldest F-16s.

Immanuel

Country flag
Rafale lost the opportunity the first time around in Swiss, that's a fact. Second time around, France has very little strategic importance and existing deep military ties between Swiss & US make it difficult for France to win this one. Rafale loses everytime the F-35 is in competition and that's a fact.

How's the butthurt over Canada?

As said, Modi threw a nice bone and the best for France/Dassault is to keep their heads up and with some time and luck, there would a 36-54 aircraft more ordered for IAF.

It was never about the Rafale platform, it was always how the French managed the negotiations.

Immanuel

Country flag
Greece orders 18 Rafale fighters
Greece plans to obtain 18 Dassault Rafale fighters and upgrade 10 of its Mirage 2000s.

“I am delighted with this announcement, which reinforces the exceptional relationship we have had with Greece for nearly half a century, and I thank the Greek authorities for their confidence in us once again,” says Eric Trappier, chairman and chief executive of Dassault Aviation.

“Dassault Aviation is fully mobilised to meet the operational needs expressed by the Greek Air Force, and thus contribute to ensuring Greece’s sovereignty and the safety of the Greek people.”

In addition to the acquisition of 18 Rafales, 10 Mirage 2000s will be upgraded to the Mirage 2000-5 standard. Dassault notes that Athens ordered 40 Mirage 2000s in 1985, and 15 Mirage 2000-5s in 2000.

Media reports suggest the deal is part of a larger package with France that includes four frigates.

Cirium fleets data indicates that the Hellenic Air Force (HAF) operates 187 combat aircraft.

Of these, 40 are Mirage 2000s serving in the Air Defence role. Twenty-four are Mirage 2000-5s and 16 are Mirage 2000s. The average age of the Mirage 2000 fleet is 24.3 years.

The backbone of the HAForce are 114 Lockheed Martin F-16C/Ds, with an average age of 20.8 years. It also has 33 McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantoms, with an average age of 44.8 years.

Greece is upgrading 82-84 of its F-16s to the F-16V standard. This will see the jets receive an active electronically scanned array radar in the form of the Northrop Grumman APG-83, which offers a number of improvements including greater detection and tracking ranges, interleaved air-to-air and air-to-surface modes, and improved electronic protection.

Other improvements include a new centre pedestal display, a digital video and high-speed data bus, and the ability carry more advanced weapons.

In April 2019, Greek defence minister Evangelos Apostolakis said the country was considering the acquisition of up to 30 F-35 to replace the air force’s oldest F-16s.
Very interesting, 18 Rafales and eventually 24 F-35. They'll be the first to operate both, interesting times ahead for the Greeks. Atleast they are 7 out of 27 in NATO who actually pay their defence commitments.

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
Is the Amraam 120D integrable on Rafale or a M2k?
No.
some history : At the early beginning, All the europeans air fleets and US fleet had to use ASRAAM for short range and AMRAAM for medium range. There was a european/US gentlemen agreement.
Once we have seen than US will don't use the ASRAAM but a US product (AIM9X at the end), France decided to study and produce its own missile : MICA, with 2 seekers.
But before that, the work to integrate AMRAAM and ASRAAM on Mirage 2000 begun, but ceased.

Physically no problem : M2000 and Rafale use NATO compatible Hardware & communication protocole, ass seen with the integration of GBU & Sniper pod. It's only a question of sovereinity.

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
I am sure that it can be integrated on the Rafale if the US can be persuaded to sell it to India. And of course India will have to pay for the integration which will not be cheap nor will it happen overnight. On the Mirage with it's RDY-3 radar, not worth it as the radar will not be able to exploit the full range of the missile.
AMRAAM is longer than MICA : as METEOR, not sure 4 can be put under the frame of M2000.
Range of RDY versus AMRAAM range : RDY3 is said to have > 120km range. range of AMRAAM D is not really known. We just know that the range of Meteor is better, and No Escape Zone of Meteor is in the 60km zone... ie AMRAAM D is less. So a RDY3 may not exploit the full AMRAAM D range (but in a rocket like mode, ie with a so small pk...) but easily the NEZ and more.

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag

Eurofighter: 121

Germany: 93
Kuwait: 28

EF already has 500 plus aircraft in service, these will undergo upgrades over time.
numbers of birds has NO LINK with the futur road map.
You are blind and unaware.
Stop your regular and pityfull Rafale bashing.

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
NATO Pilot Who Flew Rafale Jets Says Other Fighters In Region Mere Target Practice

Retired Air Force pilot, Stefanos Karavidas, the first Greek pilot to fly Rafale fighters has boasted of capabilities of the French origin jet. This comes after Indian commander had earlier confirmed the unmatched capabilities of Dassault Rafales.

“I flew in the back seat of such an aircraft during the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Tiger exercise in 2015, in Konya, Turkey, and I saw for myself its capabilities. It is an excellent flying platform, it has exceptional flexibility, exceptional excess power.”

Turkey and Greece have long been at loggerheads over access to natural resources, namely potential gas and oil deposits under the seabed of the Mediterranean.

France has been at the forefront of lending support to Greece by reportedly planning to equip them with 18 Dassault Rafale fighter jets to fight their Mediterranean neighbours.

According to a report in Pentapostagma, Karavidas when asked whether the acquisition of Rafale fighters would change the balances in the Aegean said “the balances are changing drastically, to a very large extent. In essence, the Turkish Air Force will not be a factor, just a target for the Greek Air Force.”

From EurasianTimes

Articles