Know Your 'Rafale'

Tactical Frog

Country flag
Judging from this document, AESA radars using GaN transmitters are already available for warships. I have zero doubt that the same technology will be embarked on a newer RBE2 version sooner than later ! You guys be confident that you will get value for money .. € 7.8 billion, am I correct ?
Another Rafale fanboy.

https://www.thalesgroup.com/sites/default/files/asset/document/ns200-v01.pdf

Last edited:

Alok Arya

Country flag
Antenna diameter for rafale is 600 mm where as 650 mm for Tejas . Is that correct ? Any one . Thanks in advance .

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
Antenna diameter for rafale is 600 mm where as 650 mm for Tejas . Is that correct ? Any one . Thanks in advance .
I don't know.

I depend where you make the measure, because it's a cone...

But why not.

I hope India doesn't make a common mistake : put a too great nose on a fighter.

A small history : In parallel with Mirage 2000, Super Mirage 4000 were studied. All except the french president (Valery Giscard D'Estaing) thaught the super 4000 to win the french deal. So it was the super Mirage 4000 radar that was developped first. But for money reason the Mirage 2000 was selected at the end. Thomson and Dassault tried to adapt the Mirage 2000 nose cone so as to put the Super 4000 radar in. It was aerodinamically an horror.
So an intermediate radar (RDM) was urgently developped, because the RDI has to be put again on the drawing board so as to fit the smaller but aerodinamically perfect Mirage 2000 nose cone.

StealthFlanker

Country flag
I agree to be a Rafale fan boy, and that until... 1982 when I did a training course at DA.
DA stand for Dassault Aviation ? ,with all due respect i seriously doubt that. You really lacking in elementary aerodynamic knowledge.
The problem may be that he (Pic) try to be understandable by most people. As you.
And don't forget english is not our naturel language.
let just agree to disagree in this one. Unlikely that you can change my opinion about him or vice versa

tejas warrior

Country flag
First Rafale squadron set to be raised at Sarsawa airbase in UP

By Mukesh Kaushik New Delhi, Dec 23 (UNI) The first squadron of the most modern Rafale fighter jets, the newest acquisition for the Indian Air Force, is likely to be set up at the Sarsawa airbase in UP.
The airbase, which is just 50 km crow-flight from the National Capital, is getting prepared to host the squadron and related maintenance facilities, sources in the South Block told UNI.
A team of Dassault Aviation, manufacturer of the Rafale visited the airbase last month to carry out feasibility study and improvements needed for making it home for the Combat jet.
The first squadron is likely to have 12 fighters, including pair of trainers, said the sources.
The IAF was in process of identifying two more airbases for the rest of the squadrons of 24 fighter.

Read more at http://www.uniindia.com/first-rafal...up/india/news/727411.html#xrzfiGb6cQsrBOBP.99

airtel

Country flag
Dassault-Reliance joint venture to build, supply combat aircraft on worldwide basis
Published December 23, 2016

A Dassault Aviation-Reliance Group joint venture, formed to execute significant offsets for the Rs. 58,000 crore Rafale fighter jet deal, plans to manufacture and supply military combat aircraft on a “worldwide basis”.

Reliance Aero, which was incorporated in April 2015 by the Anil Ambani-controlled Reliance Group, will hold 51 per cent of the share in the joint venture with Dassault holding the rest, according to a clearance application filed before Competition Commission of India (CCI).

The joint venture was announced in October.

The Rafale fighter jet deal entails an offsets component money that has to be invested by the company into the Indian defence and aerospace sector of over Rs 25,000 crore. While a part of the offsets will go towards technology acquisition by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), a major chunk will go into setting up of manufacturing facilities in India.

According to the CCI application, the market that the JV wants to address is “manufacture and supply of military combat aircraft on a worldwide basis“, indicating that a major part of the operation will be exports.

While India has currently ordered only 36 jets, Rafale has a worldwide market with orders from nations like Egypt and Qatar, besides potential sales in several other countries. The joint venture, venture, which is likely to be operationalised by mid next year, will have its main manufacturing unit in Nagpur. The plan is to set up a 100 acre facility that will integrate a supply chain for the Rafale fighter jet in India.

The Nagpur facility is projected to create at least 1,500 direct jobs over the next seven years.The offsets would also need a large supplier base of more than 300 vendors to supply components and parts.

www.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/dassault-reliance-joint-venture-to-build-supply-combat-aircraft-on-worldwide-basis/articleshow/56135068.cms

@BON PLAN @Tactical Frog

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
DA stand for Dassault Aviation ? ,with all due respect i seriously doubt that. You really lacking in elementary aerodynamic knowledge.

let just agree to disagree in this one. Unlikely that you can change my opinion about him or vice versa
DA is Dassault Aviation.
All the staff of DA doesn't work in the aerodinamic lab my dear. You have a shool vision of things Bro.
My job was not to be a aerodynamician. I'm a mecanical engineer, now plant manager (not in DA !!!)

And you? you speak, speak... and give lessons to the others.... who are you?

StealthFlanker

Country flag
DA is Dassault Aviation.
All the staff of DA doesn't work in the aerodinamic lab my dear. You have a shool vision of things Bro.
My job was not to be a aerodynamician. I'm a mecanical engineer, now plant manager (not in DA !!!)
Yes, not everyone in DA is working in aerodynamic department. But i would expect you to pick up a thing or 2 when you worked there. Especially considering that you are interested in aviation and claimed to an engineer. Elementary aerodynamic or electronic aren't that complex to learn.

And you? you speak, speak... and give lessons to the others.... who are you?
Does it matter who am i?. Facts remain the same regardless whether iam a technical consultant or a pilot or an avionics engineer.. etc. You must have noiticed that i always support my arguments by either physics laws or page that came direct from flight manual. I could have appeal to authority if i wanted to. But personally, i believe that the lowest form of arguments. If you have to say that you are someone for people to take your words serious then your argument simply not good enough. I been here for a while, and i believe people took my words serious enough without me needing to brag about who iam

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
Does it matter who am i?. Facts remain the same regardless whether iam a technical consultant or a pilot or an avionics engineer.. etc. You must have noiticed that i always support my arguments by either physics laws or page that came direct from flight manual. I could have appeal to authority if i wanted to. But personally, i believe that the lowest form of arguments. If you have to say that you are someone for people to take your words serious then your argument simply not good enough. I been here for a while, and i believe people took my words serious enough without me needing to brag about who iam
Strange that answer.
You speak, speak, speak...... funny boy !

WolfPack86

Country flag
India needs about 200-250 Rafale fighter jets to maintain edge, says Arup Raha
NEW DELHI: Outgoing IAF chief Arup Raha on Wednesday made it clear that just 36 Rafale fighter jets would not suffice as India needs about 200-250 more fighters to maintain its combat edge over adversaries.

The Air Chief Marshal, who is set to retire on December 31, also rued that the tender for the much needed "force multiplier" mid air refuellers had to be withdrawn. He said a fresh tender is in the offing and the procurement will be speeded up.

Underlining that the teeth of any air force is the combat fleet, Raha said that the country needs another production line besides the Tejas.

He explained that the strength sanctioned by the government is 42 squadrons "which was a numerical value. He said what is needed "is also a capability mix".

Raha said India has enough of heavy weight fighters - the Su30 MKI - which will last for another 30-40 years. He said the light weight spectrum would be served by the 123 Tejas light combat aircraft ordered by the IAF.

Terming Rafale as an excellent aircraft, Raha said it comes in the medium weight spectrum.

"It is tremendously capable in all its role. It is a multi-role aircraft and can be used very effectively. It can prove its worth in any situation," Raha said.

"But we have just ordered 36 aircraft and we require more aircraft in this middle weight category to give entire spectrum of capability," he said.

Raha said a void has been created in the past because of obsolescence and many of the squadrons will be past their use-by date.

"We have already used them for four decades plus. It is time to retire them and get new aircraft," he said adding this void has to be filled up quickly and 36 Rafale aircraft "will not do as we require much more".

"Over the next 10 years, we must have 200-250 aircraft. It has to be balanced out. In the heavy weight spectrum, we have enough. But in the medium weight category, we need to have more. Yes, about 200 will be very good," he said.

India and France finally signed the Rafale deal on September 23 this year, over a year after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the deal during his Paris visit in April 2015.

The planes, equipped with latest weapons and tailored for Indian needs, will be delivered to the IAF between September 2019 and April 2022.

The IAF currently has 33 fighter squadrons, against the sanctioned 42.

Raha also rued that IAF's Russian-origin Ilyushin-78 tanker fleet was plagued by maintenance problems and more midair refuellers were a "strategic requirement" to extend the range of fighter planes.

IL-78 fleet had served the IAF well but its availability for missions has been less due to maintenance problems. India floated a global tender for six midair refuellers in 2007 but it has been scrapped twice in the final stages.

"Sadly, there have been some problem areas in the acquisition. A new tender will be out soon," Raha said.
The air chief said the terrorist attack on the Pathankot air base and the An-32 crash in which 29 people were killed were "the worst memories of my career".

"We have flown in the fighter fleet 40,000 hrs, more than last 10 years due to better serviceability. We have done an average night flying of 27 per cent which was less earlier," he said speaking about the achievements under his tenure.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-edge-says-arup-raha/articleshow/56221154.cms

Cutting Edge

India needs about 200-250 Rafale fighter jets to maintain edge, says Arup Raha
NEW DELHI: Outgoing IAF chief Arup Raha on Wednesday made it clear that just 36 Rafale fighter jets would not suffice as India needs about 200-250 more fighters to maintain its combat edge over adversaries.

The Air Chief Marshal, who is set to retire on December 31, also rued that the tender for the much needed "force multiplier" mid air refuellers had to be withdrawn. He said a fresh tender is in the offing and the procurement will be speeded up.

Underlining that the teeth of any air force is the combat fleet, Raha said that the country needs another production line besides the Tejas.

He explained that the strength sanctioned by the government is 42 squadrons "which was a numerical value. He said what is needed "is also a capability mix".

Raha said India has enough of heavy weight fighters - the Su30 MKI - which will last for another 30-40 years. He said the light weight spectrum would be served by the 123 Tejas light combat aircraft ordered by the IAF.

Terming Rafale as an excellent aircraft, Raha said it comes in the medium weight spectrum.

"It is tremendously capable in all its role. It is a multi-role aircraft and can be used very effectively. It can prove its worth in any situation," Raha said.

"But we have just ordered 36 aircraft and we require more aircraft in this middle weight category to give entire spectrum of capability," he said.

Raha said a void has been created in the past because of obsolescence and many of the squadrons will be past their use-by date.

"We have already used them for four decades plus. It is time to retire them and get new aircraft," he said adding this void has to be filled up quickly and 36 Rafale aircraft "will not do as we require much more".

"Over the next 10 years, we must have 200-250 aircraft. It has to be balanced out. In the heavy weight spectrum, we have enough. But in the medium weight category, we need to have more. Yes, about 200 will be very good," he said.

India and France finally signed the Rafale deal on September 23 this year, over a year after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the deal during his Paris visit in April 2015.

The planes, equipped with latest weapons and tailored for Indian needs, will be delivered to the IAF between September 2019 and April 2022.

The IAF currently has 33 fighter squadrons, against the sanctioned 42.

Raha also rued that IAF's Russian-origin Ilyushin-78 tanker fleet was plagued by maintenance problems and more midair refuellers were a "strategic requirement" to extend the range of fighter planes.

IL-78 fleet had served the IAF well but its availability for missions has been less due to maintenance problems. India floated a global tender for six midair refuellers in 2007 but it has been scrapped twice in the final stages.

"Sadly, there have been some problem areas in the acquisition. A new tender will be out soon," Raha said.
The air chief said the terrorist attack on the Pathankot air base and the An-32 crash in which 29 people were killed were "the worst memories of my career".

"We have flown in the fighter fleet 40,000 hrs, more than last 10 years due to better serviceability. We have done an average night flying of 27 per cent which was less earlier," he said speaking about the achievements under his tenure.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-edge-says-arup-raha/articleshow/56221154.cms
:balleballe:Wow great! So something is cooking behind the scenes.

I heard rumors about Rafale's large MII order from some inside sources but I didn't believe it, Now it seems to be true. I also heard from the same source about navy's interest in 50 to 60 Rafale M, so total order of around 300 Rafale.

airtel

Country flag
:balleballe:Wow great! So something is cooking behind the scenes.

I heard rumors about Rafale's large MII order from some inside sources but I didn't believe it, Now it seems to be true. I also heard from the same source about navy's interest in 50 to 60 Rafale M, so total order of around 300 Rafale.

300 rafals means no AMCA ..................

also calculate the cost of 300 Rafals ..........

how we will pay for Pak-fa & super sukhoi Upgrades ??

Articles