Know Your 'Rafale'

Bangalorean

Country flag
Some (not all) Brits really have this overblown sense of entitlement...a trait they seemed to have injected in gallons into their proxytute (proxy prostitute- all credit to the brilliant Hakimullah Shiv Shastry at BRF, the author of the seminal ebook -Pakistan a failed state) the Pakis.

To be expected, after all the Anglo-Saxons gave birth to the virus that is Pakistaniyat
Agree completely. The assholes who comment on papers like Guardian are the worst. Constantly moaning about "aid" - freaking retards. More than half their so-called "aid" is for Churches and evangelism, and almost all the aid is privately given.

These butthurt idiots should be told to shove it up. I hope the GoI refuses any governmental aid from the Brits the next time they offer it. I don't mind another 100 bucks on my income tax to make up for it - the Indian middle class will make up for the measly amount that they give. Just do it, throw their "aid" back on their ----ing face.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
We will know where Russia stands once we get IAF's input on MKIs upgrades in a few years. Considering IAF will be exposed to the best from both east and the west, they will be able to provide the most impartial judgement. Currently according to IAF pilots, the upgraded MKI will be superior to anything flying in our skies until PAKFA comes in, even after MRCA is done.

One pilot even vocally voiced his frustration at the bureaucratic delays during the early days of the deal where he said the MRCA is supposed to be superior to the MKI, but once the upgrades are initiated the MRCA will play second fiddle to the MKI.
We already know where Russia stands on avionics technology, well behind France. The ECM system was deemed "obsolete" by VVS and the AESA demonstrator was deemed "unsatisfactory" by IAF. Russia approached France to join PAK FA in a longshot offer for the very reason their electronics industry is in shambles. The only way forward is to beg Thales to outfit it with Rafale's 5th gen avionics. Then it will be a serious contender. In the mean time, IAF can order more Rafale while Russia keeps bungling with a problem they know they can't fix. Same can be said for Super MKI avionics as it is systemic from the same problem.

Russia doesn't have developed avionics to finish the upgrade unless they go for a half-baked option.

p2prada

That's just HAL SNAFU!

First Jet in 2017-2018 - then 6 jets a year for 3-4 years maybe? Which means by 2021 IAF will ONLY have 18+(6X4)= 42 Rafales. By 2025, IAF will have 42+ (20X4) = 122 Rafales - And all 200 Rafales will be ready by 2029!! That's just -----ed up induction speed!
Wrong figures. 6 in the beginning would only be for the first year. The production may double after that and double again the year after that.

The 6 year figure is for 126 Rafales and not the 200. If we go for extra Rafales then it is obvious it would take 3-4 more years.

Come on look at MKIs induction rate. They say the numbers are 12/year one day, 14/year the other day, 16/year the next and then suddenly say IAF will induct 33 this year alone. Of course, 12 are coming in from Russia this year. But you get the point. You never know how these things work without being in the thick of it.

Ray

The Chairman
PV Naik said they will be operational for the next 30 to40 years!

p2prada

We already know where Russia stands on avionics technology, well behind France. The ECM system was deemed "obsolete" by VVS and the AESA demonstrator was deemed "unsatisfactory" by IAF. Russia approached France to join PAK FA in a longshot offer for the very reason their electronics industry is in shambles. The only way forward is to beg Thales to outfit it with Rafale's 5th gen avionics. Then it will be a serious contender. In the mean time, IAF can order more Rafale while Russia keeps bungling with a problem they know they can't fix. Same can be said for Super MKI avionics as it is systemic from the same problem.

Russia doesn't have developed avionics to finish the upgrade unless they go for a half-baked option.
I will let time decide that. Nobody can speculate how things will be in the future by just looking at what's happening now.

sayareakd

Country flag
@saya what is 40SFS jets?!!!!
sorry GK it is SFC, strategic force command and those jets will be long range twin seat for carrying nukes. most probably they will go for Su 34.

It has so much space inside that pilot can stretch his legs in flight.

balai_c

sorry GK it is SFC, strategic force command and those jets will be long range twin seat for carrying nukes. most probably they will go for Su 34.

Actually for deep strike missions, su 34 is the best choice. It is tailor-made for long range ground strike mission. It even has a bathroom. This plane has longer combat radius at low altitude than all su-27 variants.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Every project in semi-conductors Russia tries to tackle ends up as a flop. Track record counts for something.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Su-34 combat radius is only 1113km on internal fuel, throw on a drop tank might pump that up a few hundred more but it isn't better than Rafale.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
I want to see the Rafale share the deck of the IAC and the Vikramaditya with the Mig 29K's. That would add some serious teeth to IN. The Chinis would think a hundred times before trolling in the Indian Ocean.
Very good. Keep encouraging foreign toys. :tsk:

What is need of backing up N-LCA when we have some best Naval aircraft around the globe available for purchase. isnt it? Just wasting time and money over the LCA project. Is it so?

WAKE UP MY FRIEND. Dont feel proud on this deal and on this that India can afford such expenses. If this mentality and state isnt altered then I`m afraid that we would not be able to stand up against the heavily rising powers which exist around us in long lasting conflicts.

Without Indigenous capabilities India air and naval defences cant last long enough.

These things shouldnt be repeated again and again but we are left without any option.

During WW2, US manufactured around 3 Lakh fighters and bombers. Sherman was inferior to Tiger tank but was able to outrun it due the numbers in which it was built.

Indians must understand this and leave their foreign fantasy. MADE IN INDIA is always best for us and the world will see it. Arms which can operate in India satisfactorily can be operated anywhere in the world. I wonder if MoD could understand this.

P.S.- I am not against MMRCA because it was a dying need for IAF but I`m against future procurement like the extension of Rafael for IN.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Actually for deep strike missions, su 34 is the best choice. It is tailor-made for long range ground strike mission. It even has a bathroom. This plane has longer combat radius at low altitude than all su-27 variants.
If you consider that a toilet then yes but i wonder how he would pope with the G-suit on..!

Last edited:

Bangalorean

Country flag
^^ True, that - in the long term there is no alternative to indigenous production. Let us see how the ToT works out in the case of Rafale. I hope HAL/NAL and co. do a better job this time. I am interested in knowing what exactly will be manufactured in India after the first 18 aircraft are delivered, and what will remain with the French.

Parthy

Air Warrior
If USA wants to sell F35 they better send 20 of them free of cost then we will buy 80 of those, if found unfit we will return the 20, BTW this time we should start 5G tender for 80 fighters only.
Why to go for another 80 fighters either 4.5G or 5G?? We have our hands full.. lets concentrate on our self reliance by getting FGFA and AMCA done quickly...

weg

Now we know why BAe offered themselves to as lead, they knew EADs was screwing up.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Now we know why BAe offered themselves to as lead, they knew EADs was screwing up.
There was nothing BAE could do, Eurofighter has lost out to Rafale in every head-head match up. South Korea and Brazil shortlists didn't even contain EF, India obviously winner. Soon we will see the results in Switzerland of an L1 bid.