Know Your 'Rafale'

Param

YEah, so the SFC needs planes to bomb airbases, right! I am not advocating the Rafale for that role either. The SFC needs can be fulfilled only by a purpose built bomber. Not some half arsed multirole contraption that does not have the range to fulfil its mission.
All our convention weaponry including SFC fighter jets are only meant to operate over Tibet in the event of a war.

arundo

Does this mean the death of Eurofighter?
It is at least a serious setback... and EF will become even less competitive for the next tenders, while this is a boost for Rafale and will help to decrease costs and price... Now the French have great opportunities to get the UAE contract, trailing the Katar and Kuwait market in their wake..

p2prada

@ P2Prada - again the 1800 km combat radius is with external fuel tanks - for MKI and F-15 it is ~3000 kms - the larger the plane, the more fuel/ weight it can carry and the longer the range.
More powerful engines will empty the tanks as fast. Also the 1800km is combat radius, range would be twice that. Rafale also has 5 wet points compared to 3 on most of the other aircraft. So, Rafale can carry bombs along with drop tanks.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It is at least a serious setback... and EF will become even less competitive for the next tenders, while this is a boost for Rafale and will help to decrease costs and price... Now the French have great opportunities to get the UAE contract, trailing the Katar and Kuwait market in their wake..
It was always said that winner of MMRCA would determine future of Europe's fighter industry. Both Rafale and Typhoon were on the chopping block domestically, now Rafale goes full steam and EF falls off the cliff.

ice berg

No - they need it to drop Indian restaurant menus into Chinese cities and military bases .... :D

I have a phone interview in 5 mins - wish me luck guys ...

later ...
And they are quite popular in China if I may say so. Anyway good luck:wave:

p2prada

:shocked: 2018?
Aura. The first version.

It takes 3 J-10s to equal 1 Rafale F4, PLAAF has a couple hundred and who knows how many they will build. It will take 600 to offset the advantage of Rafale.
The battlespace won't allow such a large force in any single sector. We will be lucky to manage 150 aircraft flying at any one time during war.

China's advantage would come in the ability to negate attrition and even use it to their advantage.

trackwhack

Irrespective of what Aircraft the SFC chooses, the F 35 would be the worst of the choices simply due to its limited range. It is ridiculous to be ferrying a bomber in today's age where Anti aircraft system will easily pick off refueling planes. And if we stay this side of the nuclear line then an effective bombing campaign over a population center means a huge payload of weapons, not drop tanks.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
1800 km combat radius is with external fuel tanks - for MKI and F-15 it is ~3000 kms - the larger the plane, the more fuel/ weight it can carry and the longer the range.
What is your source for such combat radius of F-15 and MKI with weapons? You talking about ferry range maybe.

JayATL

Our defense rests in the hands of the lowest bidder....now that should help me sleep well !!
I've seen these kind of comments all over the " internets" today.

Perhaps you were being light hearted but many others seemed not to get the concept " the lowest of QUALIFIED bidders". You see if it was just price then the Russians or Americans would have won it.

p2prada

Then it must be more like an armed drone like predator rather than a futuristic UCAV.
Of course. That's why the word modest was used in my post. We will get to it eventually. Once AMCA is made, we will obviously have to look at bigger options. I am guessing ADE may make an AMCA class UCAV while ADA may progress to a heavy UCAV in the class of MKI and PAKFA. Perhaps even a strategic bomber between the two.

JayATL

Ok Einstein, so the F 35 is a Kamikaze bomber? The max range on internal fuel is 1100 - 1200 nm. Your solution is to send our pilots on a one way bombing mission to hell?

And please dont give me the logic of drop tanks. If its gonna be used as a bomber we need the payload for bombs, not fuel
only an imbecile would first see it as an issue, given air fueling capabilities of aircrafts now days and only a whacko off its track would not get that different variants have different ranges and finally only a retard would call the range objectionable while every NATO country has not made it an issue.

in others words you are once again the champion, singular class clown here, having again won your coveted title in 2012 - every year in a row since birth( unheralded reigning champion)

somehow we ( US) can have F35 to fight the chinese if needed in south china sea - but India per you cannot use over its border. Brillant!

Last edited:

trackwhack

only an imbecile would first see it as an issue, given air fueling capabilities of aircrafts now days and only a whacko off its track would not get that different variants have different ranges and finally only a retard would call the range objectionable while every NATO country has not made it an issue.

in others words you are once again the champion, singular class clown here, having again won your coveted title in 2012 - every year in a row since birth( unheralded reigning champion)

somehow we ( US) can have F35 to fight the chinese if needed in south china sea - but India per you cannot use over its border. Brillant!
I must hand it to you for your sheer passion and enthu man. I guess your only resort in debate is name calling, must give your an orgasmic high. Have fun playing with yourself.