Know Your 'Rafale'

happy

I do not know about the veracity of the claims made in the below article but it sure is interesting to know.

Gist of the Translation:

IAF brass has updated Defence Minister Arun Jaitley that unless the 126 Rafales are procured immediately, the IAF is going to lose it's muscle vis-a-vis Pakistan considerably. Jaitley asked them what was the total cost involved and they told him that it was around Rs.1 lakh crores for a period of 10 years. Jaitely responded favourably and immediately forwarded the file to the PMO for the final approval.

vishal_lionheart

Hii All,
I am vishal after long time I am here. I have one question for Kunal Sir... Why IAF looking for Ferrari ( Rafael) over Ford (Grippen)? In history of wars, it was proved that costly machines were not successful as reliable, low cost, easy to maintain machines were effective and successful? (main e.g. Tank war between Germany and Russia or US soldiers were used AK's over M16 rifle.

Kunal Sir, I am waiting for your answer....

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
@vishal_lionheart

1st of all hi & welcome back

regarding your post

Why IAF looking for Ferrari ( Rafael) over Ford (Grippen)? In history of wars, it was proved that costly machines were not successful as reliable, low cost, easy to maintain machines were effective and successful?(main e.g. Tank war between Germany and Russia or US soldiers were used AK's over M16 rifle.
You cannot compare rafale with ferrari as ferrari car are usualllly famous for speed & exotics ,meanwhile it cant be used for personal day to day work as
it would cost some one a lot to do that

meanwhile Rafale is a ford ecosport mini SUV class which can do everything from day to day work with fuel efficiency comparably cheaper than regular bigger SUVs.

on an aviation note in a nut shell i would summarize it's the best multirole platform available in the market
Good Air to air warfare capabilty & excellent air to ground capabilty

Rafale is not a race horse for sure but defintely it is a reliable workhorse:D

P.S on a lighter note if USA had made AK-47 then it wont have been so cheap :lol:

CHEERS

Last edited by a moderator:
Country flag
Hii All,
I am vishal after long time I am here. I have one question for Kunal Sir... Why IAF looking for Ferrari ( Rafael) over Ford (Grippen)? In history of wars, it was proved that costly machines were not successful as reliable, low cost, easy to maintain machines were effective and successful? (main e.g. Tank war between Germany and Russia or US soldiers were used AK's over M16 rifle.

rafale is better than gripen by all aspects. And it was prototype of pgripen in mmrca deal. if I have to choose between there two , I will choose rafale. But if I have to chose most economic with all capabilities of rafale, then I will choose tejas mk2.
and best multirole fighter is su35( someone said its rafale) but later it will be super sukhoi ( if we are talking among 4.5 gen. Other wise f22 is best multirole right now.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
Hi all
does anybody know the exact value of this deal...
Some sources say 20b and other say 10 b some 15 b what is the exact cost?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
The IAF is looking more into Medium class fighter, Gripen was selected for its flexibility and low operation and maintenance reasons, But It was seen that by the time Gripen will join IAF, Tejas which is tailor made for IAF having same role and in same light catagory will be available for mass production ..

Hii All,

vishal_lionheart

GOI should give at least 10 billions to Tejas mk 2 and AMCA. It will be a game changer. You cannot go to war with the help of imported machines.

Pulkit

Country flag
GOI should give at least 10 billions to Tejas mk 2 and AMCA. It will be a game changer. You cannot go to war with the help of imported machines.
Sorry bro I will like a share of it to be used for FGFA ...
Trust we if and if they are downsizing the order then the only reason would be the non availability of funds....
Tejas MK2 has already recieved funds from IAF and IN but FGFA is lacking wat ever money gets saved should be moved to FGFA so that by 2018 we can have our own 5th gen A/C in production.....

vishal_lionheart

but FGFA is lacking wat ever money gets saved should be moved to FGFA so that by 2018 we can have our own 5th gen A/C in production.....

INDIA and RUSSIA has already jointly developed 5 th Generation Fighter.

Country flag
but FGFA is lacking wat ever money gets saved should be moved to FGFA so that by 2018 we can have our own 5th gen A/C in production.....

the one which is built is PAK FA, russian 5th gen. And indo- russian JV is FGFA. There are many design changes, refer wiki for the changes.

Pulkit

Country flag

There are about 2 dozen changes ....Between Indian and Russian versions....
Indian version is not yet out (Please please tell me I am wrong)... We have been a partener Joint venture ...
about 144 aircrafts single seat needs to be built...
Last month only it had an accident T50 hope that doesnot derail the project along with IAF which came out in open against it seeking the capabilities are not as per req and even the work share issue was there.....

Articles