Know Your 'Rafale'

WMD

MMRCA deal: Negotiations between defence ministry, Dassault run into fresh hurdle
SOURCE: EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE
Negotiations between France's Dassault Aviation and the Defence Ministry for the $ 10.4 bn (Rs 45,000 crore) Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) tender to acquire 126 fighter aircrafts for the IAF have hit another roadblock.

Highly placed sources told FE, the ministry of defence has turned down Dassault's assertion that if it is given the overall responsibility of the project, it should be given the freedom to decide on the quantum of work to be shared between Hindustan Aeronatics Limited (HAL) and private companies in the programme. Dassault had made this point in a letter to the Defence Ministry late last year along with a demand that the ministry define HAL's role in MMRCA.

While rebuffing Dassault's contention, the ministry has also highlighted that the RfP for the tender issued in 2007 clearly outlines role of HAL as the project's 'lead-integrator' and changes at this stage cannot be permitted.

Soon after Dassault emerged the lowest bidder (L-1) beating its rival Eurofighter on life cycle costs, the French company signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Reliance Industries to work together in Indian defence and security sectors. Industry sources indicated that, "The French company are anxious to start work with Reliance Industries Ltd under the MoU that was inked in 2012 June."

The latest development adds to a long list of hurdles negotiations have faced since Dassault's selection as L-1 in January last year.

According to official sources, the negotiations have dragged on for so long also due to issues related to MMRCA's 50% offsets requirement and transfer of technology. The French, it appears, are unwilling to transfer cutting edge technology such as that of the electronically scanned AESA radar while citing lack of maturity of the Indian defence industry to absorb such critical technologies as an excuse.

There is a strong lobby of small and medium French enterprises which is against industrial offsets and sees it as a threat to the competiveness of the French defence industry. Early last year, Patrick Colas des Francs, chief executive of Coges, the trade show organizer for the Eurosatory land systems exhibition reportedly said, "Offsets are a threat to small and medium-sized companies. This is a real problem." "Offset deals not only take production work away from French subcontractors and suppliers, but also provide accelerated access to knowledge and skills that allows companies in the client country to compete in world markets," he said.

Acknowledging that negotiations between the two sides are far from over former chief executive of Dassault Charles Edelstenne had told a French parliamentary hearing last month: "We are in deep talks at the moment. It's a complicated country, the negotiations are tough, but there is a desire to wrap up on both sides." "I'm relatively optimistic," he added.

However, the biggest threat to an early conclusion of negotiations comes from the financial squeeze the defence ministry is currently facing. As reported by FE earlier, the MoD has been unable to secure extra budget for this year. Moreover, the armed forces' capital acquisitions budget has been cut by Rs. 10,000 crore. This is certainly going to derail any hopes of the IAF to lay its hands on MMRCA anytime in the near future. According to officials, contract signing before second half of 2013 looks highly unlikely.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
The best rebuttal of this and many other butt hurt screams from the british press and their self declared geniuses of Rafale would be the comparison reports of the eurofighter and rafale made by the evaluation team of the Swiss airforce analysts and later corroborated by austrian airforce.
The reports clearly state that the eurofighter would need to be upgraded to tranch 3 to be capable of doing things the Rafale can do today.
And in every aspect critical to a MMRCA it was the Rafale who scored higher on the scales provided to the swiss govt.

Shirman

Country flag
Iaf and MOD has already "ear-marked" some 12-15 billion dollars for the mmrca project. Heck there were news of Eads winning the Airbus A330 mrtt tanker competition. The MMRCA has taken so long since 2007 when India's economy was booming, Dollar was @37 per Rupee to the recession era of 2008-2010 to stagnation of Scam Hit INDIAN economy from 2011 till now (when in that era dear rafale is declared as winner.) So this is a really DDM saga....Which really needs to end with the contract signing....thats it. :mad:

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
India planned to structure their jet fighter fleet with 3 levels. heavy multi role levels, MKI and super MKIs, middle multi role level, Rafales, and light multirole level, LCA .
In the coming soon airforce exercise scheduled on the Feb 23, India wants to officially induct LCA, which I don't believe there will be major news, since the decision has been made, no matter how, indigenous jets will get some orders.

But despite this superficial arrangement, its aging and accident ridden mig-21 fleet desperately need to be replaced. with the delay of rafale again and again, there is basically no alternatives. that is why more MKIs were ordered, but russian delivery speed is still a question mark.

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
India planned to structure their jet fighter fleet with 3 levels. heavy multi role levels, MKI and super MKIs, middle multi role level, Rafales, and light multirole level, LCA .
In the coming soon airforce exercise scheduled on the Feb 23, India wants to officially induct LCA, which I don't believe there will be major news, since the decision has been made, no matter how, indigenous jets will get some orders.

But despite this superficial arrangement, its aging and accident ridden mig-21 fleet desperately need to be replaced. with the delay of rafale again and again, there is basically no alternatives. that is why more MKIs were ordered, but russian delivery speed is still a question mark.
Sir russian delivery speed ? we can componsate because both HAL & Sukhoi can build Su-30MKI

but no one can question mark chinese copying speed but which i respect:taunt::p:lol:

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
MOD is just dragging this , they should be serious in their approach & get the deal ASAP because fighter numbers will further go down in IAF & we will be compromising suituation soon

With further delay in LCA MK1 & MK2 i don;t know when our babus will come out of sense & push this deal through:mad::sad:

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
Sir russian delivery speed ? we can componsate because both HAL & Sukhoi can build Su-30MKI

but no one can question mark chinese copying speed but which i respect:taunt::p:lol:
assemble, not build
all parts has to be delivered, even rivets. with this said, new batch is not assembled but totally made and assembled in Russia.

Russian made some profit and transferred what you tested out to their own SMs, they don't have the productivity to put you as a priority.

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
MOD is just dragging this , they should be serious in their approach & get the deal ASAP because fighter numbers will further go down in IAF & we will be compromising suituation soon

With further delay in LCA MK1 & MK2 i don;t know when our babus will come out of sense & push this deal through:mad::sad:
According to your deal, the 128 Rafales will only have 18 made in France and the rest of them will be assembled by HAI, even the contract is signed, there are still
a lot of gaps to cover before you can have a significant number to form up real combat ability.

I don't know why you just want to have fancy toys instead of practical solutions based on your own strength.

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
assemble, not build
all parts has to be delivered, even rivets. with this said, new batch is not assembled but totally made and assembled in Russia.

Russian made some profit and transferred what you tested out to their own SMs, they don't have the productivity to put you as a priority.
Ru retired chief of UAC russia? hope u know what UAC means,we have got Su-30MKI on time and if some popcorn fumes out on Russia & India production ability has to ignored

U stick to ur reverse engneering , stealing & copying .We will stick to our license production

If u think India is weak nation then pls attack & take over Arunachal pradesh :taunt::lol::laugh:

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
According to your deal, the 128 Rafales will only have 18 made in France and the rest of them will be assembled by HAI, even the contract is signed, there are still
a lot of gaps to cover before you can have a significant number to form up real combat ability.

I don't know why you just want to have fancy toys instead of practical solutions based on your own strength.
Oh shut up , i asked this question to some one sensible in forum not a insane biased freak like u , if we fancy so called toy rafale what is ur problem u peace of trash?

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
Ru retired chief of UAC russia? hope u know what UAC means,we have got Su-30MKI on time and if some popcorn fumes out on Russia & India production ability has to ignored

U stick to ur reverse engneering , stealing & copying .We will stick to our license production

If u think India is weak nation then pls attack & take over Arunachal pradesh :taunt::lol::laugh:
I just don't burp out fancy ideas based on single-sided wish. you go on with your dream. sorry I interrupted.

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
Oh shut up , i asked this question to some one sensible in forum not a insane biased freak like u , if we fancy so called toy rafale what is ur problem u peace of trash?
by the way, piece, you must be educated in a very bad school. shame on your English teacher.

halloweene

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I was going through Rafale's wiki page and I need someone to differentiate between air-to-ground and air-to-surface missiles.
Air to surface include air to sea (in the case of Rafale)

Articles