INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Gessler

Country flag
Guys a noob question, I see lot of people here have good knowledge of rifles and their mechanism. Have u guys ever tried to design something new even on a paper? I know its hard but has anyone tried a new design or a concept?
Have once tried coming up with a rough Glock-based design but with a two-part slide. But nothing serious. It's more likely to increase probability of failure in slide operation than the existing one if anything.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
lol bhai i'm a mere enthusiast,never had any practical experience with guns.

Having said that,i actually had some ideas in mind but guess what happened after rigorous searching on internet i found out many ideas already existed in one form or other in certain firearms.

For example, i kinda never liked AR's ;ping pong paddle; bolt catch simply because it is not ambidextrous and requires your one hand off the gun to operate it (in case you don't have large hands else you can probably push it using thumb while inserting magazine or such manuevers).Now you can bring ambidextrousity here by simply cutting some material out on other side and putting another paddle to operate bolt catch from that side but in modernised versions it should come out as default i think (already happening).

My idea was to bring it close to the shooting hand and make it ambidextrous,something like that is there on ACR,then i came to know it's already been implemented in a particular flavour of AR named LAR-8 by Rock River Arms and H&K is putting it on HK433.

So yeah,have many different ideas outta which some already exist in one form or another.Maybe someday i'll put everything in my mind in detail.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
More than fancy rifles I am more interested to see Small arms ecosystem to establish here.
Tho this might be impossible to do thanks to gun laws in this country.
In US good chunk of Firearm companies revenue comes from civilian sector with 12 million guns of all caliber sold on average per annum.
Another important Gun culture by product is gun accessories market.
At most there is need of 10 million guns for for Indian Defense and this requirement can be filled in 5 to 10 years, but what happens after that? The factories aren't supposed to shut down are they? In case of America their is a buffer for the industry in the form of civilian market.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
More than fancy rifles I am more interested to see Small arms ecosystem to establish here.
Tho this might be impossible to do thanks to gun laws in this country.
In US good chunk of Firearm companies revenue comes from civilian sector with 12 million guns of all caliber sold on average per annum.
Another important Gun culture by product is gun accessories market.
At most there is need of 10 million guns for for Indian Defense and this requirement can be filled in 5 to 10 years, but what happens after that? The factories aren't supposed to shut down are they? In case of America their is a buffer for the industry in the form of civilian market.
Glock pistols are going to be made in Tamil Nadu for civilian sale btw

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Also population density is directly proportional to No of mass shooting in a country. Sparsely populated countries can better advocate for guns than dense ones.

There are very few countries with Stringent Gun control laws that are also a major Firearm suppliers. Germany had been one such exception but very recently they are also going into the red with companies dis investing.
Israel has a loose guns laws and they are also the biggest supplier of them.

Gun Industry simply may not have a future here unless they look for export market.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Glock pistols are going to be made in Tamil Nadu for civilian sale btw
Don't you think that sounds bit too exciting!?

The process between wanting a gun (not a DBBL) to actually getting a license for one is very lengthy here.
Over that, the current govt. wants to remove as much guns from civilian hands as possible. The limit was slashed from three to two. And from a long time there is a plan to cap the limit to only one firearm per license.

1. They can't export to other countries. Coz there they will be competing directly with Glock Ges.m.b.H.
2. Given the current trends, Indian civilian market is not very confident to rely on.
3. So ultimately their only hope is a pretty big order from a state or paramilitary force.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Don't you think that sounds bit too exciting!?

The process between wanting a gun (not a DBBL) to actually getting a license for one is very lengthy here.
Over that, the current govt. wants to remove as much guns from civilian hands as possible. The limit was slashed from three to two. And from a long time there is a plan to cap the limit to only one firearm per license.

1. They can't export to other countries. Coz there they will be competing directly with Glock Ges.m.b.H.
2. Given the current trends, Indian civilian market is not very confident to rely on.
3. So ultimately their only hope is a pretty big order from a state or paramilitary force.
Add to that there wont be accessory market any time soon, what little will be there will pose high prices due to absence of competitors.
Any idea why BJP of all people are against civilian arms?

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Add to that there wont be accessory market any time soon, what little will be there will pose high prices due to absence of competitors.
Any idea why BJP of all people are against civilian arms?
He he he

If your wet dream is Kristallnacht, then the last thing you want is a well armed militia.

itsAurea

Country flag
Guys a noob question, I see lot of people here have good knowledge of rifles and their mechanism. Have u guys ever tried to design something new even on a paper? I know its hard but has anyone tried a new design or a concept?
I did but only because I was inspired by games like Fallout and Metro. I aspire to develop a game and focus on this gun building mechanic. I wanted to make a design that is modular and easy to maintain and my inspiration is mostly centred on Metro Exodus' entire sets. Can't come up with one though cos... I really am not an engineer hahaha

MisraZ

Country flag
Santara ka colour kyu ofb ka santre ke color se itna prem kyu
Considering most of them are rabid leftists they wanted to apply a reddish brown colour but their inefficiency made it bhagwa da rang and their lazy ass didn't mind 😂😂. On a serious note why did army procure INSAS in this horrendous colour scheme which serves no purpose?(I am a layman but this ain't a good camouflage scheme)

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Orange color predates INSAS. It was also found in SLR also. I once read somewhere that the orange color was chosen because black/dark colored furniture on Rifles were causing handling issues with infantrymen operating in Thar desert where temperature reaches 55-60 degree C. I don't know how true is that, but from my personal experience I know black color clothes do get uncomfortable to wear in summer.

Last edited:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Lo and Behlod!

We were thinking that there is this OFB 5.56x45mm Carbine out there,then there is OFB Trichy based 7.62x39mm Carbine out there (copy of Bulgarian AR-M1's carbine variant,of course) and so.

BUT now we have INSAS Excalibur MK.1C based "Carbine" out there from Rifle Factory Ishapore!

1610374891675.png

OFB R-2 is now "Ishapore Assault Rifle"
1610374906543.png

and INSAS Excalibur Mk.1C is Indian Assault Rifle, doesn't I in INSAS stand for Indian already ?
1610374927095.png

1610374984650.png

1610374991956.png

1610375012316.png

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Lo and Behlod!

We were thinking that there is this OFB 5.56x45mm Carbine out there,then there is OFB Trichy based 7.62x39mm Carbine out there (copy of Bulgarian AR-M1's carbine variant,of course) and so.

BUT now we have INSAS Excalibur MK.1C based "Carbine" out there from Rifle Factory Ishapore!

View attachment 73433

OFB R-2 is now "Ishapore Assault Rifle"
View attachment 73434

and INSAS Excalibur Mk.1C is Indian Assault Rifle, doesn't I in INSAS stand for Indian already ?
View attachment 73435

View attachment 73437

View attachment 73439

View attachment 73440
Milled receiver in 21st century!
Noice...

WolfPack86

Country flag
AK 203 contract for Amethi Factory soon: Army Chief Gen MM Naravane
The Amethi factory to manufacture modern assault rifles for the Army is likely to get operationalised soon, with the Army chief saying that a final contract is expected shortly and all issues have been sorted out.

The plan to manufacture 671427 of the AK 203 rifles at the factory has been under discussion for almost two years, with the contract stipulating 100% transfer of technology and possible exports in the future from the Indian plant.

“Negotiations are at an advanced stage. There were some last-minute hitches and hiccups and those have been ironed out now. I hope the final contract will be signed soon,” Army Chief Gen MM Naravane said in response to a ET question.

Sources said that as per current discussions, the rifles – to be made by a joint venture between Kalashnikov and the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) – are expected to cost under Rs 70,000 a piece, significantly cheaper that US made rifles imported by the Army under an emergency order that cost the exchequer Rs 89,000 a piece.

Besides, India will get complete know how to manufacture modern assault rifles, given that the contract specifies that all of these need to be made completely in India from the first day. Sources said that there had been differences regarding the pricing of the deal, as OFB and Kalashnikov’s offer was deemed to be high but this is being sorted out.

A bulk of the cost for the rifles will go towards OFB which needs to absorb the technology. Sources said that the royalty per rifle to the Russian side will be just over Rs 6,000, against the rifle cost of Rs 70,000.

As reported by ET, the defence ministry had set up a pricing committee in June last year after difficulties in arriving at a final price for the project. The project has high priority on the bilateral agenda since an inter-governmental agreement was signed in January 2019.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles