INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Rchauhan

Country flag

A well written Information on INSAS development and what all was wrong and why it failed ... A Must read Tweets for You Guys . This Gentlemen was closely associated with INSAS Development from start till time it was decided that we need a new Rifle

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

A well written Information on INSAS development and what all was wrong and why it failed ... A Must read Tweets for You Guys . This Gentlemen was closely associated with INSAS Development from start till time it was decided that we need a new Rifle

Looks like IA brass at that time should equally share the blame for INSAS fiasco, not just DRDO & OFB.

These are fundamental project management issues rather than a product issue, like:

1) not testing the product enough before deployment
2) making the false assumption that product designer should be involved 10 years after the development cycle is closed.
3) delayed product feed back loops.

These things happen everywhere, but still.

harpreet288

Country flag
And this isn't a fault of the INSAS!

Can we all firstly understand that the INSAS is a result of the IA's requirements, the IA in the 1990s/80s ASKED for a 5.56mm rifle to replace their 7.62 calibre SLRs. This was because the IA had bought into the NATO warfighting doctrine of wounding/maiming the enemy soldier as this would tie down a conventional force more than simply killing the enemy soldier.

So if the INSAS doesn't have enough stopping power in CT/CI roles that is the IA's fault and something they have addressed by issuing the 7.62x39 AK for CT/CI roles.

But it's funny how the pendulums switches, now 20-30 years later the next generation of IA leadership is now asking for 7.62mm once again, I guess this circus will be resumed in 20-30 years from now with the IA asking for 5.56mm for their next next generation assualt rifle!

INSAS is exactly what IA asked for and these clowns have done nothing but bad mouth it from day one even though it has evolved into an excellent tool. If the IA leadership are not able to come up with sensible requirements that is not the tool's fault but the IA's.
The problem was the barrel heating up and cocking handle heating up after firing some 90 rounds,hope that is fixed in the Insas 1c.

harpreet288

Country flag
Gurus...

I have a layman's question... Please answer it patiently.

Shouldn't MK1C retain the 3 round burst!?

Given that our soldiers carry 100 rounds of ammo(5*20 during peacetime)

Firing full auto eats away lots of Ammo. If I remember correctly, Americans in Vietnam war had fired almost 250,000 rounds for every kill(according to Vietnam war/M 16 documentary) and M16s had created lots of problems when soldiers tried to control the fire.

I know that we've come long way from Vietnam war. But 3 round burst sounds lot better and takes 6-7 trigger pulls(before we change the magazine) which would be higher than full auto trigger pulls.

I am a layman in firearms, please answer my questions in layman terms.

Thanks in advance.
Not only u will run out of ammo the barrel will also heat up,this requires cooling,auto fire only for close range,single fire for long distance.
So firing discipline has to be maintained.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
View attachment 57444
View attachment 57447
Great Find.
I was wondering where ITBP got these new shiny butt stocks for their old East German MPI KM 72.
Dont think those stocks are brand new. If you look at any of these 32+ year old East German Aks with either army of Capfs the quality looks the same unlike the worn out comparatively newer Romanian ones.Those shining bakelites and receivers makes them sexiest Aks in the whole planet

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles