INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

Zebra

Country flag
Diesel engines are flexible only if they are designed that way. Otherwise, they are not at all flexible. Ditto for turbines.

There are diesel engines that specify that you can only use a certain type of diesel. Even using a different kind of diesel can damage the engine.
Mainly FPI (fuel injection pump) and the fuel injectors. All other parts of engine will be the same.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Diesel engines are flexible only if they are designed that way. Otherwise, they are not at all flexible. Ditto for turbines.

There are diesel engines that specify that you can only use a certain type of diesel. Even using a different kind of diesel can damage the engine.
Steam turbines will certainly attain higher speeds, isn't that true?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
I sure hope we don't buy the Osprey... simply not worth it. There are far more crucial things to be had (howitzers/ GPMs/ IFVs).
I agree but partially, I dont like Osprey but Vikramaditya AWACS ( Based on KH-31 ) is not a powerful AWACS, Not IN ships have very long range radars ( Less than 400kms ) Here a carrier fleet can have something compact and effective AWACS..

pmaitra

Mainly FPI (fuel injection pump) and the fuel injectors. All other parts of engine will be the same.
Here are the things that I believe will need to be modified to allow for multiple fuel types:
  • High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP).
  • Pizo-electic nozzles if it uses a common rail injection system.
  • Turbo-chargers or super-chargers, because different fuel types will need different amounts of air injected at given RPMs.

I could have missed other things as well.

pmaitra

Steam turbines will certainly attain higher speeds, isn't that true?
Yes Sir, turbines will be capable of higher RPM, so will a Wankel Engine that uses gasoline, such as the one in Mazda RX-8.

However, one can use gearing to achieve higher RPM even from a diesel engine. Diesels produce higher torque at lower RPMs, unlike gasoline engines. However, between turbines and diesels, I do not know which one is better when it comes to performance, but fuel-variety wise, neither has an advantage.

bhramos

Country flag
Indian aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya to take part in the Russian Navy Day Parade

INS Vikramaditya, the Indian Navy's (IN) aircraft carrier, will take part in the Russian Navy Day parade to be held in the Arctic port city of Severomorsk this Sunday. The aircraft carrier is currently undergoing marine tests with the Russian Navy's Northern Fleet, ahead of its induction in to the IN. Located in the Barents Sea coast, Severomorsk is the main naval base of the Russian Navy's Red Banner Northern Fleet, responsible for the maritime security of the North-western portion of the Eurasian nation.

Currently the INS Vikramaditya is undertaking several drills in the Barents Sea, operated by seamen from the Russian Navy. Local media reported that in addition to the naval servicemen, staff and officials from the Russian shipbuilder JSC PO Sevmash, as well as Indian Navy officials are also onboard the ship. The upgrading of the aircraft carrier was done at the Sevmash shipyard, which is the largest of its type in Russia. The shipyard, which employs close to 27,000 staff, is also Russia's only manufacturer of nuclear submarines.

Local sources reported that a total of 12 vessels are likely to take part in this year's parade in Severomorsk, including the Indian aircraft carrier. A total of 3,000 naval servicemen will also participate in the ceremony. Commemoration functions will be held at the Primorskaya Square and at the Severomorsk harbour, expected to be attended by senior officials from the military and the civilian administration.

The INS Vikramaditya, formerly Soviet Aircraft Carrier Admiral Gorshkov was purchased by the Indian Navy at a cost of $2.35 billion a few years ago. The refurbishment works which had been ongoing at the Sevmash shipyard were completed earlier this year, and currently the ship is undergoing marine trials. The Russian Navy recently announced that the aircraft carrier will be inducted by the IN probably by the end of this year.

INS Vikramaditya will be the second aircraft carrier to be inducted in to the Indian Navy, following the Induction of INS Viraat in 1987. The IN has also started the manufacture of two Vikrant class aircraft carriers, the first of which will be inducted in to the navy by 2017.

http://www.------------------/india...kramaditya-part-russian-navy-day-parade-1498/

indiandefence .com

Last edited:

Sam24

I sure hope we don't buy the Osprey... simply not worth it. There are far more crucial things to be had (howitzers/ GPMs/ IFVs).
Why? As Kunal says, compared to the surveillance capabilities heli based AWACS, such as the Ka-31 India is currently using, the developmental V22 based AWACS provides a leap in both radar size, and thus power, as well as range and loiter time.

I'm personally hoping that the RN goes for it since, to be quite honest, the Merlin based AWACS our Navy is considering just doesn't have the legs for intense operations in a hostile environment.

Articles