INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

kaustav2001

Country flag
Why? As Kunal says, compared to the surveillance capabilities heli based AWACS, such as the Ka-31 India is currently using, the developmental V22 based AWACS provides a leap in both radar size, and thus power, as well as range and loiter time.
It's way too complex & not to mention expensive as well. It is a unique aircraft & it's capabilities are probably still unfolding.. but as I said it's something that we can do without for now. I would rather prefer a E-2C or the newer E-2D. The only advantage (and a sizable one if u look at it) Osprey would have is that it can make use of the ships that are in the pipeline Vikramaditya or the Vikrant (IAC).

I don't like it because it has poor endurance (half of E-2C), short range and limited coverage. The radar has to be mounted low and deal with interference of power spikes and constant wash from the engines. It is very difficult to stow.
An E-2C/ E-2D would be my choice but they require a catapult for launch, something that we won't have until the 2nd IAC is operational, so until then even if they are procured I believe they can only serve from shore based facilities (pls. correct me if I'm wrong here). This is where the V-22 Osprey really has an advantage as it can land/ take off from the existing ships like Vikramaditya or the Vikrant(IAC).

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
An E-2C/ E-2D would be my choice but they require a catapult for launch, something that we won't have until the 2nd IAC is operational, so until then even if they are procured I believe they can only serve from shore based facilities (pls. correct me if I'm wrong here). This is where the V-22 Osprey really has an advantage as it can land/ take off from the existing ships like Vikramaditya or the Vikrant(IAC).
Like I said before, stowing this aircraft is a problem. It will not fit on the elevators of those ships.

bhramos

Country flag
with the coming of INS vikramaditya, India will be a nation (or the only nation?) to have operated all varieties of aircraft carrier,

INS Vikrant (CATOBAR)

is it HMS Victorious in background!!!!

vishwaprasad

Country flag
I am really tired of waiting for this baby since years....our MOD requires ages to sign the deal and Russians take ages to deliver the things...can't wait to see this baby entering INS Kadamba base in Karwar...

Abhi9

Country flag
Take of MIG-29 K ,video.Apologies if posted earlier

Video of MIG-29k take off from Vikramiditya. Apologies if posted earlier

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles