INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

trackwhack

wait, :wat:
how can be a Steam Turbine Engine more efficient than a Gas Turbine :dude:
Because a steam turbine manages to extract and convert much more of the heat energy in steam into usable power.

The thermal losses in a gas turbine is much higher and a lot more energy is lost during the conversion to useful power.

However, the efficiency of the boilers generating steam is not considered here. When losses from both boilers and turbines units are taken together, efficiency numbers are almost similar in both systems.

trackwhack

There is an additional advantage for steam turbine engines. The diesel engines driving the boilers can use a variety of fuels - from vegetable oils to biofuels and different types of heavy crudes that dont detonate easily(not kerosense and petrol). So in a wartime situation, refuelling the Vicky with alternate fuels is an advantage in case diesel is in short supply.
For gas turbines on the other hand low detonation light crudes which are easy to gasify are required

pmaitra

There is an additional advantage for steam turbine engines. The diesel engines driving the boilers can use a variety of fuels - from vegetable oils to biofuels and different types of heavy crudes that dont detonate easily(not kerosense and petrol). So in a wartime situation, refuelling the Vicky with alternate fuels is an advantage in case diesel is in short supply.
For gas turbines on the other hand low detonation light crudes which are easy to gasify are required
That is not an advantage. Even turbines can use various types of fuels.

Ganesh2691

MiG-29KUB Jets Makes first touch-and-go landing on Indian Carrier

A MiG-29KUB two-seat naval fighter jet made the first touch-and-go landings last week on the Indian Navy aircraft carrier Vikramaditya, Sevmash shipyard said on Monday.

The ship is currently undergoing sea trials in the Barents Sea off the north coast of Russia.

The jet, piloted by navy test-pilots Col. Nikolai Diorditsa and Mikhail Belyaev, completed several approaches to the carrier and finally made a touch-and-go landing.

The Vikramaditya, formerly the Russian Navy's Admiral Gorshkov, is to be handed over to India after the trials after a much-delayed refit.

The ship was extensively modified to undertake STOBAR (short takeoff but assisted recovery) operations with MiG-29K naval fighter aircraft, as well as receiving new air defense, communications and navigations systems.

MiG-29KUB Makes first touch-and-go landing on Vikramaditya | idrw.org

trackwhack

pmaitra

No they cannot. Each Gas turbine is built for a family of fuels. Unless the turbine is built for heavy fuels like diesel biodiesel and naptha, it wont work. Specifically the LM2500 will only work with light fuels and or a mixture of natural gas/LPG.

http://site.ge-energy.com/prod_serv/products/tech_docs/en/downloads/ger4250.pdf
I wasn't talking about any particular engine model.

I was responding particularly to this:
What you are saying here is incorrect.

You can build a piston-cylinder IC engine, as well as a turbine engine, that can burn various types of fuels. So, piston-cylinder engines do not have any advantage over turbines w.r.t. the types of fuel it can use. That was my point.

Currently a wide range of Russian military vehicles employ multifuel engines, such as the T-72 tank (multifuel diesel) and the T-80 (multifuel gas turbine).
Source: Multifuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just like you cannot use bio-diesel in LM2500, you cannot use gasoline in a Volkswagen TDI Diesel engine.

It is worth mentioning that the diesel engine was first designed to run on coal dust.

trackwhack

I wasn't talking about any particular engine model.

I was responding particularly to this:

What you are saying here is incorrect.

You can build a piston-cylinder IC engine, as well as a turbine engine, that can burn various types of fuels. So, piston-cylinder engines do not have any advantage over turbines w.r.t. the types of fuel it can use. That was my point.

Source: Multifuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just like you cannot use bio-diesel in LM2500, you cannot use gasoline in a Volkswagen TDI Diesel engine.

It is worth mentioning that the diesel engine was first designed to run on coal dust.
Dont know what you are going on about. The flexibility of a diesel Internal combustion engine is that it can run a wide variety of chep heavy crudes and bio oils. Gas turbine fuels on the other hand are high grade light distilled crudes that need to gasify spontaneously or under small heat. I can dump a few tonnes of linseed oil into my diesel engine and it will still run. Read about fuels versatility of compression ignition engines (diesel) going back to WW1.

pmaitra

Dont know what you are going on about. The flexibility of a diesel Internal combustion engine is that it can run a wide variety of chep heavy crudes and bio oils. Gas turbine fuels on the other hand are high grade light distilled crudes that need to gasify spontaneously or under small heat. I can dump a few tonnes of linseed oil into my diesel engine and it will still run. Read about fuels versatility of compression ignition engines (diesel) going back to WW1.
Diesel engines are flexible only if they are designed that way. Otherwise, they are not at all flexible. Ditto for turbines.

There are diesel engines that specify that you can only use a certain type of diesel. Even using a different kind of diesel can damage the engine.

trackwhack

Diesel engines are flexible only if they are designed that way. Otherwise, they are not at all flexible. Ditto for turbines.

There are diesel engines that specify that you can only use a certain type of diesel. Even using a different kind of diesel can damage the engine.
ok ... got it

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
MIG-29K Documentary ( Wing Of Russia Series.)

Worth watching..

Last edited by a moderator:

john70

Country flag

john70

Country flag
Re: Mig-29K Makes Maiden Landing On INS Vikramaditya

thats a joke right?
Possibly you are meaning that it is in Russian... but there is a link on page to translate in english.
This is a very nice journal with photos, showing from what the ship was to what is it now. A worth watching one.

charlyondfi

Re: Mig-29K Makes Maiden Landing On INS Vikramaditya

A MiG-29KUB two-seat naval fighter jet made the first touch-and-go landings last week on India's aircraft carrier
Good!! After such a long while. Vikramaditya finally score a touch-down ahead of Varyag - at least so far there is no official confirmation Varyag got plane landing & taking off.

P.s - please don't simplify my point as India vs China, please, please, please. You see,, it can be so interesting, & exciting, to see these two sisters (not exactly same class I know, but considering the long way they back to stage, in a new life!!) refitting, re-making up, preparing their another shining return, at tow separate corners in Asia. (Especially now we know there won't be so fast other beauties following them!!)

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Osprey Sparks Indian Interest. Again.

Just did a tour of Boeing's Philadelphia rotorcraft facility where part of the V-22 Osprey is built (the rest is built at Arlington, Texas by Bell Helicopter). Mike Rolecki, director of the programme, says the Indian government has been given a couple of introductory presentations on the programme and system, and that Bell-Boeing was awaiting guidance on any concrete requirement (nobody's holding their breaths). Boeing, which says it hopes to wrap up the first international sale of V-22s by the end of this year, believes the V-22 could serve in a variety of roles with the Indian forces. Will update this post later tonight. Leaving for Seattle in an hour where I'll be filming the Indian P-8I and some other kit.
Livefist

Articles