INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

pmaitra

I don't think IN asked for space!! I think they built that space to balance the AC so that i does not sink, they made the flight deck much bigger than it was before so they had to somehow balance it hence the extra space on the other side.

Regarding that tower i dont know why built it for!! They could easily install radars in island itself. But i think it also helps to keep AC floats since it was built in very end of AC.
Could be for balancing, and that seems the likely reason. However, you are missing the point. The island is where it always was. The deck was extended and so it looks like it is in the middle. The position of the island has not changed.

I don't know about the tower, but I guess they felt in necessary. I wonder if someone can explain.

plugwater

Could be for balancing, and that seems the likely reason. However, you are missing the point. The island is where it always was. The deck was extended and so it looks like it is in the middle. The position of the island has not changed.

I don't know about the tower, but I guess they felt in necessary. I wonder if someone can explain.
Yes it is in the same position. Had they made that space a bit more bigger we could have used that for parking Migs.

pmaitra

^^

I was thinking of the same thing. That would have been a great idea.

plugwater

Yes, this is what i assumed at first but looking at different pics, there are no plans for radar there even in dome..

Vikramaditya Surveillance radar is at top..
Since AC has so many radars they might keep something there. We have to wait for some more time to see what they are going to install in it.

Tolaha

Never been a fan of this investment, IN will have a lot of issues
Even if one of the returns on this investment (as per unconfirmed reports) is assistance in other fields like Arihanth/IAC?

Adux

Country flag
Gentlemen,

It is no optical illusion, the island was always on the center, and I always knew it. I am just sadder looking at after spending 2.3 billion on it

Adux

Country flag
The dang thing is on boilers,

The lifts are bang in the middle of the runaway, that is going to take a big hit on turn around time,

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
Not likely - the Russians will not give us ANY money back after having spent most of it on the ship.
The Gorshkov deal seems more and more of a bad proposition. However, whenever it arrives, it would be good to have 2 A/C in IN - for the first time ever.
We operated Vikrant and Viraat together in the early to late 90s. So this isnt the first time we are going to have 2 aircraft carriers.

Actually the plan is to have 2 atleast..one for the eastern fleet and one for the western.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
They did not build the island in the centre. They built it exactly on the side. See the picture of the original Baku, rechristened Admiral Gorshkov. It was altered as per Indian requirements for conversion to INS Vikramaditya. So, no, the island was not built in the centre, rather, the desk was extended as an overhang.

Optical illusion. ;)

Another view of the overhang due to deck extension (in progress):
So that will be parking space then? More room for fighter or is that for ballast against the extended deck to the port side?

Not sure what that extra space is for but i looks like it can comfortably park a few fighters there.

Adux

Country flag
Lets make these comparisons when the US is willing to sell us a carrier. The boat will carry 20 planes that will kick the Chicom ass until we have an indigenous fleet, thats all that matters.
What has the US got to with this ? I was of the opinion that we could have built it ourselves or like the way did with our Deepak class, we could have built on in Italy and while making other one here in Cochin.

Adux

Country flag
Gorshokov, Akula and Arihant consultation were all part of one deal if i remember correctly(last 2 were side deals).
The side deals have been completed and delivered before the main deal very backward way to work by the Russians.
MiG 29K's and Gorshkov was a package

Akula's and Arihant's was another.

I rather India gave just 1 billion free to the Russians than buy these operationally crooked crap.

Adux

Country flag
Special Needs Prefect strikes again with 'nimbleness' and americanism ( all the while he lives there, ungrateful; shows character )
Anyways,

It is an old hag, its island (which cannot be relocated) its in the damn middle of the runway, making land and lift off, much more much more serious event, than it was already in naval carrier aviation. Furthermore, the lifts are in the middle of the runway, so you cannot launch an aircraft while bringing up an aircraft, you cannot while in the event of an engagement launch aircrafts while preparing the next one, since next one can only come up when the aircrafts have been launched. You cannot keep parked any aircrafts on deck beforehand, because there is no space since the island is in the middle. What a colossal waste.

Its not the fault of the Gorshkov, since it was never designed in the first place to be an aircraft carrier, Indian Navy should be blamed for trying to press for Russian equipment which doesnt fit their doctrine or style of operations. Also, it is a hotpotch of things and the carrier is already 30 years old.

I wish we could have built to Vikrant Class simultaneously, one in Italy and other one in cochin.

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
I agree. Now that we got the MiG-29Ks, we have to get the Gorshkov/Vikramaditya.

On the other hand, there were lapses on the part of Russia in estimating the amount of repair/refurbishing, time, and cost needed. Bad press for them and loss of confidence.
We are expecting Russia to deliver like they did during Soviet era,but the truth is that
infrastructure is gone now they are buying ships from France and UAV from Israel.

Adux

Country flag
We are expecting Russia to deliver like they did during Soviet era,but the truth is that
infrastructure is gone now they are buying ships from France and UAV from Israel.
While selling their old junk to us at current prices, while buying new stuff from outside as well as putting our money into their R&D, we keep on buying Sukhoi's and T-90's while they dont even buy anything, even though their forces are crumbling, they have decided to move ahead and make a new defense industry at our expense.

Articles