INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

smanekshaw

Instead of refurbishing Gorshkov, we should have bought Sevmash and commisioned them to build a brand new aircraft carrier for us. We could have also learnt from them, rather than depending on DRDO clowns

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Does that star board are have enough room for some NLCA or Ks? Does look large enough for a couple of fighter or atleast Helicopters?

natarajan

Instead of refurbishing Gorshkov, we should have bought Sevmash and commisioned them to build a brand new aircraft carrier for us. We could have also learnt from them, rather than depending on DRDO clowns
We have already contructing aircraft carrier in cochin ,may be instead of 2nd hand we might have ordered new

pmaitra

Baku's Island

The fourth hull of the Kiev class was altered during construction into an improved design, intended in part to test systems planned for the forthcoming full-size CVs and CVNs.

Baku's island being lifted into position at the Nikolayev South shipyard in 1981

Compared to her near-sisters, Baku had a much-modernized sensor fit with redesigned island, more anti-ship missiles and fewer ASW and AA weapons, newer guns, and omission of troublesome items such as the torpedo tubes. Additional processing capability was built into the "Gauntlet" system, so four targets could be engaged simultaneously. They still kept the troublesome steam propulsion system, however. The "Sky Watch" phased array was not operational when Baku commissioned and according to some sources, never was.

detail of "Sky Watch" phased array; a "Gauntlet" VLS can be seen aft of the island and parked "Forger"

Tactical Aviation Cruiser (Kiev Class):
Classified as aviation cruisers (taktichesky avianosny kreyser), they were much closer to conventional aircraft carriers than the Moskva class. They had a large island superstructure to starboard, with an angled flight deck to port. However, unlike American carriers, the bow of the ships carried a very heavy armament fit, including the long-range, nuclear-capable P-500 Bazalt anti-ship missile, known to NATO as the SS-N-12 Sandbox. The air wing consisted of up to 22 Yakovlev Yak-38 Forger VTOL fighters and 16 Kamov Ka-25 Hormone or Ka-27 Helix helicopters. Ten of the helicopters were ASW machines, with two utility/SAR machines and four missile-guidance aircraft.

References:
http://www.harpoondatabases.com/encyclopedia/Entry1497.aspx
http://www.military-today.com/navy/kiev_class.htm

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
^ It was a separate piece? This makes me wonder if the IAC 1 will be crowned the same way!

Also the space on the side of the island is not new, it was there even in the old design before refurbishment.

pmaitra

• The island of the Baku, Gorshkov, and Vikramaditya are same (I think).
  • The space to the starboard side of the island has been extended in Vikramaditya (I am fairly certain).

Adux

Country flag
GK,

Kiev class has a much much larger island on a smaller hull in comparison Kuzentov, The Island is always constructed separately, though the foundations and balancing for it is done on the hull, therefore we cannot move the hull, its better to scrap the damn thing.

This ship is going to be a maintenance nightmare.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
During Vikramaditya development, One should have removed that and place something modern degin as per need..

I assume there must be major problems..

pmaitra

During Vikramaditya development, One should have removed that and place something modern degin as per need..

I assume there must be major problems..
That was a possibility.

However, one cannot make too many changes, i.e. make the island too light or too heavy, because it fits at a certain place in the hull, and changes in weight will require changes in hull as well, or require adding ballast. I want to see how much change there will be in the entire island structure after it goes out for sea trials.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
  • The space to the starboard side of the island has been extended in Vikramaditya (I am fairly certain).
Dont think they have extended the star board area. In the past it had a few stuff like those life rafts that they cleared now, so it looks like we have more space.

Actually that was the design error that was rectified in the Kuzentov and now they can park 4 more airframes in front of the island, where as we can not because our island is to close to the landing strip.

Notice
the error has been rectified and the Island placed far to the left and is also smaller compared to Gorshkov. As a result they can park that Kamov helicopter, there seems to be more room. Wonder if we have done any modifications in this regard on Vikramaditya.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
GK,

Kiev class has a much much larger island on a smaller hull in comparison Kuzentov, The Island is always constructed separately, though the foundations and balancing for it is done on the hull, therefore we cannot move the hull, its better to scrap the damn thing.

This ship is going to be a maintenance nightmare.
The Island seems to be of the same size, it has only been moved to the far left?

Adux

Country flag
I might be wrong there, they might be of the same size, sorry was drunk yesterday,

its very easy to find the length and breadth of the Islands, we know the dimensions of both the carriers.

Anyways,

There is a little of bit of extension carried out on the backside (i dont know the ship's term, and i cant be bothered to Google to make myself look intelligent) of the island, It looks as if it has been extended by a 2 to 3 meters from what you have posted. Therefore there is a possibility of parking maybe 3 or less MiG-29K's there, mind you I am speculating here.

Adux

Country flag
GK,

Do you know what is the more serious problem than anything,

We dont have adequate spacing on top to park, therefore we will be parking below deck, but we cant bring up the damn plane's when a landing or take off is taking place. SINCE THE LIFTS ARE ON THE DANG RUNWAY.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
GK,

Do you know what is the more serious problem than anything,

We dont have adequate spacing on top to park, therefore we will be parking below deck, but we cant bring up the damn plane's when a landing or take off is taking place. SINCE THE LIFTS ARE ON THE DANG RUNWAY.
The lift is positioned on the rear left not on the runway. Either way our aircraft launch timing would be dam slow compared to other Carriers.

There is room for parking 7 or 8 fighters on deck. If they can fold the propellers on the Helos, they can park them behind the bridge. Looks like enough room their for something..

Adux

Country flag
The lift is positioned on the rear left not on the runway. Either way our aircraft launch timing would be dam slow compared to other Carriers.

There is room for parking 7 or 8 fighters on deck. If they can fold the propellers on the Helos, they can park them behind the bridge. Looks like enough room their for something..
There are two lifts, one is on the runway, it has been there from the time of Gorshkov and now even when it is Indian Naval Carrier. They haven't tinkered around with the position of the lifts as well as the main Island, I think they have expanded the area behind the bridge? Maybe it will be large enough to hold heli's or Mig, atleast 3 or 4 them

Articles