INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

J20!

Country flag
J20, you are a class A troll man. Even with your arguments you are looking at between 24 to 28 aircraft. Like I said you are plain demented.
You know what? Fine, it can carry 30 migs and 10 helos as Kunal said...

trackwhack

You know what? Fine, it can carry 30 migs and 10 helos as Kunal said... I really dont feel like arguing with people who disregard fact for fantasy.
What fact fantasy bull are you talking about. Even if we acknowledge the lowest number of 12 in hangar and 12 on deck, thats 24. Or did you flunk class 2 math? Forget 12, even 10+10 = 20 dude.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What fact fantasy bull are you talking about. Even if we acknowledge the lowest number of 12 in hangar and 12 on deck, thats 24. Or did you flunk class 2 math? Forget 12, even 10+10 = 20 dude.
He has been answered..

raja696

Once the deal is struck, Russia is bound to stick to it. However, I learnt from a source (unverified) that Russia did, at the first instance of cost escalation, offer to return the money India already paid and cancel the deal, but India chose to stick to the deal. I have seen videos of the refurbishing and it indeed needed a lot of work. There is inflation and labour costs in Russia have risen after the first decade following the collapse of the USSR and has been on a constant rise. Even Russian Military has had troubles with Russian Defense contractors. I would put a part of the blame on the Russians, not the whole as being portrayed by the media.

i believe its the problem with management issues of contractors of ship builders(in russia) rather then country to country relations. So India should insist on constant reports of progress and perform audits how they are(russian contractors) are building. Time delay is always advantageous to contractors as they can claim extra money for same work. So I believe its mistake from India side too , for giving room to russian contractors (lack of inspections and mounting pressure to deliver vessel in time)

p2prada

Gorky won't carry more than 16 Mig-29s for operational reasons. We need the rest for at least 10 helos for transport, AEW and ASW requirements.

She can sacrifice the 10 helos(which I doubt) for more Mig-29s, but I am not sure if the support infrastructure carried on board is sufficient. Mig-29s are heavy. So, carrying more will decrease range of the ship drastically.

A larger carrier like Varyag or Kuznetsov can carry 28 Mig-29s plus helos as compared, but not more. Realistically, the Kuznetsov can carry only 16 Su-33s apart from an equal number of helos.

So, the Varyag will end up carrying 5-10 aircraft more than Gorky, but will have a slight advantage in endurance and survivability.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Gorky won't carry more than 16 Mig-29s for operational reasons. We need the rest for at least 10 helos for transport, AEW and ASW requirements.

She can sacrifice the 10 helos(which I doubt) for more Mig-29s, but I am not sure if the support infrastructure carried on board is sufficient. Mig-29s are heavy. So, carrying more will decrease range of the ship drastically.

A larger carrier like Varyag or Kuznetsov can carry 28 Mig-29s plus helos as compared, but not more. Realistically, the Kuznetsov can carry only 16 Su-33s apart from an equal number of helos.

So, the Varyag will end up carrying 5-10 aircraft more than Gorky, but will have a slight advantage in endurance and survivability.
hmmm - so 25-26 is the total number of aircrafts? either 12-16 Mig-29Ks + 10 Helos or 24 Mig-29Ks?
AFAIK, INS Viraat could carry 30 harriers in wartime mission.

So for $2 billion we are getting a toy aircraft carrier with half the number of fighters?
AWESOME! real value of money ...

p2prada

hmmm - so 25-26 is the total number of aircrafts? either 12-16 Mig-29Ks + 10 Helos or 24 Mig-29Ks?
AFAIK, INS Viraat could carry 30 harriers in wartime mission.

So for $2 billion we are getting a toy aircraft carrier with half the number of fighters?
AWESOME! real value of money ...
If we want to run an operation close to our bases, like Karachi or Myanmar, then we can carry a much larger complement of fighters and helos beyond the number I mentioned. But the range of the ship will be drastically low.

A Nimitz can carry 130 SHs at it's maximum configuration, but it makes no sense to carry so many.

Anyway the Gorky would be way ahead as compared to Viraat. The Mig-29s alone would surpass the Harriers capabilities at least by two to three times, if not more.

The toy carrier with half the number of fighters is far superior to Viraat. Anyway the Viraat's configuration of 30 aircraft includes both fighters and helos. Viraat is currently operating 15 Harriers apart from 10 Helos.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Well slight OT but I didn't find a better thread to ask.

Can anyone figure out what gun is it in INS Viraat?

This should not be a 40 mm Bofors AA gun as I havn't found anything like this here, Category:Bofors 40 mm gun (naval) - Wikimedia Commons

More over this seems like the 40 mm Bofors AA gun on INS Viraat

it resembles this model

Is the gun at the first picture a Russian CIWS like Ak-630?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
^^^ the list have not included SAR Helicopters and Trainer Jets for INS Vikramadatya.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Looks like we can definitely sell some NLCAs to Brazil, they dont seem to have any other great fighters on Sao Paulo?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Good to know that soviet equipment are installed in an ex-British warship,

Russian hardware are amazing, want to see this in coming aircraft carriers

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Good to know that soviet equipment are installed in an ex-British warship,

Russian hardware are amazing, want to see this in coming aircraft carriers

We will be getting this, I talked abt Kashtan CIWS in other place, But to know that its production is stopped and more enhanced CIWS like Palash may be fitted on Coming carriers..

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
^^^ The Air defense system above seems like optically mastered, it seems like it it might face a problem on dense smoke or fog environment and even do not seems like All weather capable unless assisted by a targeting radar.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
^^^ The Air defense system above seems like optically mastered, it seems like it it might face a problem on dense smoke or fog environment and even do not seems like All weather capable unless assisted by a targeting radar.
Its Radar Unit is placed on higher area of the ship for better coverage just like AK-630..

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Thanks for the comparisons and graphics. I thought the CDG carried 2 sqdrns of M-Rafales - which are multi-role fighters and not separated as air-combat or ground attack ones.

@P2Prada
Anyway the Gorky would be way ahead as compared to Viraat. The Mig-29s alone would surpass the Harriers capabilities at least by two to three times, if not more.

The toy carrier with half the number of fighters is far superior to Viraat. Anyway the Viraat's configuration of 30 aircraft includes both fighters and helos. Viraat is currently operating 15 Harriers apart from 10 Helos.
True, that the Mig-29Ks are much better than the Harriers, but Still, the "Toy carrier" name is proper, considering we compare it to modern day carriers like the Nimitz, the CDG or the Liz class ones or even to the Varyag. The Viraat is 60 years old carrying 40 year old fighters and we certainly did not pay $2 Billions for it - no point comparing it to the Gorshky ....

Last edited:

trackwhack

Can Naval LCA's with GE 414 or a Kaveri with 90kn of thrust take off from the Viraat? Is it possible to keep the Viraat relevant until 2025 with a squadron of Naval LCA's?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles