INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

pankaj nema

Country flag
Only 16 Mig-29K fighters? That's just one squadron! I thought the number was closer to the 29 IN was buying.
INS Vikramaditya will carry 16 Mig 29 fighters ie it has space only for 16 fighters and a few helicopters

But India has ordered a total of 45 Mig 29 fighters ie 16 + 29 more for IAC 1 ie INS Vikrant and IAC 2 yet unnamed

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I am wondering how come USN carriers carry 70 fighters but our AC only carries 18 fighter? Ton for Ton our carrier is atleast half the size so we should carry atleast 40fighter?

pankaj nema

Country flag
I am wondering how come USN carriers carry 70 fighters but our AC only carries 18 fighter? Ton for Ton our carrier is atleast half the size so we should carry atleast 40fighter?
Perhaps This ton for ton logic is not applicable for aircraft carriers

US carriers are N Powered INS Vikramaditya is diesel or gas turbine maybe that takes more space

Then the space that is needed for the essentials such as living quarters weapon stations ; radars and
control rooms is common for both types of carriers

When you have a 1 LAKH tonne Aircraft carrier then after all space needed for the essential things
the remainning space is FREE for putting planes

Viraat and Vikrant were 25 and 20 thousand tonnes category ships
respectively but they carriied only a handful of planes

And maybe it is also related to the difference in ski jump and catapult system

trackwhack

Catapult makes a heck of a lot of difference. Half the deck space for a ski jump carrier is the airstrip that needs to be vacant.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Catapult makes a heck of a lot of difference. Half the deck space for a ski jump carrier is the airstrip that needs to be vacant.
Hi Trackwhack, I didnt know it made such a huge difference. I suppose it frees the entire Ski-jump area for parking then? Even then you can park another 5 aircraft's at most there.

The Steam Catapult can only work on a nuclear carrier, the steam for the catapult comes from the reactor. So there is no question of us useing a steam catapult.

Is the new carrier built in Cochin catapult or ski jump?

Last edited:

trackwhack

Catapults dont require a nuclear reactor. Its just about generating and storing enough steam. And obviously from a size to output ratio, nothing beats a nuclear reactor. IAC2 is supposed to have a catapult launch but its not nuclear powered as per plans. I am not sure if that will change. Maybe the approach is

IAC1 - Conventional power and STOBAR
IAC2 - Conventional power and CATOBAR
IAC3 and upwards - Nuclear and CATOBAR.

My two cents, we should have gone straight for nuclear powered or catapult on IAC 1 itself even if it meant 2 additional years before commissioning

btw, steam catapults will be a thing of the past as the next gen US carriers will use Electromagnetic catapults. If we have the foresight then we will team up with the Japs to build this on IAC2. No one beats the Japs on the Maglev front.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Maglevs are not practical yet, the steam catapult has more power and punch. Ya the Japs are the one who invented Aircraft Carriers so i guess they would be good in both.

I dont get why we need 2 separate patches for Landing and Take off on Vikramaditya, if we combine both then we may get more space. The landing must be angled towards the take off then.

Uruk

If you combine landing and take off tracks you cant retrieve aircraft while launching

J20!

Country flag
16 inside another 14 or 15 on deck..

16+14 = Near 30 something..
Dude stop with the denial. I told you months ago it could only carry 12 to 16 Migs didnt I? That's why 12 K's and 4KUB's were ordered for it.

Koovie

Dude stop with the denial. I told you months ago it could only carry 12 to 16 Migs didnt I? That's why 12 K's and 4KUB's were ordered for it.
true. 16 mig 29ks + 7-8 helos. But I think that this is a good number considering the fact that we are the only country in the IOR who has such capable fighters flying over the oceans. (except of the us)

trackwhack

What part of 16 Mig 29K's plus several Mig 29KUB's do you not understand? Or are you just plain demented? The ship will carry 29/30 fighters plus 10 helos. Go read up on the deck and hangar layout before posting tripe.

The aircraft carrier has capacity to house up to 16 Mig-29K fighter aircrafts, as well as a number of Mig-29KUB aircrafts and up to ten helicopters, Vedomosti reports. As part of the deal with the «Vikramaditja», India also ordered a total of 29 Mig-29K/KUB fighter jets.

arya

Country flag
from where we can confirm the real numbers of planes on AC

any source ???

ash2win

true. 16 mig 29ks + 7-8 helos. But I think that this is a good number considering the fact that we are the only country in the IOR who has such capable fighters flying over the oceans. (except of the us)
What part of 16 Mig 29K's plus several Mig 29KUB's do you not understand? Or are you just plain demented? The ship will carry 29/30 fighters plus 10 helos. Go read up on the deck and hangar layout before posting tripe.
16 inside another 14 or 15 on deck..

16+14 = Near 30 something..
Guys,im confused like hell..
what is the total number of Aircrafts that it can carry ?:tsk:

its a hundred dollar question!!:taunt1:
any reliable sources?
i assume its 24 Mig 29K/KUBs + 8-10 helos.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Guys,im confused like hell..
what is the total number of Aircrafts that it can carry ?:tsk:

its a hundred dollar question!!:taunt1:
any reliable sources?
i assume its 24 Mig 29K/KUBs + 8-10 helos.
Aircraft carried:16-24 Mikoyan MiG-29K, 10 helicopters, possible mix of Ka-28 helicopters ASW,Ka-31 helicopters AEW, or HAL Dhruv
INS Vikramaditya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, the ****ing contest you started about Vikramaditya and Varyag..
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...kov-ins-vikramaditya-news-discussions-50.html

16 MIG-29K in Inside, 12-14 MIG-29K on deck..

There are total 45 MIG-29k ordered for 2 carriers, Also there are 8 NLCA to be added..

So do we have any arguments left ?

Just an Example, You can carry inside also you carry outside..

Similarly:

Outside 12-14

Inside 13-16

Actual figures are not out over Net..

J20!

Country flag
Read Post Number:

Again, Before commenting..

Last edited by a moderator:

trackwhack

J20, you are a class A troll man. Even with your arguments you are looking at between 24 to 28 aircraft. Like I said you are plain demented.

ice berg

Maybe if you park them on top of each other .....

Joke aside. It is a difference of what you can carry max and the ideal number. Just because you can, dosnt means you should.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Maybe if you park them on top of each other .....

Joke aside. It is a difference of what you can carry max and the ideal number. Just because you can, dosnt means you should.
Thats actually not a bad idea, may be we can find a way to park aircrafts on top of each other through ramps like on parking lots.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles