INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

JAISWAL

'Aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov shaping up for sea trials' - *

The aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov that India bought in 2004 is shaping up well to begin its sea trials in a couple of months, Indian Navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma has concluded after a six-day visit to Russia, where the warship is undergoing a refit.

Verma, who visited the aircraft carrier for which India has agreed to pay $2.34 billion, returned to India Monday, a navy press release issued Wednesday said.

He had gone to the Sevmash shipyard and taken a tour of Gorshkov, a 45,000 tonne warship of the Kiev class that has already been rechristened INS Vikramaditya by Indian Navy.

Apart from the shipyard, the navy chief also visited Vladivostok, Moscow, St. Petersburg and Kaliningrad.

'Admiral Verma took an extensive tour of Vikramaditya on his visit to the Sevmash Shipyard, where he observed that significant progress had been made and the ship was shaping up well for the preliminary sea trials,' the release said.

During his visit to Kaliningrad, he reviewed the progress of the Talwar class follow-on frigates, under construction at the Yantar shipyard. He was reassured that the first ship INS Teg would commence trials shortly and be delivered in six to eight months, it said.

The admiral made a first hand assessment of all projects and held vital discussions with officials at the highest leadership levels of the Russian armed forces and defence industry.

'Reviewing ongoing projects, he observed that they were progressing satisfactorily and had reached critical stages of maturity. He also expressed satisfaction with the quality of construction and repairs,' the release added.

In his discussions with the Russian Navy commander-in-chief on operational exchanges between the two navies, they agreed that the Indra naval war exercises series formed an important aspect of their bilateral relationship, and would need to be continued and extended in scope and participation.

They also discussed possible avenues of co-operation including anti-piracy operations, the release said.

sant

Price we are paying for this russian junk, we can build 2 aircraft carriers. Russians are doing these tactics in other projects also. We needed to play hard game.

bhramos

Country flag
Price we are paying for this russian junk, we can build 2 aircraft carriers. Russians are doing these tactics in other projects also. We needed to play hard game.
we could build two Carriers, but time...
may be until the 2nd IAC wont enter service before 2020...

Koovie

Well at least I hope that the Russians and our goverment will see this whole gorshkov thing as a prove of the Indo-Russian friendship.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
look at the pathetic condition the Ship was in! Its still pathetic! :(

Last edited by a moderator:

charlyondfi

Indeed. I am afraid India QA people there really need to watch out.

I can see they replace quite cables, but can't tell how much percentage. Also the works on propeller (new one? tend to say NO), screw & control shaft (actually one of the most delicate works on a ship), installation of a new (again ?) landing touch, works on take-off skate-board. We can see they paint on the rusty hull -- I don't want to address on the rusty, but rather the paint. Hope that's a military standard paint, as it needs to sail almost half earth.

And, it seems an official one by Russia TV. If so, no one can tell how much behind the scenes.

Can someone be kind to provide a "reception list", or "construction summary" about Vikramaditya? It can be of much reference since China supposed to face same issue in their Varyag (and can someone also kindly enough update me what name & designation Chinese decide on it, yet or no? damn China navy & its "top secret"...can only refer to its old name)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

I can see they replace quite cables, but can't tell how much percentage. Also the works on propeller (new one? tend to say NO), screw & control shaft (actually one of the most delicate works on a ship), installation of a new (again ?) landing touch, take-off skate-board.

And, it seems an official one by Russia TV. If so, no one can tell how much behind the scenes.

Can someone be kind to provide a "reception list", or "construction summary" about Vikramaditya? It can be of much reference since China supposed to face same issue in their Varyag (and can someone kindly let me know what name & designation Chinese decide on it, yet or no? damn China navy & its "top secret"...can only refer to its old name)

Old Vid....

Every thing is new except the hull itself..

charlyondfi

Old Vid....

Every thing is new except the hull itself..
Sorry, KB. You got new vid? Until we can see most updated one, how can we be sure "everything is new" - you saw they are painting on it. At least at certain completion they do painting. Right

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sorry, KB. You got new vid? Until we can see most updated one, how can we be sure "everything is new" - you saw they are painting on it. At least at certain completion they do painting. Right
That is because Russian only offered superstructure rest is all new including cables, Its all in the thread..
You can at-least see i have posted many pictures here, the latest are from 2010..

Re-posting pics:

June 2010

Early 2011

Patriot

Country flag

Work on INS Vikramaditya 85 per cent complete

MOSCOW (BNS): Work on Indian Navy's aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya is 85 per cent complete and it is set to enter the sea next month for trials.

A high level Indian Navy delegation led by Vice Admiral Niranjan Kumar, which visited Russia's Sevmash shipyard to inspect the refurbishing work on the naval vessel, has "expressed satisfaction", the shipyard said.

"The readiness of the ship is already more than 85 percent," Kumar said, expressing hope that the Russian shipyard would complete the remaining work so that the ship could be commissioned in December 2012.

President of JSC United Shipbuilding Corporation Roman Trotsenko assured that the final stage of modernisation will be conducted with "great care" and with attention to quality.

"Today, the works are on schedule... I am sure that in December 2012, the ship will be delivered to the customer," the Russian official said....................

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
What submarine is that in front of the Vikramaditya?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

The inside of it looked trashed and rusted out. Water in every lower compartment. I would still question the integrity of the structure looking at how unkept it was. Just a total disaster area...

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
The inside of it looked trashed and rusted out. Water in every lower compartment. I would still question the integrity of the structure looking at how unkept it was. Just a total disaster area...
I guess it did look pretty trashed out, the lower levels where flooded when they found it. If i remember correctly the Russians gifted it to India in early 1994 free of cost, the IN did not accept it becoz of the heavy refit cost, it was estimated to be 1 billion back then itself!!

Later Putin came to India and force gifted it to GoI, guess its from Russia with love. I wonder even if building a new carrier costs 2 billion these day. How ever the IN did Sonograms on the hull much like on a pregnant women to see how much steel is left and they where convinced the metal was healthy. I guess as long as it floats and it stays away from glaciers like the Titanic it wont have any problems for another 50 years.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag

I can see they replace quite cables, but can't tell how much percentage. Also the works on propeller (new one? tend to say NO), screw & control shaft (actually one of the most delicate works on a ship), installation of a new (again ?) landing touch, works on take-off skate-board. We can see they paint on the rusty hull -- I don't want to address on the rusty, but rather the paint. Hope that's a military standard paint, as it needs to sail almost half earth.

Can someone be kind to provide a "reception list", or "construction summary" about Vikramaditya? It can be of much reference since China supposed to face same issue in their Varyag (and can someone also kindly enough update me what name & designation Chinese decide on it, yet or no? damn China navy & its "top secret"...can only refer to its old name)
The Varyag was not even completed, as i have heard it did not have any anti-rusting protection either. I am not sure what would be the state of Varyag after refit. However it will be in pretty good shape once it is completed.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
First Sortie of INS Vikramaditya Postponed For May 2012
Text: RusNavy.com
Photo: INS Vikramaditya. solid-msk.ru
As a result of inspection held by top-ranking Indian officers at Sevmash shipyard, general schedule of modernization works on aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya was revised.

As was earlier reported by Central Navy Portal, delegation of Indian Navy officers headed by chief of ship building and procurement department Vice Admiral N.N. Kumar arrived at JSC Sevmash shipyard on Sept 20. Main result of the inspection was changing of pre-scheduled start date of Vikramaditya's sea trials.

Military cooperation with India has been always one of Russia's top priorities. This time, Indian delegation was met by a group of high-ranking persons headed by president of JSC United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC) Roman Trotsenko and leadership of Sevmash shipyard – acting director general Mikhail Budnichenko and chief engineer Alexei Alsufiev, vice president of USC and director general of Northern Shipbuilding and Ship Repair Center Anatoly Tiukov, head of military technical cooperation department Igor Ponomariov, deputy chief of Rosoboronexport's Navy department Evgeny Odintsov.

Summarizing results of inspection, the parties signed a working protocol. Indian Navy's delegates were satisfied with the course of works on the ship's upgrade and agreed with Sevmash officials to postpone the start date of sea trials from Dec 2011 to May 2012 without delaying of the full trial program providing that the acceptance certificate would be signed in due time – on Dec 4, 2012.

According to the protocol, although the works are 4 months behind the schedule, Russian party obliged to do away with the lag till the beginning of sea trials, i.e. end of May, 2011. As of today, the ship is 85% ready. Sevmash will have to complete basic outfitting works, interior finishing, and mooring trials until March 2012. Electromagnetic field measurements are scheduled in Apr 2012, and upon their results it will be decided whether the ship needs degaussing. Till 2012 the shipyard will have to furnish messrooms, cookrooms, medical and living premises: cabins, crew quarters, shower rooms and latrines. Besides, the ship must be checked by Navigation Safety Inspection, and one of its obligatory conditions is that the trial crew should settle in the ship at least 90 days prior to the first sortie. Thus, settlement date of Russian crew to INS Vikramaditya must be mid-Feb 2012.

VADM Kumar drew attention to a number of other problems, such as training of Indian crew, transfer of service documentation, etc. Generally, the Indian party had noticed considerable progress. The next inspection is to arrive at Sevmash in Jan 2012 to check trials of main propulsion plant.
First Sortie of INS Vikramaditya Postponed For May 2012

Finally some progress!However testing in 2012 would mean that we only get her around 2014.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles