INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Americans complain of the AN/ALQ99 jamming pod as having low reliability and penalizes speed. Better wait for their Next Gen Jammer which is AESA based. Aside from usual jamming the NGJ will also have these capabilities:
Is this EW pods Fit in the MiG's Hardpoints

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Actually I haven't seen a picture of their NGJ. It should fit the Mig29 since it is designed primarily for the F35.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
IN will use existing Israeli / Russian EW pods..
Sir But I didn't find-out any Jamming pods is currently operated by IN even IAF ..Israel and Russian Operating their home made for their own fleet ..I didn't find out they Export to India

and Model Name for your Words

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Latest Active ECM pods..

IAI ELL-8222 used by IAF as well as IN

DRDO tusker EW pod used by IAF

Sir But I didn't find-out any Jamming pods is currently operated by IN even IAF ..Israel and Russian Operating their home made for their own fleet ..I didn't find out they Export to India

and Model Name for your Words

lookieloo

Some technical questions on things I haven't yet spotted in the photos or videos:
1. Does this ship have jetblast-deflectors?
2 Does it have a deck-wash system?
3. Where are the fuel points?

Apologies if these have already been discussed, but the thread is 149 pages long.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
EW Functions

Vikramaditya had Ka 27 AEW heli's But the Speed is only at 250Kmph The Mig 29 Flies around 1.5mach speed So how it can get EW support from Kamov Helicopters and US Navy operates E2C ( 500KMPH) EA 6B (900KMPH) EA 18B around 1.5 mach even French also ..so they get EW support at different speed varies and also they had Jamming Pods like AN99 so the F18 can be assigned as a EW plane for Limited Support (Correction Needed)
So my point of view is Can MiG 29 can operate with Jamming Pods or we have other option of Jamming sources needed for Modifying the Mig to capable of Carry Jamming pods to provide EW support at the speed of Mach 1.5+

@p2prada[mention]Austin[/mention]
The Ka 27 AEW is only good for a tactical picture around the battle group. It doesn't carry the range or datalinks to make it an effective airborne coordination system.

Last edited by a moderator:

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
The Ka 27 AEW is only good for a tactical picture around the battle group. It doesn't carry the range or datalinks to make it an effective airborne coordination system.
Sir ..That's my wrong too.....Ka 27 is for ASW and Ka 31 for Airborne Early warning Indian Navy operating both of the ASW and AEW Heli's. In my view the Shipborne Radars gives entire Air Battle Support within the Ship's Range and these Ka 31 gives Battle support outside of the Ship's Range

sayareakd

Country flag
Some technical questions on things I haven't yet spotted in the photos or videos:

Apologies if these have already been discussed, but the thread is 149 pages long.
jet blast deflector

deck wash system

http://img4.**************/uploadfiles/images/2012/10/20/1020233341499.JPG

fuel points

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No idea.

pmaitra

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
1. No it does not have any jet-blast -deflectors as the jets are launched from angled position :

============================================

2. Yes, It have deck wash system :

============================================

3. Fuel ports are installed, though there are no photos we have..

Last edited by a moderator:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
How about when a Mig29 takes off from the inner yellow line? Jet blast appear to be well within the ship...

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The steel walls of the island aren't likely to melt.

True. But other jets cannot be prepared or the number of jets that can be lined up at the back in preparation for take-off will be drastically reduced while another one is taking-off at full afterburner from the inside line... This have the potentially of reducing the lunch time of the AC.

Notice how an F18 is maneuvered for take-off at the back while an F14 is taking-off in front. The distance between them is close. SO without the jet blast deflector the F18 cannot be maneuvered in place until after the F14 is able to take off:

jet blast deflector
Note further that unlike the CATOBAR carrier, the INS Vikramaditya needs a longer runway for take-off. This necessity shortens the space at the back where jets can be prepared for take-off. Now without jet blast deflectors, this already limited space at the back will be further limited by the need to maintain a wider distance between the jet that is taking-off ahead and the jet at the back.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

nishantgupta

True. But other jets cannot be prepared or the number of jets that can be lined up at the back in preparation for take-off will be drastically reduced while another one is taking-off at full afterburner from the inside line... This have the potentially of reducing the lunch time of the AC.

Notice how an F18 is maneuvered for take-off at the back while an F14 is taking-off in front. The distance between them is close. SO without the jet blast deflector the F18 cannot be maneuvered in place until after the F14 is able to take off:
Not much knowledge but my own two cents from the video posted by Kunal Biswas as well as the USN AC pic above:

• With the plane's blast pointing outwards, another plane can maneuver without having to worry about the blast. It will not take much extra time to line up once the first plane has started off on its run and there is a safe distance to come up.

• In the case of the USN launch, after the first plane has launched, an added work of the deflector being closed needs to be undertaken. Obviously that will add some precious seconds to the launch.

• Comparing the two launches, both seem to be severely limited in terms of where to face while taking off. If the Vikramaditya launches a plane from inside, the blast hits the island or maybe another plane. So is the case with a fighter launching from the US carrier.

As I said, these are just observations.... Me no expert