INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

lookieloo

How about when a Mig29 takes off from the inner yellow line? Jet blast appear to be well within the ship...
My guess is that the starboard line will seldom be used. As long as they stick with the longest run from the port position, not having deflectors won't matter; otherwise, deck operations could get a little dicey.

As an aside, does India plan on adopting Russian SOPs, or will they go with American methods like the Chinese did?

Last edited by a moderator:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
My guess is that the starboard line will seldom be used. As long as they stick with the longest run from the port position, not having deflectors won't matter; otherwise, deck operations could get a little dicey.

I don't think they have a choice there. Anyway, I think for a STOBAR AC the second takeoff line is even more important to speed up aircraft lunching. Ideally, the two takeoff lines should be used alternatively to maximize takeoff capacity, especially during combat scenarios.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
To add a little more, by the time one jet clears the deck another takes it place during the time the hot gasses will be gone ..

• With the plane's blast pointing outwards, another plane can maneuver without having to worry about the blast. It will not take much extra time to line up once the first plane has started off on its run and there is a safe distance to come up.

lookieloo

I don't think they have a choice there. Anyway, I think for a STOBAR AC the second takeoff line is even more important to speed up aircraft lunching. Ideally, the two takeoff lines should be used alternatively to maximize takeoff capacity, especially during combat scenarios.
From a previous post: You'll notice from this picture that, unlike the Kuznetsov-class, both takeoff lines appear to angle exhaust over the port-stern; and although that renders said part of the deck unavailable for parking/operations during high-intensity launches, it might not matter that much since so-few aircraft are carried anyways. The area starboard of the red, dotted line appears capable of handling at least most of the aircraft complement (given the tiny hanger). It's tight, but it can be made to work.

harshuk14

top defence advisersays "with the money spend on vikramaditya india could have brought a new heavy carrier to its fleet":frusty:

Bheeshma

The top defence advisers are smoking afghanistan's finest stuff. They should see what the piddly cavour cost without any weapons or what the QE class is going to end up at.

lookieloo

I have another question: Does anyone know the dimensions for Vikramaditya's aircraft elevators? All I can find is their weight capacity.

t_co

Probably the same Akula took ?
The reason I'm asking is because Sevmash is refitting the Vikra in Severodvinsk, and the port and the sealanes around it tend to freeze over in the winter. The advantage of the Akula is that it can go under ice. A carrier doesn't have that ability. Ergo, the path it takes actually becomes a non-trivial question, which is why I'm asking.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ice breakers leads the way..

The reason I'm asking is because Sevmash is refitting the Vikra in Severodvinsk, and the port and the sealanes around it tend to freeze over in the winter. The advantage of the Akula is that it can go under ice. A carrier doesn't have that ability. Ergo, the path it takes actually becomes a non-trivial question, which is why I'm asking.

t_co

It might not be that much of a problem. Looks like the way is mostly clear that time of year, and the White sea is a fairly important waterway for Russia; so getting an icebreaker shouldn't be a problem.

Ah, so it's transiting westward, likely through the Straits of Gibraltar and then the Suez Canal. That's all I wanted to know.

WMD

GSL designs pontoon for INS Vikramaditya
SOURCE: NAVHIND TIMES

Last in the series of five pontoons indigenously designed and being built by Goa Shipyard Ltd for the Indian Navy's prestigious aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya left GSL on February 21, more than two months ahead of delivery schedule. The pontoons are intended for mooring and berthing the 40,000 ton Aircraft Carrier INS Vikramaditya on a jetty and for providing services alongside the aircraft carrier.

Significantly, GSL had bagged the order for design and construction of the five special purpose Pontoons from Indian Navy against stiff open competition from private players and the contract for the same was signed between GSL and the Indian Navy on June 2011.

GSL has already completed delivery of four pontoons to Indian Navy ahead of schedule. Two pontoons have been delivered at Naval Dockyard, Mumbai while the balance two at Naval Base, Karwar. With receipt of the Service Barge pontoon at Mumbai, the Indian Navy would be ready to receive the prestigious Vikramaditya.

The 40 mt pontoons are non-self propelled craft designed to serve as spacers between the berthing structure and the aircraft carrier to absorb the high energy of the Aircraft carrier as she comes alongside the pier.

They have been designed to be efficiently towed at sea with a streamlined hull form. The delivery marks a small but nonetheless yet another milestone in GSL's contribution to indigenous defence preparedness at economical cost, with on time delivery and meeting the customers' qualitative requirements.

t_co

It would be interesting to see what security arrangements have been made for the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

lookieloo

Why PLAN has plans to torpedo it?
Probably not; but when the Australians had their carrier shipped (on the back of a salvage barge), they were so worried about pirates that they took it all the way around Africa instead of going through Suez. Likewise, India (not being a muzzy favorite) might opt for the same; but a ship like this under its own power probably doesn't have much to worry about, even if it's not fully crewed.