INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

Just Me

Do we have anything new on the Vikramaditya? any new Pics, vedios etc, Does any one have any new image afer she returned from sea Trials.
Kunal, the photographer who's image are generally posted in the thread, i believe he has a FB account may i have his name so i can add him...

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Do we have anything new on the Vikramaditya? any new Pics, vedios etc, Does any one have any new image afer she returned from sea Trials.
Kunal, the photographer who's image are generally posted in the thread, i believe he has a FB account may i have his name so i can add him...
you wanted to add kuloshev oleg here's the link to his profile
https://www.facebook.com/russiannavy?fref=ts

Austin

Vikramaditya to be handed over to India mid 2013 – shipbuilding company official

KALININGRAD, November 10 (Itar-Tass) —— The Vikramaditya aircraft carrier (formerly Russia's The Admiral Gorshkov) will be handed over to India in the middle of next year, the vice-president of the United Shipbuilding Corporation, Sergei Forafonov, told the media in Kaliningrad. He took part in the ceremony of the transfer to the Indian Navy of another frigate (The Tarkash), build at the Baltic shipyards Yantar.

"The negotiations with the Indian side are practically over. The Vikramaditya aircraft carrier will be handed over to the customer in the middle of 2013 after the insulation of boilers has been replaced," Forafonov said.

He recalled that the insulation of the aircraft carrier's boilers failed during sea trials. "It was not designers' mistake. The insulation materials were used at the request of the Indian side. The partners had not taken into account the factor of vibration and the hull's deformation while the ship is on the move," Forafonov said. "As a result, we have the result that we have."

Forafonov said the boilers would be covered with a different sort of insulation. The Indian partners agreed with that and put their signatures to the specifications of the new coating.

The work will be done at the Baltic shipbuilding plant, which had manufactured the boilers for the aircraft carrier.

"Next year the Vikramaditya will be fully restored and handed over to the Indian side," Forafonov said, adding that that might happen in June 2013.

average american

You all do realize that the life span of the Vikramaditya was to be 20 years and it was launched in April 17, 1982 so its already 10 years past it designed life time, that make that 12 when you get ti past its projected life time. I will have to admit it was not used much, things keep going wrong with the boilers, but even sitting in salt water more then 20 years is not going to have done it much good. Really its a 3 plus billion dollar antique. I think the Russians are calling it the Gift that keeps on Giving.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Before commenting such, show some good link where it mentioned 30 years of life span will continue after that..

pmaitra

You all do realize that the life span of the Vikramaditya was to be 20 years and it was launched in April 17, 1982 so its already 10 years past it designed life time, that make that 12 when you get ti past its projected life time. I will have to admit it was not used much, things keep going wrong with the boilers, but even sitting in salt water more then 20 years is not going to have done it much good. Really its a 3 plus billion dollar antique. I think the Russians are calling it the Gift that keeps on Giving.
Even the Mir Space Station was designed for 5 years, but stayed on for 15 years. Moreover, Vikramaditya is not only a refurbished Gorshkov, it is rebuilt and modified.

Before commenting such, show some good link where it mentioned 30 years of life span will continue after that..
He was talking about 20 years, of which 10 has passed, and 10 is left, IIUC.

natarajan

viraat was launched in 1953 and it is serving for almost 60 years and still going.So our navy is expert in maintaining aircraft carriers .So vikramaditya will be in service till
2028 or 2033

average american

viraat was launched in 1953 and it is serving for almost 60 years and still going.So our navy is expert in maintaining aircraft carriers .So vikramaditya will be in service till
2028 or 2033
I would like to point out the Viraat was built by the english,,,,not the Russians and it was operational not in storage because of boiler explosions.

Beware of the Russians bearing gifts.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

Never Mind..

pmaitra

I would like to point out the Viraat was built by the english,,,,not the Russians and it was operational not in storage because of boiler explosions.

Beware of the Russians bearing gifts.
Yes, indeed, and there was a time when British manufacturing, especially involving iron and steel, whether be it steam locomotives, or ships, was one of the best in the world.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles