INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
To date, the Indian side has agreed to restore the substrate thermal boilers with asbestos board that was used for this purpose before the boilers of this type.
I have to wonder if it is the same used in house siding.

charlyondfi

They have installed it, we will get pics soon..
Well, if those nice photos Kunal sir posted deserve credits, Russians are actually doing quite a fine job (although I still wonder they will work out all the boilers or just the failed ones). I do look forward to see this beauty asap.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
How nice, they've got a Dosa machine!

Wouldn't it have been sensible to also get capable CIWS along with it?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Afaik, according to manufactures the Ship will be ready in less than 3 months, Which will be a complete CV..

Its possible they will add CIWS..

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Gorky won't have any air defense system on its delivery. This is the first project planning flaw which CAG nailed. Kashtan will be deployed only during first scheduled Indian refit in 2017.

pmaitra

@bhramos, interesting video of the Kamov-52, but apparently it is not going to be on Vikramaditya. Perhaps you could open a new thread on that?

Last edited by a moderator:

average american

This is the second boiler failure of the Vikramaditya, the reason the Russians took Vikramaditya out of service the first time was a boiler explosion. That seems to indicate their was a design defect in the the boilers.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Try to add some credibility to posts by doing some research, rather than knee jerk reactions that are false..

Lurk and watch before posting..

This is the second boiler failure of the Vikramaditya, the reason the Russians took Vikramaditya out of service the first time was a boiler explosion. That seems to indicate their was a design defect in the the boilers.

average american

In 1994, just three years later, the ship was docked for a year of repairs after a boiler exploded. After another year of service the Russians finally put the jinxed vessel up for sale. It does not take a brain surgeon to figure out there is a design problem when a ship boiler explodes. In 1994, just three years later, the ship was docked for a year of repairs after a boiler exploded.
I expect the boilers are going to have to be replaced because the Russians would not taken their only operational carrier at that time out of service if the problems could have been corrected. India has a 3 billion dollar lemon. KVG-3D boilers have given problems on other ships.

The ship that won’t sail - Livemint

A jump jet carrier converted to having a ramp, then having to replace all ageing equipment and wireing and to be done in a facility that never worked on a carrier before?

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I suggest keep your trolling habit to only Chit Chat thread..

As for the Boiler issue, Earlier Boilers which had such incidents were KVG-4 boilers not KVG-3D boilers, And KVG-3D are used only few vessels which are new..

India has a 3 billion dollar lemon. KVG-3D boilers have given problems on other ships.

The ship that won't sail - Livemint

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles