India's Moon Exploration Program

karn

Country flag
Sometimes it feels lander/rover will wake up on 22nd September. Some things ISRO not telling us, ISRO peoples seems confident on this.
Nothing so conspiratorial, it simply means that the lander and rover have not been rated to survive the lunar night so they cannot make any guarantees.
There is no frost on the moon , so as long as no connections snap due to contraction it should be fine.
Most likely failure case IMO are the micro electronics that may get effected by the cold .

Last edited:

TopWatcher

Country flag
Nothing so conspiratorial, it simply means that the lander and rover have not been rated to survive the lunar night so they cannot make any guarantees.
There is no frost on the moon , so as long as no connections snap due to contraction it should be fine.
Most likely failure case IMO are the micro electronics that may get effected by the cold .
If comms is on than i think checking radio signals everyday tell us , lander is alive or not

omaebakabaka

Nope .. Sleep means everything is shut down . Restart will only happen if it detects power from the solar panels.
I doubt it, there may be minimal power still drawn from storage doing some minimal healthchecks or measurements but I could be wrong....

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
This is cool,future sample return experiments and human!
I'm up for it
Next time we can plan a sample return mission like China did with their Chang'e missions. That would a huge development!!
Hop experiment is for future manned moon missions.

Chandrayaan-6 will have a separate in-built launcher for sending samples to Earth.

omaebakabaka

I thought logically lander might provide better insulation during lunar night, but ..

I don't think so, this is probably not the tradeoff they would make as the risks are significant and making it more complex than its worth, good engineering is precise, minimal and simple....the temperature conditions are something that are easy to simulate and test but uncertainties in terms of any extralunar impacts even at microscale and so on are bit more challenging to model and react.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles