Indian Special Forces

FireStar

Country flag
Indian NAVY**
Army used to bring us glory back in the 70s,80s,90s,00s. Now it’s a complete circus.
Air Force does nothing but somehow manages to embarrass itself in every avenue.

NAVY is the only competent force left in the desh
please do not take any offence for what i m about to say. My uncle retired from navy(5-7years back). He was the one overseeing the ins vikramaditya project regarding material quality and inspection. He often said Navy has good thinkers while army don't have any thinkers at all. I asked him why do you say that? he said they can't even make a tank. who the hell changes parameters every 3-5 months.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
please do not take any offence for what i m about to say. My uncle retired from navy(5-7years back). He was the one overseeing the ins vikramaditya project regarding material quality and inspection. He often said Navy has good thinkers while army don't have any thinkers at all. I asked him why do you say that? he said they can't even make a tank. who the hell changes parameters every 3-5 months.
Exactly what we all talk about here navy has thinkers and execution mindset army just says chal raha he chalne do

Kumaoni

Army lost its thinkers after 2000

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Well Britain was never known for its army and airforce either in it's heydays , it was the Royal navy which maintained their power and empire.

Aspirant847

Country flag
Unpopular Opinion
Para SF men of some units are dam fine operators ....... they just lack equipment and modern skills
and a high command that actually cares about them.
that's literally the most popular opinion

Lonewarrior

Country flag
And tell me just one reason why we can't arm all of our Para SF guys to the teeth? Why downsize them.
When we already have all the funds, we already know what we need...then can't we solve a simple MBA 1st year problem of budget allocation?

> A plate carrier from Armasen Tactical - 9,000
> Two TATA NIJ III+ armour - 30,000
> High cut helmet - around 40,000
> A simple PVS-14 type mono-NVG - 3,50,000
> Armasen 35L rucksack - 6,000
> Knee-elbow pad, magazine, dump, radio, grenade pouch, gloves from Olive Planet - 7,000
> I agree sights like ELCAN or ACOG can cost almost 2lac, so let's make a holographic + magnifier set-up. Holosun HS510C - 25,000 and SIG Juliet 5 - 22,000. Total - 47,000
> A good PEQ-15 type pointer - 1,00,000+
> Proper hearing protection aid can get bit pricey so - 40,000
> If you want to add a good radio then - 3,00,000

Add everything up, it's 9,29,000. Why bother, do it 10lac. Let's assume total Para SF to equipped be 10,000.
So the final cost is 1,000 crore

For a civilian it may look huge, but from military perspective it's puny. Each year we shell out close to 1,20,000 crore on just pensions.

We are buying 31 Reaper for $3.5 billion right? Round that number to 30 and from there only you'll have more than 900 crore.
You'll lose just one UAV and gain a 10,000 strong Tier 1 operators for an one time investment.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
And tell me just one reason why we can't arm all of our Para SF guys to the teeth? Why downsize them.
When we already have all the funds, we already know what we need...then can't we solve a simple MBA 1st year problem of budget allocation?

> Knee-elbow pad, magazine, dump, radio, grenade pouch, gloves from Olive Planet - 7,000
> I agree sights like ELCAN or ACOG can cost almost 2lac, so let's make a holographic + magnifier set-up. Holosun HS510C - 25,000 and SIG Juliet 5 - 22,000. Total - 47,000

Add everything up, it's 9,29,000. Why bother, do it 10lac. Let's assume total Para SF to equipped be 10,000.

For a civilian it may look huge, but from military perspective it's puny. Each year we shell out close to 1,20,000 crore on just pensions.

We are buying 31 Reaper for $3.5 billion right? Round that number to 30 and from there only you'll have more than 900 crore.
You'll lose just one UAV and gain a 10,000 strong Tier 1 operators for an one time investment.
Just equipment wont make them tier 1, if they had the training they would already be clamouring for better equipment.

jai jaganath

Country flag

Few questions why monotube
Why knee or elbow pads if integrated then good if not no purpose
Ig u forgot battle belt and holster

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag

Or use the damn funds you have kept for useless jetpacks who have no use as of now

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Just equipment wont make them tier 1, if they had the training they would already be clamouring for better equipment.
China is sourcing ex-NATO pilots to train them how to dogfight
We as Indian have the advantage to experience allmost all kind of terrain a war can ever take place
We have state run factories to produce cheap ammo

What do you think, this lack of training is something resource related or simply because of our chalta hai attitude?

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Few questions why monotube
Why knee or elbow pads if integrated then good if not no purpose
Ig u forgot battle belt and holster
For that matter you can even go for quad-tube. Or even a thermal-IR fusion. But my point was simply to provide an estimate of even the most basic of their current needs.

Given the camouflage screw-up, I don't have much trust on integrated pads so decided to include them.

As for holster it would be hardly 2,000 bucks. I've already added a good margin while rounding for stuff like knifes, multi-tool, shoes...so it should be covered.

jai jaganath

Country flag
For that matter you can even go for quad-tube. Or even a thermal-IR fusion. But my point was simply to provide an estimate of even the most basic of their current needs.

Given the camouflage screw-up, I don't have much trust on integrated pads so decided to include them.

As for holster it would be hardly 2,000 bucks. I've already added a good margin while rounding for stuff like knifes, multi-tool, shoes...so it should be covered.
Dual tube does the work mostly u don't need quad
Even mostly every unit in wotld use dual tube
Bcoz monotube barely gives any night fighting capability and this I have personally heard too

Spadex

Country flag

Army is buying knee and elbow pads in huge numbers, yes the pads which no one wears but cost a ton. Its not just that, they are buying many things which have only PR value.

Its not the budget or money, they got plenty but they lack budget management, will to modernized (many top generals still believe in old school gold school ), shit procurement process, and most importantly knowledge of military equipment and PPEs

Give SF a seperate budget for equps. And a dedicated procurement officers, most if not regular army officers who oversees the para sf procurement hate special forces

rkhanna

Country flag
10,000 strong Tier 1 operators for an one time investment.
You started out well and then jumped to the wrong conclusion.

You need anywhere between $500K-$1.5m PER HEAD to churn out 10K worth of Tier 1 level skill. Adjusting to Indian PPP - A JSOC/SAS soldier costs on avg costs $2mm to train and equip

You need to buy ammo of roughly 300-500 rounds a week per person. you need to upgrade all training infra. you need fuel to do year vehicle based training - Fixed Wing, Rotary, Waterborne - night and day
You need to joint train regularly with AF and Navy on various different aspects, Infil/Exfil/CAS/ISR
You need to buy 3x the equipment per soldier to account for wear and tear of constant training. Batteries you need warehouse full of them to get proffecient in night ops. etc etc etc

all that cost money

If you ever get a chance ask one of our SF guys how often they jump out of a plane. Betting it wont be more than once or twice a year

Kumaoni

Dont call them operators, they are not operators.
Only 9 and 10 have any operators. Rest are just super infantry and recently converted line infantry. I really only have considered 9 10 and 21 the only para SF battalions.
China is sourcing ex-NATO pilots to train them how to dogfight
We as Indian have the advantage to experience allmost all kind of terrain a war can ever take place
We have state run factories to produce cheap ammo

What do you think, this lack of training is something resource related or simply because of our chalta hai attitude?
What advantage exactly? The commies will overrun all Indian positions in a single day. Fighting insurgents doesn’t count.

look at the strides the PLA the made in a whole decade. India is no match. Economically, militarily, etc. Look at the level of gear change the PLA has made in two years is far superior to anything the Indians have done in 21 years. Only god will be able to save India in any war situation.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles