Indian Special Forces

Lonewarrior

Country flag
You started out well and then jumped to the wrong conclusion.

You need anywhere between $500K-$1.5m PER HEAD to churn out 10K worth of Tier 1 level skill. Adjusting to Indian PPP - A JSOC/SAS soldier costs on avg costs $2mm to train and equip

You need to buy ammo of roughly 300-500 rounds a week per person. you need to upgrade all training infra. you need fuel to do year vehicle based training - Fixed Wing, Rotary, Waterborne - night and day
You need to joint train regularly with AF and Navy on various different aspects, Infil/Exfil/CAS/ISR
You need to buy 3x the equipment per soldier to account for wear and tear of constant training. Batteries you need warehouse full of them to get proffecient in night ops. etc etc etc

all that cost money

If you ever get a chance ask one of our SF guys how often they jump out of a plane. Betting it wont be more than once or twice a year
So 29 reapers it is...can't see much of an issue

abingdonboy

Country flag
View attachment 217768navy is showcasing new kit literally every month, how are they able to achieve that ? Marcos budget <<< paras
Best Indian unit by far and judging by their training infra probably the best trained as well (by some margin)

still a long way to go. Spot the desi comtac in the back, the Tavor is a unwieldy weapon(choosing it shows immaturity on their part) but that grip/stance is abysmal. And one can’t tell proficiency from pics. The last time we saw these guys doing live VBSS drills they were utterly hopeless and flagging each other left and right and stumbling all over the place

+MCP on UCP is all kinds of wrong

abingdonboy

Country flag
@COLDHEARTED AVIATOR “transgender commando battalion” might actually be a thing of the futureView attachment 217383
Go woke, get broke.

i swear this woke stuff is being pushed from CCP to undermine their rivals

third world nation not even touching 10% of developed nations GDP per capita with Western SJW ideologies is an interesting recipe for disaster

Kumaoni

Best Indian unit by far and judging by their training infra probably the best trained as well (by some margin)

still a long way to go. Spot the desi comtac in the back, the Tavor is a unwieldy weapon(choosing it shows immaturity on their part) but that grip/stance is abysmal. And one can’t tell proficiency from pics. The last time we saw these guys doing live VBSS drills they were utterly hopeless and flagging each other left and right and stumbling all over the place

+MCP on UCP is all kinds of wrong
They have less funds than para and are on par (imo) wirh contemporaries. The tactics they use are modernized as well. Keep in mind MARCOS has far less budget than paras do (IA gets hella funds).
Go woke, get broke.

i swear this woke stuff is being pushed from CCP to undermine their rivals

third world nation not even touching 10% of developed nations GDP per capita with Western SJW ideologies is an interesting recipe for disaster
Taking the worst of both worlds.

Not to mention pride of the past seems to be hot amongst the current gen of officers. It’s a recipe for disaster. God forbid we enter in any war.

abingdonboy

Country flag
They have less funds than para and are on par (imo) wirh contemporaries. The tactics they use are modernized as well. Keep in mind MARCOS has far less budget than paras do (IA gets hella funds).
MARCOs are left alone, IA HQ has run paras into the ground. SF in a Para regiment was a terrible idea

I’m barely interested in Paras anymore, they are well past redemption and will continue to fall apart. I just want the SF name to be officially removed from them so we don’t have to discuss them anymore.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I guess so ........ with the introduction of real heavier sniper rifles in IA a whole new training system would be needed as you can't train them with the SVD marksman curriculum .
I an 95% confirm that a new sniper school is up
Please, the same govt/army that will create PR drama for inducting some collapsible bridging systems won’t let these things go without at least a press release.

Stop promoting the idea of these super secret capabilities based on anonymous accounts.

Kumaoni

MARCOs are left alone, IA HQ has run paras into the ground. SF in a Para regiment was a terrible idea

I’m barely interested in Paras anymore, they are well past redemption and will continue to fall apart. I just want the SF name to be officially removed from them so we don’t have to discuss them anymore.
Disagree here.

I want them to undergo an entire restructuring process. I want only 4 para SF battalions to be real SOF (1, 10, 21, with 9 composing of the most elite soldiers only). Rest needs to be para airborne again or a super infantry/commando force.

The newly converted SOF units need to be under a centralized command which is INDEPEDENT of the IA, and only directly answerable to CDS and MoD, and their procurements must come on time.

Kumaoni

Please, the same govt/army that will create PR drama for inducting some collapsible bridging systems won’t let these things go without at least a press release.

Stop promoting the idea of these super secret capabilities based on anonymous accounts.
The secret stash theory holds 2% water.

IA has Gucci gear but it’s very very little, not enough for even a single unit.

abingdonboy

Country flag
The secret stash theory holds 2% water.

IA has Gucci gear but it’s very very little, not enough for even a single unit.
Unless the majority have it it’s meaningless. A few trail pieces bought here and there from questionable sources doesn’t have any impact and isn’t worth discussing. Every time a real world ex is carried out you see the real Indian military

Kumaoni

Unless the majority have it it’s meaningless. A few trail pieces bought here and there from questionable sources doesn’t have any impact and isn’t worth discussing. Every time a real world ex is carried out you see the real Indian military
It’s not. The proof is there though, they know what they need to equip them with, they are just too lazy. Content with the coin victories and stalemate with China. Laziness and lethargic thinking is our biggest issue.

abingdonboy

Country flag
It’s not. The proof is there though, they know what they need to equip them with, they are just too lazy. Content with the coin victories and stalemate with China. Laziness and lethargic thinking is our biggest issue.
The thing is I genuinely don’t believe they do know, the kind of specs and configurations that come out of the IA for new equipment gives the impression that they are merely LARPing. The FINSAS demos have been perfect illustrations

COIN and peace have rotted them to the core. Steel sharpens steel.

im done with these clowns after bright name tags on the front of helmets for FINSAS

abingdonboy

Country flag
Disagree here.

I want them to undergo an entire restructuring process. I want only 4 para SF battalions to be real SOF (1, 10, 21, with 9 composing of the most elite soldiers only). Rest needs to be para airborne again or a super infantry/commando force.

The newly converted SOF units need to be under a centralized command which is INDEPEDENT of the IA, and only directly answerable to CDS and MoD, and their procurements must come on time.
Like I’ve said to you before, I’m sure there’s a military fiction thread somewhere (I know BRF used to have that). Let’s keep the discussion on what can/will happen.

IA killed AFSOD/SOCOM, so your proposal is DOA even is to be entertained.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Yeah, this is why I’m not interested in Paras anymore

Reduced to bag men for pot bellied peacetime generals

stop pretending they are a credible elite unit. The men who sign up for it are being sold a fake dream, IA’s esteemed leadership is so far gone that everything they touch goes to muck

abingdonboy

Country flag
Reduce the size of Paras to that of even MARCOS, let alone SPG and then see how they'll also start getting Gucci gears from all around the world
Who told esteemed generals to create one of the largest ‘SF’ formations in the world?

even with unlimited budgets IA would struggle, they’d write a few more RFIs that’s about it

abingdonboy

Country flag
And too think we once saved Maldives from a coup.
We are jokers.
Op cactus…..

a damn fine example of the utility of a rapid response airborne infantry division (50th), since then they’ve converted the entire para regiment into ‘SF’, now neither SF nor airborne exist.

CCP- something something sun tzu quote about not getting in the way when your enemy is making mistakes

abingdonboy

Country flag
Your posts seem to imply that the army top brass is incompetent.

They are not incompetent, they are outright treacherous, prioritizing their kickbacks from xyz vendors over equipping the force well.
It is why they want "jetpacks"

Navy meanwhile aside from designing it's own ships and getting them built in India, collaborating with BEL/DRDO on stuff that they want to see built also succeeds at equipping a commando force well which isn't even their "main" department 🤡

It's ironic and sad that the two armed forces wings which are likely to see the most "action" during wartime are so under-equipped.
Yep. Give them more money and it’s just more foreign all expenses paid trips for ‘trails’ and post retirement ‘advisor’ positions for the top echelons of the officer class

I’d like to think getting rid of Cantonments is Modi’s personal FU to these jokers as it’s becoming apparent that his reform agenda on defence is utterly dead

abingdonboy

Country flag
And tell me just one reason why we can't arm all of our Para SF guys to the teeth? Why downsize them.
When we already have all the funds, we already know what we need...then can't we solve a simple MBA 1st year problem of budget allocation?

> A plate carrier from Armasen Tactical - 9,000
> Two TATA NIJ III+ armour - 30,000
> High cut helmet - around 40,000
> A simple PVS-14 type mono-NVG - 3,50,000
> Armasen 35L rucksack - 6,000
> Knee-elbow pad, magazine, dump, radio, grenade pouch, gloves from Olive Planet - 7,000
> I agree sights like ELCAN or ACOG can cost almost 2lac, so let's make a holographic + magnifier set-up. Holosun HS510C - 25,000 and SIG Juliet 5 - 22,000. Total - 47,000
> A good PEQ-15 type pointer - 1,00,000+
> Proper hearing protection aid can get bit pricey so - 40,000
> If you want to add a good radio then - 3,00,000

Add everything up, it's 9,29,000. Why bother, do it 10lac. Let's assume total Para SF to equipped be 10,000.
So the final cost is 1,000 crore

For a civilian it may look huge, but from military perspective it's puny. Each year we shell out close to 1,20,000 crore on just pensions.

We are buying 31 Reaper for $3.5 billion right? Round that number to 30 and from there only you'll have more than 900 crore.
You'll lose just one UAV and gain a 10,000 strong Tier 1 operators for an one time investment.
Give a caveman an iPhone, will he know what to do with it?

this hasn’t been about a lack of resources for a long time

The Poles should be an example for all backwards militaries what can happen when you actually embrace competence and contemporary standards.

nothing changes until the commies humiliate the Indian state so badly that it can’t be covered up or explained away

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles