Indian Special Forces

rkhanna

Country flag
MARCOS are deployed in disaster relief when there is a shortage of Qualified Personel. First will be NDRF, Navy Divers, Army Divers, Police etc etc - Then MARCOS.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
BTW a question,
@Unknowncommando 2 @Gessler @Killbot @Vishalreddy3 @ManhattanProject @rkhanna @Vorschlaghammer @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR @abingdonboy @ALBY
Say, from where shoud i start to self-learn about all the SF gears like Optics,Comms,Helmets/Vests/Backpack/Gloves-Kneepads/Shoes,Camouflage etc.
like in pursue of information on small arms i mostly have overlooked these parts as i considered them irrelevant from firearms.Now kinda left behind in all these stuffs that make a fighting force modern.
I know basics of all of them, like difference between Reddot and Holographic etc but would like to strengthen my knaalej of these things too.
Any help is appreciated :pray:

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
BTW a question,
@Unknowncommando 2 @Gessler @Killbot @Vishalreddy3 @ManhattanProject @rkhanna @Vorschlaghammer @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR @abingdonboy @ALBY
Say, from where shoud i start to self-learn about all the SF gears like Optics,Comms,Helmets/Vests/Backpack/Gloves-Kneepads/Shoes,Camouflage etc.
like in pursue of information on small arms i mostly have overlooked these parts as i considered them irrelevant from firearms.Now kinda left behind in all these stuffs that make a fighting force modern.
I know basics of all of them, like difference between Reddot and Holographic etc but would like to strengthen my knaalej of these things too.
For comtacs

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
BTW a question,
Best channel for camouflage and its study.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
BTW a question,
Basics of helmet

rkhanna

Country flag
BTW a question,
Sofrep.com - you get 3 articles a month free but if you use a VPN you can work around that.

Alternatively subscribe

Also to understand SOF kit and evolution of such I would recommend reading the following books.

1) inside delta force 2) relentless strike

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Sofrep.com - you get 3 articles a month free but if you use a VPN you can work around that.

Alternatively subscribe

Also to understand SOF kit and evolution of such I would recommend reading the following books.

1) inside delta force 2) relentless strike
These are the books, you can download them for free through Ebooks
Screenshot_20210208_115520.jpg

Screenshot_20210208_115538.jpg

Gessler

Country flag
BTW a question,
Youtube can be a treasure trove of knowledge, but you should learn to sift through tons of fanboy content to find the properly-made, knowledgeable content from ex-SOF members. Some good channels to follow:

GarandThumb (good for providing primers on most basics)
Vickers Tactical (Detailed dives into weapon systems and their history. follow Larry Vickers in general, he shows up on other channels too.)
T.REX ARMS (besides guns, has nice in-depth info regarding a lot of non-firearm kit like radios, tactical software, night vision etc. as well)
Tactical Rifleman
InRange TV

...to name just a few.

As of books, rkhanna has suggested some excellent examples. To that, I would add some more:

Weapons of the US Special Operations Command by Chris McNab
No Easy Day by Mark Owen (aka Matt Bissonnette) - nice insight into DEVGRU, though deals more with structure & organization rather than kit itself)

Speaking of organizational insight -

Killer Elite by Michael Smith - greatest insight into the rationale behind having dedicated signals/Intelligence units attached to SOF/SOCOM. Even the first chapter itself provides immense perspective.
Special Operations Case Studies by our own Lt. Gen. Prakash Katoch (Retd.) who also highlights the shortcomings in Indian SOF, and how AFSOD and its supporting elements need to be. For a truly insightful experience, I'd recommend reading these 2 books back to back. Gen. Katoch also has several other great books to his name.

Websites, again like rkhanna said SOFREP is a great place to start. But I'd also recommend likes of Soldiersystems.net, which is a site more thoroughly focused on equipment, and also more populated than SOFREP. But the kind of insights into SOCOM that SOFREP provides cannot quite be replicated.

In terms of entertainment media, I'd definitely recommend likes of SEAL Team on CBS and SIX on History. They're not equipment-focused shows at all, they are simple story-focused Primetime dramas, but with high degrees of realism and can serve as nice eye-candy for those that love equipment. Personally I took them as an exercise to sharpen by kit-recognition skills.

View attachment 77421

Never knew Para Airborne has EXFIL helmets too.

P.S. would love the picture without caption.
They're not EXFIL, just a ACH/MICH with rails.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
:yo: Thank you very much to all dear members who helped me out with my questions,

i shall refer to all text materials suggested by @Vishalreddy3 and refer to various videos/websites/online journals suggested by @rkhanna and especially Parthu bhai @Gessler your post is just jackpot,as always!
Hope someday i will be able to clear this big backlog and able to interpret various SF stuff with proper understanding.

Gessler

Country flag
:yo: Thank you very much to all dear members who helped me out with my questions,

i shall refer to all text materials suggested by @Vishalreddy3 and refer to various videos/websites/online journals suggested by @rkhanna and especially Parthu bhai @Gessler your post is just jackpot,as always!
Hope someday i will be able to clear this big backlog and able to interpret various SF stuff with proper understanding.
I would make one more addition wrt books about Small-unit tactics, composition, kit & maneuvers:

I'd recommend the Kindle version. It's a nice tool & reference guide to many things tactical. For example, what knee to go down on when shooting around a right corner. Especially useful for an aspiring fiction writer.

Also, I'd suggest Pro's Guide to CQB series of videos by UF PRO on Youtube. Brilliant stuff compressed into a few 'lessons' with excellent camerawork & editing, and of course a great instructor.

Here's the Playlist:

Vishalreddy3

Country flag

rkhanna

Country flag
I would make one more addition wrt books about Small-unit tactics, composition, kit & maneuvers:

I'd recommend the Kindle version. It's a nice tool & reference guide to many things tactical. For example, what knee to go down on when shooting around a right corner. Especially useful for an aspiring fiction writer.

Also, I'd suggest Pro's Guide to CQB series of videos by UF PRO on Youtube. Brilliant stuff compressed into a few 'lessons' with excellent camerawork & editing, and of course a great instructor.

Here's the Playlist:

Inthe UK Pro video posted above. Pay attention to muzzle discipline along wjth the tactics. See how small a door can become when 2 people need to fit through at the same time. The butt goes either under the armpit or over the sholder. Or muzzle goes up. Can't do that with Tavor with ease and fluidity

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles