Indian Special Forces

Gessler

Country flag
So this is how I see the NSG's weapons complex shaping up. About 90% of this are things that are already happening/have happened. Remaining 10% are either plausible avenues of approach, or purely my preferences.

I'm only going over the weapons & variants of said weapons that are/ought to be in large scale issue with a counter-terrorism requirement in mind so will not bother about items used in small numbers, or in special use-cases for VIP protection, or those used only for non-operational weapon familiarization purposes.

20181004_095153.jpg

The go-to sidearm issued to all NSG personnel including SAG and SRG operatives continues to be the ubiquitous third-generation Glock 19 in 9x19mm. There isn't any pressing need to replace this so in all likelihood it will continue to serve for the next decade. Though I would prefer for the organization to allow for more individual preference in the sidearm department. As the drawing of the sidearm is indicative of either something haven gone wrong with the shooter's primary weapon system, or otherwise in a situation requiring quick transition to the sidearm like running out of ammo on the primary - user comfort is a key aspect in speed of carrying out this transition and while highly regarded, not every shooter would prefer a Glock if given the choice.

0222201732a2-scaled.jpg

The Franchi SPAS-15 remains the only 12-gauge auto-shotgun used very routinely by NSG personnel as of today in a variety of roles ranging from occasional CQC to door-breaching, but primarily the latter. I would prefer for this rather bulky, heavy weapon to be supplanted by something along the lines of the Benelli M4 tactical auto-loading shotgun. The M4 (also known by it's US military name M1014) is a sleeker, lighter, more modern 12ga weapon that should significantly enhance the utility of this class of gun thanks to adjustable stock length, Picatinny rail interface, more choice for muzzle attachments, and the adoration of many like-minded CT units across the world today.

ARI.235-7.jpg

The usage of sub machine guns of the MP-5 family in the 9x19 calibre remains pre-eminent among NSG operators in Hostage Intervention Teams (HITs) and far beyond. While I would prefer for a sea-change toward short barrel carbines in 5.56x45mm using a variety of ammunition loads (steel core FMJ, JHP, Subsonic, etc) that can both reduce penetration power in Hostage situations while maintaining a higher degree of effectiveness against aggressive hostiles with body armour, it doesn't appear the NSG has any intention toward the same. In the meantime I believe they are well served by their choice of adopting
the SIG Sauer MPX carbine. It's my belief and hope that multiple variants & configurations of the MPX should fully replace ALL existing MP-5s including the widely used MP-5A5, suppressed MP-5SD and short MP-5K. The SIG MPX offers variants that can supplant all of these weapons in their respective roles.

The greater utility with regard to customization & the simpler operation of loading/reloading provide an overall improvement in usability over the MP-5 in most uses cases.

The MPX was trialed alongside another American-made SMG, the KRISS Vector by the NSG and going by the prevalence of MPX and the relative absence of Vector in image streams over the last year seem to indicate the NSG has found their favourite among the two.

FN-SCAR-L-CQC-Noir-6-1280x800.jpg

While I would very much prefer an AR-15 derivative rifle carbine to be the replacement for NSG's existing stocks of SIG/Swiss Arms SG-552/553 assault rifles in 5.56x45mm, the primary rifle for their assaulters, I have to say the NSG does not seem to be moving toward that at all. There does appear to be however a marked interest in the FN SCAR-L (aka Mk.16) rifle. Which, while not as much as a piston-driven AR-15, still provides a degree of user-customizability and ease of operation that's simply not possible with the existing SG-552/553 family. And objectively I would still prefer a SCAR over a bullpup platform like X-95 for NSG. Not much visible progress on this front though, compared to MPX. The SCAR-L much like the Swiss rifle's LB/SB variants, comes in various barrel lengths to accommodate all requirements. A 14" standard barrel and a 10" CQC barrel, along with an 18" long barrel cover most needs.

6de235f9cf923f65e6a2a6a018a71965.jpg

In times past (including 26/11 days) the NSG used the SG-550's Sniper variant (aka 550-1) as a marksman/sniper support platform. The 550-1 was basically an accurized 550 with a longer barrel and provision for a bipod & telescopic sight. The rifle, while a quality platform in its own right, suffered from typical 5.56 limitations over long(er) ranges with regards to penetration, accuracy & stopping power drop-off over a larger distance. Recently NSG has adopted the SIG 716G2 DMR platform, a modern AR-10 based short-stroke piston design in the more powerful 7.62x51mm calibre. A huge improvement in terms of both utility & firepower in a marksmanship role. The 716G2 should fully replace the 550-1, whose usage has already dropped off significantly in recent times. The 716G2 ought to bring to the NSG the ability to lay down accurate fire over long ranges, without compromising on the stopping power OR the ability to send quick follow-up shots. Earlier it was either one or the other.

maxresdefault.jpg

While a sniper weapon system in the more manageable 7.62x51 calibre like the PSG-1 (some upgraded to PSG-1A1 by NSG) or a modern analogue of it would probably be more suitable for the needs of what is primarily an urban-centered intervention force, the fairly recent adoption of a bolt-action .338 Lapua Magnum platform like the Barrett Model 98B seems to indicate an intention on the part of NSG to pursue a more serious long-range sniper capability where it is needed. No wonder then that this is the more interesting (to me at least) category when talking sniping systems. The 98B (and in future batches its successor the MRAD which I believe has replaced the former in Barrett's catalogue) is likely to play an increasingly important role among NSG's snipers. It's a brilliant platform that offers all the comforts & options a modern-day sniper could ask for.

Negev-NG5-LMG-with-Drum-e1576610504597.jpg

While rarely seen and perhaps even rarely used, the NSG does maintain an arsenal of machine guns capable of sustained, suppressive fire on targets. One of those used currently is the IWI Negev NG-5, a squad automatic weapon in 5.56x45. Though I don't think what they use is the NG-5 SF variant with the shorter barrel and perhaps more useful in NSG's case. A great platform, now with the potential for local manufacturing thanks to PLRS, that offers some unique traits like the inclusion of a semi-auto mode of fire make it a weapon that doesn't require much change in the foreseeable future.

FN-MINIMI-762-Mk3-Tactical-1-1280x800.jpg

An even more rarely used platform is the FN Minimi 7.62TR in 7.62x51mm...while broadly similar, I'd say NSG might be better served by buying into the Mk.48 Mod 1 version of this platform - which is incidentally also being adopted by the Army's Para SF battalions. If not the more recent Minimi 7.62 Mk.3, further enhancing customizability.​

Members are welcome to add, criticize or otherwise comment.

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
So this is how I see the NSG's weapons complex shaping up. About 90% of this are things that are already happening/have happened. Remaining 10% are either plausible avenues of approach, or purely my preferences.

I'm only going over the weapons & variants of said weapons that are/ought to be in large scale issue with a counter-terrorism requirement in mind so will not bother about items used in small numbers, or in special use-cases for VIP protection, or those used only for non-operational weapon familiarization purposes.

View attachment 71045

The go-to sidearm issued to all NSG personnel including SAG and SRG operatives continues to be the ubiquitous third-generation Glock 19 in 9x19mm. There isn't any pressing need to replace this so in all likelihood it will continue to serve for the next decade. Though I would prefer for the organization to allow for more individual preference in the sidearm department. As the drawing of the sidearm is indicative of either something haven gone wrong with the shooter's primary weapon system, or otherwise in a situation requiring quick transition to the sidearm like running out of ammo on the primary - user comfort is a key aspect in speed of carrying out this transition and while highly regarded, not every shooter would prefer a Glock if given the choice.

View attachment 71046

The Franchi SPAS-15 remains the only 12-gauge auto-shotgun used very routinely by NSG personnel as of today in a variety of roles ranging from occasional CQC to door-breaching, but primarily the latter. I would prefer for this rather bulky, heavy weapon to be supplanted by something along the lines of the Benelli M4 tactical auto-loading shotgun. The M4 (also known by it's US military name M1014) is a sleeker, lighter, more modern 12ga weapon that should significantly enhance the utility of this class of gun thanks to adjustable stock length, Picatinny rail interface, more choice for muzzle attachments, and the adoration of many like-minded CT units across the world today.

View attachment 71047

The usage of sub machine guns of the MP-5 family in the 9x19 calibre remains pre-eminent among NSG operators in Hostage Intervention Teams (HITs) and far beyond. While I would prefer for a sea-change toward short barrel carbines in 5.56x45mm using a variety of ammunition loads (steel core FMJ, JHP, Subsonic, etc) that can both reduce penetration power in Hostage situations while maintaining a higher degree of effectiveness against aggressive hostiles with body armour, it doesn't appear the NSG has any intention toward the same. In the meantime I believe they are well served by their choice of adopting
the SIG Sauer MPX carbine. It's my belief and hope that multiple variants & configurations of the MPX should fully replace ALL existing MP-5s including the widely used MP-5A5, suppressed MP-5SD and short MP-5K. The SIG MPX offers variants that can supplant all of these weapons in their respective roles.

The greater utility with regard to customization & the simpler operation of loading/reloading provide an overall improvement in usability over the MP-5 in most uses cases.

The MPX was trialed alongside another American-made SMG, the KRISS Vector by the NSG and going by the prevalence of MPX and the relative absence of Vector in image streams over the last year seem to indicate the NSG has found their favourite among the two.

View attachment 71048

While I would very much prefer an AR-15 derivative rifle carbine to be the replacement for NSG's existing stocks of SIG/Swiss Arms SG-552/553 assault rifles in 5.56x45mm, the primary rifle for their assaulters, I have to say the NSG does not seem to be moving toward that at all. There does appear to be however a marked interest in the FN SCAR-L (aka Mk.16) rifle. Which, while not as much as a piston-driven AR-15, still provides a degree of user-customizability and ease of operation that's simply not possible with the existing SG-552/553 family. And objectively I would still prefer a SCAR over a bullpup platform like X-95 for NSG. Not much visible progress on this front though, compared to MPX. The SCAR-L much like the Swiss rifle's LB/SB variants, comes in various barrel lengths to accommodate all requirements. A 14" standard barrel and a 10" CQC barrel, along with an 18" long barrel cover most needs.

View attachment 71049

In times past (including 26/11 days) the NSG used the SG-550's Sniper variant (aka 550-1) as a marksman/sniper support platform. The 550-1 was basically an accurized 550 with a longer barrel and provision for a bipod & telescopic sight. The rifle, while a quality platform in its own right, suffered from typical 5.56 limitations over long(er) ranges with regards to penetration, accuracy & stopping power drop-off over a larger distance. Recently NSG has adopted the SIG 716G2 DMR platform, a modern AR-10 based short-stroke piston design in the more powerful 7.62x51mm calibre. A huge improvement in terms of both utility & firepower in a marksmanship role. The 716G2 should fully replace the 550-1, whose usage has already dropped off significantly in recent times. The 716G2 ought to bring to the NSG the ability law down accurate fire over long ranges, without compromising on the stopping power OR the ability to send quick follow-up shots. Earlier it was either one or the other.

View attachment 71050

While a sniper weapon system in the more manageable 7.62x51 calibre like the PSG-1 (some upgraded to PSG-1A1 by NSG) or a modern analogue of it would probably be more suitable for the needs of what is primarily an urban-centered intervention force, the fairly recent adoption of a bolt-action .338 Lapua Magnum platform like the Barrett Model 98B seems to indicate an intention on the part of NSG to pursue a more serious long-range sniper capability where it is needed. No wonder then that this is the more interesting (to me at least) category when talking sniping systems. The 98B (and in future batches its successor the MRAD which I believe has replaced the former in Barrett's catalogue) is likely to play an increasingly important role among NSG's snipers. It's a brilliant platform that offers all the comforts & options a modern-day sniper could ask for.

View attachment 71051

While rarely seen and perhaps even rarely used, the NSG does maintain an arsenal of machine guns capable of sustained, suppressive fire on targets. One of those used currently is the IWI Negev NG-5, a squad automatic weapon in 5.56x45. Though I don't think what they use is the NG-5 SF variant with the shorter barrel and perhaps more useful in NSG's case. A great platform, now with the potential for local manufacturing thanks to PLRS, that offers some unique traits like the inclusion of a semi-auto mode of fire make it a weapon that doesn't require much change in the foreseeable future.

View attachment 71052

An even more rarely used platform is the FN Minimi 7.62TR in 7.62x51mm...while broadly similar, I'd say NSG might be better served by buying into the Mk.48 Mod 1 version of this platform - which is incidentally also being adopted by the Army's Para SF battalions. If not the more recent Minimi 7.62 Mk.3, further enhancing customizability.​

Members are welcome to add, criticize or otherwise comment.
Pretty comprehensive, nice job @Gessler

Only thing I would say is check out the NSG’s 2020 tenders. They are shopping for another few 1000 MP-5A5s so I don’t think the MPX is coming as a 1-1 replacement anytime soon, I’m even surprised that they mix MPXs and MP-5s as standard issues, I’d have thought the MPX would remain in the armoury and that’s what might happen when the latest batches of MP-5s roll in.

Personally I’m more interested to see what customisations and accessories go on the small arms of NSG now as this ha clearly an area they are improving on. Sights and lights are pretty much standard issue now, they will need to standardise IR illuminators as their night fighting abilities improve and I’m sure the hubs will play around with accessories of their own.

still feel like I’m banging my head against the wall but the SMG in any form is just such an outdated primary weapon, NSG for such an innovative unit is strangely wedded to this concept and the fact that they are re-capitalising their SMG/MP-5 inventory demonstrates it’s not a resource limitation but a doctrinal one and it’s weird that they haven’t shifted from it considering they are easily the unit in India that interacts with western units the most

Gessler

Country flag
To be honest small arms are great and all but frankly the real items missing from pretty much ALL of the Indian SOF community is robust comms equipment, namely: Comtacs. This is a very important piece of equipment that everyone seems to gloss over. Comtacs headsets give an operator definite ear protection from gunfire which is a real cause of concern while also amplifying soft sounds like footsteps and most importantly allow clear, hands free communication amongst all members which is absolutely crucial for small team tactics where adaptability and fast decision making are far more necessary. An AK without optics etc but under trained operators can still wreck havoc, but a team that has to go through hoops and bounds just to communicate (being forced to use a hand even in firefights for proper communication when stuck with radios as is the case) is far more consequential.
Second thing that we need are AN/PEQ-15s, not PEQ-2s as they're bulky and outdated and very low in numbers. lasers can make a world of difference, especially in target designation and even in communication without talking to others.
Third, we also need to acquire and standardize 3rd gen BNVD for our SOF community. No more of this monocular shit that we have going on so much. Monocular NVG have a terrible field of view (40!!) and cause severe eye strain. In fact BNVD should be the absolute lowest we should go and some units should even have access to BNVD-P from tonbo depending on their mission profile. NVGs can make a world of difference in a gunfight and are a major advantage to have, this isn't something to play cheap with.
fourth is specialized equipment. This is a broad topic but I think most people get the idea here. There are entire mission profiles that are dependent on specialized equipment alone (JTAC personnel for TAC need the requisite gear to do their job, and they can make a massive influence on the tactical front). This one I believe takes the cake for the most important acquisitions that are pending.
Everything else has to do with the detachment of the Para SF as I said before and the command structure.

Oh and side note. I hope the SF keeps an eye on the new cover utilisation tactics being applied very recently (Not c-clamp, that's old enough) like the new technique to peek cover from the top where instead of exposing your entire upper torso to get your gun above cover and on target, you instead slant your gun 90 degrees inwards, line up your sight, and peek while only exposing your head for the most part. This works because guns have very little side-profile, requiring less exposure to line up shots.
Yes have listed these needs multiple times in the old SF thread.

Killbot

Country flag
I wonder why they picked the squared one...
Also, anyone noticed that the buttstock is actually bent??
It is a Pm Md.90 stock, that is how it is supposed to be.
At last, a proper modern plate carrier, Indian-made, in operational use :clap2:

Can't wait till these (or equivalents) are standardized across military SOF, NSG and state police units.
NSG already seems to be using some of these.. A different, and better, cut of the same SF RIG..
👇
The guys on the extreme right and left also seem to be using Armasen Tactical playe carriers..

View attachment 71061
Also, those are the best mag pouches I've seen in Indian service.

Gessler

Country flag
It is a Pm Md.90 stock, that is how it is supposed to be.

NSG already seems to be using some of these.. A different, and better, cut of the same SF RIG..
👇
No, this pic preceded Armasen's emergence. Its several years old to the best of my knowledge.

Gessler

Country flag
Here, same image shared on this forum almost 2 years ago to the day. Armasen wasn't around back then so couldn't have been them. Probably one of the various foreign PCs imported in small quantities.

Articles