Indian Special Forces

MuzzleVelocity

NDS Special Forces? IA soldiers have deserted during the Kargil War and all other wars for that matter. US army soldiers have deserted. It happens in a large organisation, especially during conflicts.
Ffs not solitary desertions. There are entire posts, provinces, and footholds being lost. Nearly all provincial capitals as we shit talk here have been surrounded by Taliban. Many of which have been because of ANA units dropping arms,others losing.

Edit: Yeah the earlier comment was slightly flippant, I agree. I'll take it back. That said, Afghan Special forces are on the receiving end too, to some extent.

MuzzleVelocity

I hope people here are aware of what's happening in Afghanistan? 100+ districts are under the direct control of Taliban, former outposts and bases have been taken over, with Taliban getting their hands on American small arms, armour, vehicles. They have positioned themselves on the outskirts of themselves of provincial capitals. American troops are just 3500 in number, and plan on withdrawing in September.

Afghanistan could fall in the next 3-4 months.

So yeah, pardon me if I don't give a fuck about how aesthetic/battle hardened Afghan spec ops are. They might be, but things are mad tough right now.

Gessler

Country flag
On this note, I'd like to point out the tremendous efforts & investment some Western units put in to extending the longevity of an operator, approaching 30 years of service in a highly demanding Tier-1 role. That includes physical, psychological & physiological programs to support them.

Because once you enter a highly specialized niche, the focus should be on developing that skill over a lifetime of service. So that when a new operator is recruited into the ranks of the unit, they are learning from & working alongside seasoned professionals who've been doing what they're doing for over a decade...not freshly deputed guys who're still figuring out how things work in the new job.

This 2 to 5-year deputation nonsense is going to be the bane of any Indian unit that seeks to deviate from the traditional 'Commando battalion' structure & role. This has potential to make SF guys treat these deputations as nothing but a means to add another notch on their belts before going back to their Paltan. The notion that these highly specialized roles are some temporary vocational course is being reinforced and that's bad in my opinion.

What's worse is that it seems AFSOD too will be recruiting on basis of temporary deputation from the SF units...only difference is that unlike other units they'll be deputing operators from all three services.

Units like NSG & AFSOD deserve (and need) to have permanent cadres.

rkhanna

Country flag
On this note, I'd like to point out the tremendous efforts & investment some Western units put in to extending the longevity of an operator, approaching 30 years of service in a highly demanding Tier-1 role. That includes physical, psychological & physiological programs to support them.

Because once you enter a highly specialized niche, the focus should be on developing that skill over a lifetime of service. So that when a new operator is recruited into the ranks of the unit, they are learning from & working alongside seasoned professionals who've been doing what they're doing for over a decade...not freshly deputed guys who're still figuring out how things work in the new job.

This 2 to 5-year deputation nonsense is going to be the bane of any Indian unit that seeks to deviate from the traditional 'Commando battalion' structure & role. This has potential to make SF guys treat these deputations as nothing but a means to add another notch on their belts before going back to their Paltan. The notion that these highly specialized roles are some temporary vocational course is being reinforced and that's bad in my opinion.

What's worse is that it seems AFSOD too will be recruiting on basis of temporary deputation from the SF units...only difference is that unlike other units they'll be deputing operators from all three services.

Units like NSG & AFSOD deserve (and need) to have permanent cadres.
+100
What I have been saying from day 1. No permanent cadre no unit memory

Global Defence

Articles