Indian Special Forces

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFO
I was reading Bharat Karnad's famous book Why India is not a great power (yet).

In that, he said, Pakistan army thinks that 60-70% of their nuclear weapons could be destroyed by 'joint special forces action by India, US, and Israel, and other means', in case of hostilities.

Just in case anyone is interested in this.
Yes, Pak army always prepares for the worst, good for them to prepare but I don’t think our SF have the capability, we don’t even have binods. Porkies have.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFO

In that, he said, Pakistan army thinks that 60-70% of their nuclear weapons could be destroyed by 'joint special forces action by India, US, and Israel, and other means', in case of hostilities.

India alone cannot destroy any nuclear weapons pakistan has and i am not even considering SF for this job.

If US has to be involved i dont think they need weapons to disarm Pakistan.Pakis are so corruption you need to only pay a few important people there in billions and Pak will disarm peacefully.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
India alone cannot destroy any nuclear weapons pakistan has and i am not even considering SF for this job.

If US has to be involved i dont think they need weapons to disarm Pakistan.Pakis are so corruption you need to only pay a few important people there in billions and Pak will disarm peacefully.
India will not most likely use SF.we would be in all means using airstrikes or in nuclear war nukes to destroy porky nuclear missile sites.

AZTEC

Country flag
IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFO

Here is photo proof. Just in case someone doubts.
foto_no_exif.jpg

Scramjet

Country flag
Bangladeshis use DTNVG
Pakis use some chinese ones.
DTNVGs have similiar FOV to AN/PVS14 (40°±2°)
DTNVGs are gen 3 (l3harris filmed green phosphor and 4g unfilmed photonis white phosphor)
AN/PVS14s are gen3+ and gen3 (ESA-NV F9415YH tubes with thin filmed green phosphor l3harris and 4g photonis white phosphor) and are lighter than DTNVG(former being 350 g and latter being 800g)
Both are autogated.
Also the price difference is huge

Pros of DTNVG over AN/PVS14s :
1.dual tubes, hence better depth preception
2.better ingress protection, hence longer underwater durability (6+ feet)

Rest everything is almost same
Incase MoD considers buying a dedicated dual tube unit, it should be pvs 15, pvs 23 or our very own BNVD by tonbo

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
DTNVGs have similiar FOV to AN/PVS14 (40°±2°)
DTNVGs are gen 3 (l3harris filmed green phosphor and 4g unfilmed photonis white phosphor)
AN/PVS14s are gen3+ and gen3 (ESA-NV F9415YH tubes with thin filmed green phosphor l3harris and 4g photonis white phosphor) and are lighter than DTNVG(former being 350 g and latter being 800g)
Both are autogated.
Also the price difference is huge

Pros of DTNVG over AN/PVS14s :
1.dual tubes, hence better depth preception
2.better ingress protection, hence longer underwater durability (6+ feet)

Rest everything is almost same
Incase MoD considers buying a dedicated dual tube unit, it should be pvs 15, pvs 23 or our very own BNVD by tonbo
Wet dream

Scramjet

Country flag
Yes, Pak army always prepares for the worst, good for them to prepare but I don’t think our SF have the capability, we don’t even have binods. Porkies have.
Our SF lacks the structure to support operations like these, idk how do binods matter in such situations 😂 ?

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Our SF lacks the structure to support operations like these, idk how do binods matter in such situations 😂 ?
It does not matter because you will obviously storm a “nuclear warhead facility” in open daylight, oh wait…

Gessler

Country flag
Instead of RAN network cant the data be sent using Military satellites since we already have the know how in that field.
Sure, but we have problems there too.

Firstly, we have severely limited number of satellites (of any kind, including civilian). Believe it or not, the UK with no independent launch capability of its own has more satellites currently in orbit than we do.

We have a grand total of 1 geostationary satellite providing services to the whole Indian Navy, and that's not even a High-Throughput sat (HTS) and one has to wonder the bandwidth limitations for how many concurrent transmit/receive requests it can fulfill. The GSAT intended for Army lost contact and far as I can recall, no replacement has been launched yet.

Not to mention sats in GSO can be limited by line-of-sight due to being fixed point in sky and can be restricted due to terrain & high mountains (provided one is using some form of satphone terminal type device).

What we need in order to ensure unimpeded secure satellite-based high bandwidth two-way communication for troops on the group would ultimately have to be our own version of something like Starlink in Low Earth Orbit, owned & operated by the newly formed Defence Space Agency (DSA).

Currently, if you want large-scale guaranteed secure comm without breaking the bank, its far cheaper to just run a RAN network, with only a few SATCOM uplinks somewhere in the loop.

If we could have transmitted live feed in SS i am sure we could also find a way to send data.
I've heard of this, but have no idea how secure or repeatable it was (or what they were using), or if they were lugging around some form of manportable SATCOM terminal - and if so then what satellite they were communicating with (Indian or foreign, military or piggybacking on civilian) and how secure that was from eavesdropping.

This is the problem with Indian SF setup that except having a commando unit there is no support unit available to take care of other stuff.

We have no investment in future programs.
True.

For the simplest look at how these support units work one can see the units that UKSF is comprised of:

Namely:

Anyway the JTAC course shouldnt be difficult aswell you need to basically know english terminologies which are radio terminologies then you need a radio which will be on the same frequency as the aircraft.(i being a qualified civil atc am assuming this )

Now the problem is i doubt in the Indian system if a non officer can do it.And if you commit an officer to it you are basically commiting the team leader in that role.(or maybe use someone from Airborne Signal unit)
I have to assume a large part of why these courses aren't conducted is the typical turf war mentality among the brass of the various services. Unfortunately I don't see much improving until & unless we have theaterization of the forces across the board, and the new C&C regimens become mandated by law.

Last edited:

Aditya Roy

Country flag
IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFO

If anything we should have taken them out in the late 70s when their nuclear program was at the nascent stage. They started their nuclear adventure in 1972 only, after the Simla Agreement. While we were too busy celebrating the momentary 'victory'.
In 1999 too Special Group was preparing to take out their bases in Kahuta, a plan that never happened. But can we do it now conventionally? Probably not. But there are always other 'special' options.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
If anything we should have taken them out in the late 70s when their nuclear program was at the nascent stage. They started their nuclear adventure in 1972 only, after the Simla Agreement. While we were too busy celebrating the momentary 'victory'.
In 1999 too Special Group was preparing to take out their bases in Kahuta, a plan that never happened. But can we do it now conventionally? Probably not. But there are always other 'special' options.
We have an oppurtunity after 1982 when the Israelis had proposed a joint air strike on Kahuta plant but India chickened out at the last minute.

However, even if the operation was allowed and succeded, that would not hamper Paki nuclear programme. Pakis would still have gotten ready made low yield nuclear warheads from China for free.

Marliii

Country flag
We have an oppurtunity after 1982 when the Israelis had proposed a joint air strike on Kahuta plant but India chickened out at the last minute.

However, even if the operation was allowed and succeded, that would not hamper Paki nuclear programme. Pakis would still have gotten ready made low yield nuclear warheads from China for free.
There was even an suicidal SG raid planned during kargil war.

Marliii

Country flag

Global Defence

Articles