- Sep 15, 2009
Very well said."Myanmar" Firstly thank you, many folks just called any armed group a terrorist and not insurgency or rebels.
The insurgency in the NE is very complex and in the last 10 years it has gone down a lot, but it is there. Just my 50 paisa views.
1) The insurgency here mostly based on their ethnic background and their agenda can differ a lot from fighting for better autonomy to sovereignty.
2) Most of the large groups are in talks with the center or SOO(Suspension of operation) and they are in their designated camps hence violence has come down.
3) Most strike which is quite mild can be said like mafia-style attack are mostly done by splinter group who want their piece of the pie and or just 10-15 members small group.
4) Gun here is quite different from JK, AK may be common but with Myanmar and Thailand, there are quite sophisticated small arms. Also, geography and Topography are a gold mine for SF operative, from Hot humid to muddy and inaccessible area, truly a big playground for "Jungle warfare" and low-intensity warfare.
5) Most armed group has some nexus with smuggler and drug smuggler, it is like India own Narcos, hence they seldom attack military or police as they don't want action from them and disrupt their cash flow.
6) Most NE state doesn't have very active insurgency, but it there and can be problematic, I feel army should be replaced by CAPF as Army is meant for fighting and CAPF for maintaining peace.
7) Attack on Myanmar to make the record straight will have serious problem in long run, Myanmar is a very cunning country who know it is being coyed by Indian and Chinese and will keep these proxies active in some way to have some negotiation power.
8) Once AFPSA is removed from the region, there are high chances people who favor insurgency will go down as people see AFPSA as suppression, I believe it should stay but not in the whole state, but in remote area line border area like no man land, so the army can have some jurisdiction to engage intruder without legal problems.
9) Most armed group will remain but the government will keep in such a way that the status quo is maintained and peace prevail, means some under the table deals.
10) One of the root causes of the problem in NE is the acceptance of mongoloid feature people as compared to the rest of India Indian. There is always an apprehension that their culture and diversity might vanish if not protected.
Just my views being a person from the NE.