Indian Special Forces

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
"Myanmar" Firstly thank you, many folks just called any armed group a terrorist and not insurgency or rebels.
The insurgency in the NE is very complex and in the last 10 years it has gone down a lot, but it is there. Just my 50 paisa views.
1) The insurgency here mostly based on their ethnic background and their agenda can differ a lot from fighting for better autonomy to sovereignty.
2) Most of the large groups are in talks with the center or SOO(Suspension of operation) and they are in their designated camps hence violence has come down.
3) Most strike which is quite mild can be said like mafia-style attack are mostly done by splinter group who want their piece of the pie and or just 10-15 members small group.
4) Gun here is quite different from JK, AK may be common but with Myanmar and Thailand, there are quite sophisticated small arms. Also, geography and Topography are a gold mine for SF operative, from Hot humid to muddy and inaccessible area, truly a big playground for "Jungle warfare" and low-intensity warfare.
5) Most armed group has some nexus with smuggler and drug smuggler, it is like India own Narcos, hence they seldom attack military or police as they don't want action from them and disrupt their cash flow.
6) Most NE state doesn't have very active insurgency, but it there and can be problematic, I feel army should be replaced by CAPF as Army is meant for fighting and CAPF for maintaining peace.
7) Attack on Myanmar to make the record straight will have serious problem in long run, Myanmar is a very cunning country who know it is being coyed by Indian and Chinese and will keep these proxies active in some way to have some negotiation power.
8) Once AFPSA is removed from the region, there are high chances people who favor insurgency will go down as people see AFPSA as suppression, I believe it should stay but not in the whole state, but in remote area line border area like no man land, so the army can have some jurisdiction to engage intruder without legal problems.
9) Most armed group will remain but the government will keep in such a way that the status quo is maintained and peace prevail, means some under the table deals.
10) One of the root causes of the problem in NE is the acceptance of mongoloid feature people as compared to the rest of India Indian. There is always an apprehension that their culture and diversity might vanish if not protected.
Just my views being a person from the NE.
So either you did not understand my post or you didnt try to understand it.

I was talking about the problem with regard to "Myanmar" providing Coco island to China for a military base which exists right next to Andamand and Nicobar Island which will create an alternate route for the Chinese from Malacca Straight and our Navy wont be able to blocade them right next to Indonesia from coming to the Indian Ocean Region.

The Myanmar regime is anyway supressing its people and there wont be much opposition we would face if we took this step.

We would definitely win the local people support and also thwart Chinese influence which is there in the military.

Other points you put are completely irrelevant to what i had said.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag

Ujjain

Country flag
Few pages back @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR has posted link from ghe BR SF thread from 2013/2014. Go to page 75 or so and see the interviews from various Para offsars. Same bs. It's the conventional officer cadres hold over the SF.

Its become worse. In the Army a sense that a 'real war' will never come has taken hold and they are happy with COIN as its low intensity and still wins them the medals and promotions.
Finally you wrote it. I was afraid of writing the same thing. Especially second paragraph. Old timers donot like this airborne hold over SF making it just another infantry unit just for the sake of regimental history, awards and citations.

tomthounaojam

Country flag
So either you did not understand my post or you didnt try to understand it.

I was talking about the problem with regard to "Myanmar" providing Coco island to China for a military base which exists right next to Andamand and Nicobar Island which will create an alternate route for the Chinese from Malacca Straight and our Navy wont be able to blocade them right next to Indonesia from coming to the Indian Ocean Region.

The Myanmar regime is anyway suppressing its people and there wont be much opposition we would face if we took this step.

We would definitely win the local people support and also thwart Chinese influence which is there in the military.

Other points you put are completely irrelevant to what i had said.
Indeed some of my points are off track, sorry for that.
But why should we take action against Myanmar? Are you saying that the insurgency problem is so dire that we have to wage a war who seems to have a decent relationship with us? I know it is a what-if scenario.

Coco island, we know that the Chinese are there, but our own Top official from the military has said it not alarming, there are some runway being developed by the Chinese which is no threat to us.
If you read this article the Tatmadaw is more interested in the Island now and don't think it will be given to anyone, plus they have some frosty relationship with Bangladesh so they would be naturally want to keep it to themselves.

The Military is so long in power that it will be will hard to decay, the context can be said for the Chinese too, like said before they are very cunning people and know what to milk from these two big powers. And we and the Chinese will compete to have the sphere of influence.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Indeed some of my points are off track, sorry for that.
But why should we take action against Myanmar? Are you saying that the insurgency problem is so dire that we have to wage a war who seems to have a decent relationship with us? I know it is a what-if scenario.

Coco island, we know that the Chinese are there, but our own Top official from the military has said it not alarming, there are some runway being developed by the Chinese which is no threat to us.
If you read this article the Tatmadaw is more interested in the Island now and don't think it will be given to anyone, plus they have some frosty relationship with Bangladesh so they would be naturally want to keep it to themselves.

The Military is so long in power that it will be will hard to decay, the context can be said for the Chinese too, like said before they are very cunning people and know what to milk from these two big powers. And we and the Chinese will compete to have the sphere of influence.
Tell me one thing..How is a construction of a Runway by China on an island right next Andaman and Nicobar and having Kalam island and Balasore in the far horizon not a threat?

Secondly, We need to take action not for the insurgency only but on humanitarian ground and also making Myanmar a democratic nation which it is not.Communist or Dictator would never support India.

We want to be a P5 nation and we cannnot keep running away from military actions.

Moreover Indian Army inside Myanmar will give us more power on the bargaining table with the insurgent leaders.

Lastly, i would like to read about the Defence offcial who said that Coco island taken by the Chinese is not a threat.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Tell me one thing..How is a construction of a Runway by China on an island right next Andaman and Nicobar and having Kalam island and Balasore in the far horizon not a threat?

Secondly, We need to take action not for the insurgency only but on humanitarian ground and also making Myanmar a democratic nation which it is not.Communist or Dictator would never support India.

We want to be a P5 nation and we cannnot keep running away from military actions.

Moreover Indian Army inside Myanmar will give us more power on the bargaining table with the insurgent leaders.

Lastly, i would like to read about the Defence offcial who said that Coco island taken by the Chinese is not a threat.
Chinese in coco island is just a urban legend according to some reports

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag

Scramjet

Country flag
Finally you wrote it. I was afraid of writing the same thing. Especially second paragraph. Old timers donot like this airborne hold over SF making it just another infantry unit just for the sake of regimental history, awards and citations.
What about new offcrs ? Do they feel the same ?

Ujjain

Country flag
What about new offcrs ? Do they feel the same ?
No idea bhai. But my last contact was in March 2016 in AHRR GI ward and rheumatology ward lots of them were admitted there. I think the number was more than 10. Only 3 of them were old guys in there 60s and all three of them had some real problem with the way SF is being run especially reckless conversion of airborne units to SF.They used pretty colorful language against serving and retired airborne officers. But the guys who were in service denied to speak anything about their deployment or operations or pretty much anything but they told stories about operations in which they were injured.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles