Indian Special Forces

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
"FN is not going to supply scar and p90 to indian special forces any more" according to sandip
Please correct if I am wrong

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
More SIGs on the way seems like. I was always a proponent for AR-15 and AR-10 platforms over SCARs, bullpups or any other. FN & HK can go suck a 🍆
More likely they will go for M4s not SIGs!! Scar is a overrated rifle hyped by wh*te nationalists in USA but in reality it's got the worst recoil ever which in turn affects the accuracy of the rifle!!!!! Its blessing in disguise indeed. But what's worrying me is the loss of P90 its a really good rifle. But we have other alternatives in the form of Israeli weapons.

Gessler

Country flag
More likely they will go for M4s not SIGs!!
If by M4 you mean AR-15 pattern rifles from Colt, may I ask why?

End of the day all modern AR-15 based platforms from reputable US companies are very similar in functionality so it really doesn't matter. Though must say the SIG 516 which incorporates all the good things from the HK416 design is a pretty compelling case.

But what's worrying me is the loss of P90 its a really good rifle. But we have other alternatives in the form of Israeli weapons.
I wouldn't call P90 a rifle, more of a PDW.

Again, it was a solution for Close-quarter situations created at a time when effective, short-barrel AR-15s did not exist. Today that's not the case so its very hard for me to recommend a P90 over something like a SIG 516PDW with 7.5" if you want a piston or a Daniel Defense Mk.18 if you can do without a piston.

Unless perhaps in very special use cases like VIP security details which may sometimes necessitate the very rectangular-shaped P90 both for ease of concealment inside cases or maneuvering in very tight spaces. But its certainly not indispensable anywhere else - there's a reason why no serious Military SOF uses P90s in the world.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
If by M4 you mean AR-15 pattern rifles from Colt, may I ask why?

End of the day all modern AR-15 based platforms from reputable US companies are very similar in functionality so it really doesn't matter. Though must say the SIG 516 which incorporates all the good things from the HK416 design is a pretty compelling case.

I wouldn't call P90 a rifle, more of a PDW.

Again, it was a solution for Close-quarter situations created at a time when effective, short-barrel AR-15s did not exist. Today that's not the case so its very hard for me to recommend a P90 over something like a SIG 516PDW with 7.5" if you want a piston or a Daniel Defense Mk.18 if you can do without a piston.

Unless perhaps in very special use cases like VIP security details which may sometimes necessitate the very rectangular-shaped P90 both for ease of concealment inside cases or maneuvering in very tight spaces. But its certainly not indispensable anywhere else - there's a reason why no serious Military SOF uses P90s in the world.
Yes P90 is a PDW!!
The reason why they will pick M4s is because they already have some in their arsenal plus they use 5.56 wrt 716 using 7.62(they have AK alternative for that).

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Go for Mk18 rifle
Highly unlikely but let's see!!
In my opinion get full Technology Transfer from Israelis go for Gilil, Arad and Carmel which has quality and that ToT will come in handy for Indian manufacturers in the future and won't be dependent on external sources just like how the Israelis learnt it in the first place.

Gessler

Country flag
The reason why they will pick M4s is because they already have some in their arsenal plus they use 5.56 wrt 716 using 7.62(they have AK alternative for that).
Those M4A1s were bought way back. They are all still AR-15 platforms so the fundamentals are the same, no problem with adopting newer, better versions from other makers. They were already open to SCARs so its not like they were averse to changing some things anyway.

SIG 516 is a 5.56 platform. The 7.62 one is SIG 716.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Those M4A1s were bought way back. They are all still AR-15 platforms so the fundamentals are the same, no problem with adopting newer, better versions from other makers. They were already open to SCARs so its not like they were averse to changing some things anyway.

SIG 516 is a 5.56 platform. The 7.62 one is SIG 716.
Sig 556 is better than M4s, yes!! But M4s perform better in colder climates plus its comparatively lighter than the latter and cheaper as well. At the end of the day I would be happy if anyone of them will be picked.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
firstly only source of this news is Sandeep Unnithan and he is from India today, so we never know how much of this is true until there is official confirmation. India today is NDTV ka baap these days.

Perhaps it is time to develop “Paltan ki izzat” at policy level by the forces.

Either build it into policy to involve MEA to ensure such things don’t happen,
or build it into foreign procurement contracts that such a thing does not happen
or create a policy so that if such a thing happens there is timeframe where all equipment/systems from such a company gets replaced along with placing that company under black list.

Country flag
So what about the Scars of AFSOD? Voh toh pakka JK mei use honge.
And inko itna kya mirchi hai, if it is used in Kashmir by SFF who has minimal deployment there.
Is this after Galwan or after readjustment, or is it not related to the standoff, and SFF is just going through a modernisation.