Indian Special Forces

Kumaoni

Kumaoni

X Post (credit- @rkhanna)

For the record here is a (exhaustive?) list of NSG operations (source: Wiki)

• 29–30 April 1986: About 300 NSG commandos and 700 Border Security Force troops stormed the Golden Temple in Operation Black Thunder I. The Temple was cleared and handed over to Punjab Police on 1 May 1986. 300 Sikh militants were captured, and there were no deaths or injuries for either side.[24]
  • January 1988: The NSG conducted Op Black Hawk, a heliborne operation in the Mand area of Punjab. In this operation two terrorists were killed and one 7.62mm was recovered. It was a massive operation, says former NSG Director General Ved Marwah, though it did not get many spectacular results like in Black Thunder.[25]
  • 12 May 1988: 1,000 NSG commandos (all ranks) surrounded the Golden Temple for yet another assault, in Operation Black Thunder II. Sniper teams armed with Heckler & Koch PSG-1 rifles with night scope took up positions, including atop a 300-foot water tower. While commandos from the 51 SAG divided into assault squadrons, the SRG were used to seal off the area around the temple and for tactical support. In the three-day operation between 15–18 May 1988, the NSG cleared the temple. 40 terrorists were killed, and 200 surrendered. In the mid-1990s, a NSG battalion was again deployed in Punjab to confront the Sikh rioters. There they began training the Punjab Police in counter-terrorism.[26]
  • 5 September – 15 January 1988: Guarding of high-risk terrorist code-named 'Jack'.[25]
  • 4 August 1989: Operation Mouse Trap in the Tarn Taran district of Punjab, in conjunction with Punjab Police and other security forces. NSG was able to demonstrate that it was possible to achieve area dominance at night, if the strategy and tactics were right. Ved Marwah calls this Operation Night Dominance.[25]
  • 10 November 1990: NSG task force flown to Kolkata to rescue hostages of a Thai airbus by Burmese students.[25]
  • 25–26 January 1991: The NSG was involved in Operation Ani Ben, on CI tasks in Baroda, (Gujarat) where Punjab terrorists were holed up inside a house. Two terrorists were killed and two AK-47s were recovered.[25]
  • 1 July-20 September 1991: NSG employed along with SIT in search and strike missions after the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi.[25]
  • 25 November – 16 December 1992: 150 commandos were deployed at Ayodhya during the Ram Janambhoomi and Babri Masjid crisis.[25]
  • 27 March 1993: 52 SAG mobilised and moved to Adampur for rescue of hostages of Indian Airlines Flight IC 486.[25]
  • 24–25 April 1993: NSG Commandos storm a hijacked Indian Airlines Boeing 737 with 141 passengers on board at Amritsar airport during Operation Ashwamedh. Two hijackers, including their leader, Mohammed Yousuf Shah, are killed and one is disarmed before. No hostages are harmed.[25][27]
  • October 1998: As part of the implementation of the Union Home Ministry's decision to conduct pro-active strikes against militants, commando teams supported by IAF Mi-25/35 helicopter gun-ships began striking at terrorist groups deep inside the mountains and forests of Kashmir. After helicopter reconnaissance were conducted to pinpoint the militants, the commandos – comprising NSG and Rashtriya Rifles personnel – were para-dropped, along with supplies, into the area to hunt the militants. They had to rely on these supplies and their ability to live off the land until replenishment every fortnight or so. These missions are possibly ongoing.[26]
  • 15 July 1999: NSG commandos end a 30-hour standoff by killing 2 terrorists and rescuing all 12 hostages unharmed in J&K. The terrorists had attacked a BSF campus near Srinagar, killed 3 officers and the wife of another. The 12 hostages were kept locked in a room.[26]
  • 21 August 1999: After interrogating three captured terrorists, the Delhi Police Crime branch confirmed that two more terrorists were hiding in a one-storied house in Rudrapur, Uttar Pradesh. Since the terrorists were considered armed and dangerous (their colleagues were arrested with 100+ pounds of RDX), the Delhi Police sought assistance from the NSG. A 16-man team arrived at the house at 4:45 am They began their assault at 5:30 am, before first light. The first militant managed to fire at the commandos with a pistol he kept by his bedside, but was killed an instant later. The second terrorist was shot before he had a chance to fire and died 40 minutes later. No NSG personnel were injured.[26]
  • December 1999: Terrorists hijacked Indian Airlines flight IC814 from Nepal, and landed in Amritsar, Punjab. Within minutes of landing, the Crisis Management Group (CMG), which authorised the use of the NSG, was informed. But the CMG wasted precious hours and by the time the go-ahead was issued, it is too late. On the other hand, the NSG team on alert was elsewhere and no other team was raised during the delay. The hijacked plane took off before the NSG reached Amritsar Airport. The plane landed in Kandahar, Afghanistan where one hostage was killed. Finally, the Indian Government agrees to the terrorists' demands to release three jailed terrorists. The hostages are released and the terrorists escaped to Pakistan.[26]
  • February 2000: Following the Flight IC 814 fiasco, the Indian Government decided to implement an Air Marshal programme. At least two NSG operators will be present on flights over select routes. These operators will be armed with weapons firing lethal, but low-velocity, fragmentation rounds to minimise danger to the passengers and prevent penetration of the aircraft. Another decision taken was to deploy NSG teams permanently at eight sensitive airports around the country, especially those bordering Pakistan and the North East. This decision will cut short reaction times for the NSG and eliminate hassles involved in flying the teams to the hijack site. It is not known if this plan has been put into action.[26]
  • September 2002 – SAG commandos fly to the Karnataka state in India, in an effort to catch sandalwood smuggler and forest brigand Veerappan, in the wake of kidnapping of a former minister of the state cabinet, Nagappa. They pull out after suggesting that intelligence for the operation was inadequate. A small team is left behind to help, the hostage is eventually killed in December 2002.[25]
  • October 2002 – Two terrorists attack Akshardham temple complex in Gujarat. NSG flies in, delayed by traffic in Delhi. They carry out assaults in which one commando is killed and another one is seriously injured and was in a coma, died after 18 months. But by morning the two terrorists are killed and the operation successfully completed.[25]
  • December 2002 – Terrorists attack the Raghunath temple in Jammu. NSG ready to be flown out but called back at the last minute.[25]
  • 26 November 2008 Mumbai attacksOperation Black Tornado and Operation Cyclone to flush out terrorists & rescue hostages after multiple attacks across Mumbai, India. Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan and Havaldar Gajender Singh Bisht of the Special Action Group lost their lives during the operations.Over 900 rooms were scanned, 9 Terrorists killed and over 600 hostages rescued during the Operation.
  • 2013 Hyderabad blasts – Deployed in Hyderabad after the bomb blasts.
  • 2013 Bangalore Bomb Blast - NSG was deployed in Bangalore after the bomb blast took place in the city.
  • 2013 Patna bombings - A team of the NSG, which was sent to Patna for post-blasts analysis, said at least three more Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) were defused.
  • 2016 Pathankot attack - An NSG team took part in the operation to neutralize terrorists where Lt. Col. Niranjan lost his life defusing a grenade or IED booby trapped on the body of a dead terrorist, and 12 other members of the unit were injured. Six terrorists were neutralised in the operation by the NSG, Defence Security Corps and the Garud Commando Force[28][29]

Kumaoni

Although I respect martyrdom of capt Pawan Kumar
But he is typical example of lack of mordern training and tactics in para sf
U didn’t the read the first part of his citation did u.

If anything him entering the room first was probably on his own initiative, as he know a daylight urban op without ballistic shields or stun grenades was a practical suicide missio

jai jaganath

Country flag
U didn’t the read the first part of his citation did u.

If anything him entering the room first was probably on his own initiative, as he know a daylight urban op without ballistic shields or stun grenades was a practical suicide missio
Mate I have read about him in detail 2 years back
Entering like Rambo shows lack of mordern breaching techniques in para sf
That is lack mordern training in cqb environments
Right now only morcos have shown mordern breaching equipments indicating their training
Lack of equipments here shows that they have never faced mordern cqb or breaching techniques
Nobody can defend it
AFAIK he got 4 bullets on his chest due to it

Kumaoni

Mate I have read about him in detail 2 years back
Entering like Rambo shows lack of mordern breaching techniques in para sf
That is lack mordern training in cqb environments
Right now only morcos have shown mordern breaching equipments indicating their training
Lack of equipments here shows that they have never faced mordern cqb or breaching techniques
Nobody can defend it
AFAIK he got 4 bullets on his chest due to it
They had no other choice BECAUSE of their lack of CQB and room intervention experience and equipment. ALSO NSG has good breaching techniques which is why they have suffered cas in only 3 ops in last 30 years (out of 100s ops)

jai jaganath

Country flag
They had no other choice BECAUSE of their lack of CQB and room intervention experience and equipment. ALSO NSG has good breaching techniques which is why they have suffered cas in only 3 ops in last 30 years (out of 100s ops)
That's what I said
Para sf lack both cqb and mordern breaching training techniques and equipments

jai jaganath

Country flag
I think the fault for this is Army Upper Brass along with the MoD. They should be tried for murder of Captain Pawan Kumar, Tushar Mahajan, and Om Prakash
If we loom that way many generals marshals should be held guilty for many deaths
I dont how many air force officers should be held guilty for death of young capable pilots while flying those shitty old mig-21 and other old jets which they can't retire for low squadron strength caused due to their lobbying and push for foreign gold-plated fighters

Kumaoni

We dont even hear about the exploits of para sf units, i've read so many citations from the last few years mostly from LC.

Although in late 90s to early 2000s they were actively conducting SADO operations in a CI setting in Rajouri-Poonch. We lost major udai singh in one such operation where he came in contact with a large insurgent group. Prior to this his team successfully had destroyed several SATCOM and ELINT assets and their handlers in that AO.
We rarely hear about infantry operations in general. Hundreds undisclosed ops with 20-30 confirmed kills and min cas on our side. Ik of a couple, and they were all classified, and the manner of the op still are, only thing I know is that it happened

Blood+

Country flag
Don’t insult Major Jacob by associating him to Jai Ho gang members who can’t name a single operation done by para other than surgical strikes
The jai ho gang do seem to revere that guy as their primarch or something, so he wasn't wrong to make that comment.

DIE UwU

Country flag
The jai ho gang do seem to revere that guy as their primarch or something, so he wasn't wrong to make that comment.
I think we can all agree Maj Jacob is pretty forward thinking guy who had great carrier in special forces, its just the "we are the best , better than everyone, send us naked in the mountain" chest thummping that made him a Jai ho gang favorite.
I also think its fine to use maj jacob as the poster guy for jai ho gang as he is the main supplier of copium to the blinded ones.

Kumaoni

I think lot of his comments are basically mentality/exaggartions. Jai Ho and Gucci hang here is too stupid to understand that, hence they take every statement literally (I think this is also another Indian trait I’ve seen online).

As for bisleri comment I think it was a joke, don’t know why members here get so offended. They need to rename this thread to Indian SJWs, as both jai ho gang members want to thump their chest saying muh special forces do surgical strikes, while Gucci boys think WEST makes no fault at all and that they are perfect. BTW every time I visit “India” I also drink biselri pani. I myself am a bisleri boy saying this.

Truth is something like this: PARA SF operators can be quite resourceful in mountain and jungle ops in Kashmir and NE and perform wonderfully in many operations, but their severity in lack of modern equipment, extremely poor training in urban combat and room interventions, and overuse in COIN ops esp in the late 2ks where they weren’t needed in J and K as militancy had died, as well as the mindless decision of generals to make a singular para regiment with SF and airborne (basically they think that 9 para and a newly raised 12 para have the same SOF capabilty), have severely reduced the para sf from even a super infantry role.

(EDIT HERE: poor training in urban combat has led to botchedops like EDI and lack of equipment (esp N fighting abilities- also led to another botched op in where paras were actually cut down)

RN they seem to be a COIN unit like the RR. Nothing else.

I’d just wish Jacob sir was more honest. If he could push for seperating of SF btns w regular infantry changes may come as he has a big following amongst Indian casuals

Last edited:

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles