Indian Special Forces

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Well SOCOM decided to go for SCAR H and bought conversion kits for 5.56. maybe that's a trick para SF wants to include? A lesson SOCOM passed on to them via all the joint ex! One platform modular for diff mission req? As such the SCAR would provide the most effective (quality) platform that also provides the correct blend of weight vs capability trade off while not having them to be current on multiple caliber / rifle types in training?
I dont think the SCAR H can be converted to fire 5.56 correct me if i am wrong.
The scar L is a different rifle, even the lowers are different.

Gessler

Country flag
Well SOCOM decided to go for SCAR H and bought conversion kits for 5.56. maybe that's a trick para SF wants to include? A lesson SOCOM passed on to them via all the joint ex! One platform modular for diff mission req? As such the SCAR would provide the most effective (quality) platform that also provides the correct blend of weight vs capability trade off while not having them to be current on multiple caliber / rifle types in training?
They did, but only to get some use out of existing receivers. Bulk of SOCOM would rather prefer an M4A1 Block II and an AR-10 marksman rifle (M110 or new HK417-based M110A1) over widespread adoption of SCARs.

The modularity of varying calibres is something that makes more economic & logistical sense for a regular infantry force. Sure its an advantage that you can make use of when you decide to change things up, but I doubt that's likely to be (or should be) the driving factor in selecting SF weapons.

As of training on multiple rifle types - yes that is something to work on, however AR-15 and AR-10 are virtually the same as far as position of controls, firing & reloading drills are concerned. But some things like the feel of pistol grip & trigger pull is likely to be different due to different manufacturers so can throw off some operators, unless specifically modified with the same grips & trigger groups.

It's definitely possible to do this on the AR family if one has access to the right suppliers & can keep the armouries stocked with such parts - but you're right buying SCAR family might be a neat, off-the-shelf way to do this.

I dont think the SCAR H can be converted to fire 5.56 correct me if i am wrong.
The scar L is a different rifle, even the lowers are different.
H can be converted to 5.56 as its a smaller round.

But L cannot be converted to 7.62.

Last edited:

ManhattanProject

Country flag
They did, but only to get some use out of existing receivers. Bulk of SOCOM would rather prefer an M4A1 Block II and an AR-10 marksman rifle (M110 or new HK417-based M110A1) over widespread adoption of SCARs.

The modularity of varying calibres is something that makes more economic & logistical sense for a regular infantry force. Sure its an advantage that you can make use of when you decide to change things up, but I doubt that's likely to be (or should be) the driving factor in selecting SF weapons.

As of training on multiple rifle types - yes that is something to work on, however AR-15 and AR-10 are virtually the same as far as position of controls, firing & reloading drills are concerned. But some things like the feel of pistol grip & trigger pull is likely to be different due to different manufacturers so can throw off some operators, unless specifically modified with the same grips & trigger groups.

It's definitely possible to do this on the AR family if one has access to the right suppliers & can keep the armouries stocked with such parts - but you're right buying SCAR family might be a neat, off-the-shelf way to do this.

H can be converted to 5.56 as its a smaller round.

But L cannot be converted to 7.62.
Yes it is understood that the scar h can be converted to fire 5.56, but where there kits available to do that? were they available to the military?
my knowledge is mostly limited to the US civilian market, i have never seen one.

Gessler

Country flag
Yes it is understood that the scar h can be converted to fire 5.56, but where there kits available to do that? were they available to the military?
my knowledge is mostly limited to the US civilian market, i have never seen one.
The initial kit was developed specifically for SOCOM by FN.

I believe there are a few third party companies that do (or attempted to) such conversion kits for civilian use but there's really no market for it.

Gessler

Country flag
These mods really breath new life into the Micro Uzi platform that would otherwise be too hopelessly small to accommodate such grips & pressure switches.

However I do think Paras might be better served by just switching over to B&T MP9 like Ghatak teams have done, for any role where the Uzi might be used. MP9 has the all the space & mounting options one would need for everything from sights to lasers & their switches, while still remaining very compact.

Guess they don't want to throw away those little beasties anytime soon.

mp9 ghatak.JPG

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag
Anyone found pics of Vajra Prahar Ex?
There's barely a couple articles on the matter

It was conducted very very low key
Who knows
😏 maybe AFSOD or something
😏Maybe Quad tubes
😏Maybe peltors
😏Maybe dedicated air assets

Maybe.................just....maybe

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles