Indian Special Forces

rkhanna

Country flag
Dunno, but it is old, for sure. Maybe a surefire from the early 2000s.
Th STAR doubles as a DMR - does Suppressor lenght aid/change muzzle velocity/ Range?

Just asking because is the Suppressor choice thought out or limited to what we have in inventory?

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag
Not sure whether he is a SF operative or not
INSAS behind
SF no-no
RR - maybe
Joint ops - maybe
Am I going crazy at this point due to insufficient info released by armasen - maybe

Gessler

Country flag
Any idea why we use such long suppressor ? What make model is it?
It's IWI's own product. PLR also makes it.

Th STAR doubles as a DMR - does Suppressor lenght aid/change muzzle velocity/ Range?
Absolutely beneficial to velocity, however marginal - but the barrel of any marksmanship platform is by itself meant to impart adequate velocity & stability to the round out to its maximum intended reach. For a 5.56 round the sizeable 18" barrel of Tavor should be enough.

I doubt the length of the suppressor was designed to increase the marksmanship ability of the Tavor in any way....Usually its a balance between how big & long the baffles need to be in order to reduce the sound by an acceptable margin, and how thick/heavy they need to be in order to not overheat quickly, and how heavy the suppressor can get as a result before it becomes unusable.

The length is more than likely the result of IWI suppressor tech being behind the curve.

Just asking because is the Suppressor choice thought out or limited to what we have in inventory?
The latter - take a look at the kit on most Indian SF Tavors.

IWI guns, Mepro, Nimrod or ITL optics, and pretty much all attachments seen on Tavors are IWI in-house products (with the rare exception of PEQs).

They're mostly buying kit in a 'one-stop-shop' manner. Most of this kit is available from the same vendor.

rkhanna

Country flag
I doubt the length of the suppressor was designed to increase the marksmanship ability of the Tavor in any way.
No I meant a short stub suppressor vs a longer Suppressor. Between them does it make a difference to the ballistics. Barrell being the same.

Killbot

Country flag

Adds a little bit of velocity. But not very significant. Same with range. The point of a suppressor is to reduce the flash of the rifle, I.e. rifle signature. This may not mean much during the day, but can be a gift for night fighting. You have posted about how the US armed forces are gearing up for night fighting yourself.

I don't know whether it is limited to what is in our inventory or not. But a suppressor on a 5.56 isn't going to do anything but mitigate flash and recoil. Not even sound, because the bullet is supersonic. And it adds weight.The former is needed for night fighting. You tell me, because I have absolutely no insight into what goes on descision makers' minds. I've given up on trying to understand too.

Killbot

Country flag
It's IWI's own product. PLR also makes it.

Absolutely beneficial to velocity, however marginal - but the barrel of any marksmanship platform is by itself meant to impart adequate velocity & stability to the round out to its maximum intended reach. For a 5.56 round the sizeable 18" barrel of Tavor should be enough.

I doubt the length of the suppressor was designed to increase the marksmanship ability of the Tavor in any way....Usually its a balance between how big & long the baffles need to be in order to reduce the sound by an acceptable margin, and how thick/heavy they need to be in order to not overheat quickly, and how heavy the suppressor can get as a result before it becomes unusable.

The length is more than likely the result of IWI suppressor tech being behind the curve.

The latter - take a look at the kit on most Indian SF Tavors.

IWI guns, Mepro, Nimrod or ITL optics, and pretty much all attachments seen on Tavors are IWI in-house products (with the rare exception of PEQs).

They're mostly buying kit in a 'one-stop-shop' manner. Most of this kit is available from the same vendor.
Isn't the Tavor known to be a 3 MOA gun at best? Is is the best choice for a DMR?

Killbot

Country flag
No I meant a short stub suppressor vs a longer Suppressor. Between them does it make a difference to the ballistics. Barrell being the same.
Not much. But the short one will also mitigate the rifle signature. And will be lighter. If it works well enough (eg Surefire SOCOM series) it should be considered.

Gessler

Country flag
Isn't the Tavor known to be a 3 MOA gun at best? Is is the best choice for a DMR?
Forget DMR - was it the best choice for an SF assault rifle?

Answer is nope on both counts. However we had decided for whatever reason that we want to go with, what was at that time, a largely untested design as our standard SF rifle (and a bullpup no less, who's SOF usage was extremely limited if any and even those countries that issued bullpups to infantry stuck with AR-15s for SOFs). And the M4A1 orders that followed few years down the line for SFs (evidently not everyone in Para is a fan of bullpups) since 2008 onwards IIRC weren't in very large quantities either.

So for better or worse its what we have.

That's why I keep reiterating my wish to see the new SIG 716s in a DMR role at least in Garuds (replacing STAR-21) and MARCOS (replacing and/or complementing Galatz). In all likelihood Paras will receive 716s too but will have to see, as evidently they seem to be enamoured by the SCAR-H instead.

rkhanna

Country flag
Forget DMR - was it the best choice for an SF assault rifle?

Answer is nope on both counts. However we had decided for whatever reason that we want to go with, what was at that time, a largely untested design as our standard SF rifle (and a bullpup no less, who's SOF usage was extremely limited if any and even those countries that issued bullpups to infantry stuck with AR-15s for SOFs). And the M4A1 orders that followed few years down the line for SFs (evidently not everyone in Para is a fan of bullpups) since 2008 onwards IIRC weren't in very large quantities either.

So for better or worse its what we have.

That's why I keep reiterating my wish to see the new SIG 716s in a DMR role at least in Garuds (replacing STAR-21) and MARCOS (replacing and/or complementing Galatz). In all likelihood Paras will receive 716s too but will have to see, as evidently they seem to be enamoured by the SCAR-H instead.
Well SOCOM decided to go for SCAR H and bought conversion kits for 5.56. maybe that's a trick para SF wants to include? A lesson SOCOM passed on to them via all the joint ex! One platform modular for diff mission req? As such the SCAR would provide the most effective (quality) platform that also provides the correct blend of weight vs capability trade off while not having them to be current on multiple caliber / rifle types in training?

Wisemarko

Country flag
Well SOCOM decided to go for SCAR H and bought conversion kits for 5.56.
SCAR is not a very popular choice after all. The experience of SOCOM with SCAR-H is mediocre at best. Malfunctions are way too common and weapon is too noisy for the missions.

Over the last 2-3 years SEALs have switched back to M4 derivatives. I am interested in knowing how Indian SF like SIG 761i derivative. I think it is a better design than SCAR-H.

There is no one best gun to fit all the needs of SF- anywhere.

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag

Tactical Doge

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles