Indian Special Forces

abingdonboy

Country flag
Totally avoidable too, just look the poonch attack a week ago.

These kind of tactics will get ANY army killed, Amerimutts knew this so they started using drones and AFs, something the IA refuses to do
I don’t totally agree, sometimes you have to put boots in the fight, a cave in a jungle isn’t exactly tech friendly

but absolutely the risk/reward ratio seems skewed in india and commanders don’t seem to go to the fullest extent possible to mitigate risks- they likely don’t have the resources to do so

Kumaoni

I don’t totally agree, sometimes you have to put boots in the fight, a cave in a jungle isn’t exactly tech friendly

but absolutely the risk/reward ratio seems skewed in india and commanders don’t seem to go to the fullest extent possible to mitigate risks- they likely don’t have the resources to do so
I do agree, and the IA is more than capable in fighting, what it is not capable in is common sense. They haven't done one airstike, one drone strike, inside the whole insurgency. Its been pretty much boots on the ground since 89 and so many avoidable casualties have come from this.

rkhanna

Country flag
hey haven't done one airstike, one drone strike, inside the whole insurgency. Its been pretty much boots on the ground since 89 and so many avoidable casualties have come from this.
If I remember correctly from my Family members who served in the valley through the mid/late 90s and 2000s. There is an informal escalation of force between the IA and the Pakis.

our Airpower in Kashmir is restricted to ISR and Logistics - we dont get flooded with RPGS and MANPADs. - or so I remmeber.

Also SOPs of Collatarel damage in your own territory visavis a territory you are occupying (your American reference) are different. -

@COLDHEARTED AVIATOR could elaborate?

Kumaoni

If I remember correctly from my Family members who served in the valley through the mid/late 90s and 2000s. There is an informal escalation of force between the IA and the Pakis.

our Airpower in Kashmir is restricted to ISR and Logistics - we dont get flooded with RPGS and MANPADs. - or so I remmeber.

Also SOPs of Collatarel damage in your own territory visavis a territory you are occupying (your American reference) are different. -

@COLDHEARTED AVIATOR could elaborate?
I mean are drone strikes that escalating?

rkhanna

Country flag
Lastly just want to point out one thing!

1. A well planned Ambush is extremely lethal to the recieving Force - its not about skill level.
2. Does not take alot of training to plan and execute a well planned ambush - Cover, Surprise, Overwhelming firepower directed into the kill box

Kumaoni

Lastly just want to point out one thing!

1. A well planned Ambush is extremely lethal to the recieving Force - its not about skill level.
2. Does not take alot of training to plan and execute a well planned ambush - Cover, Surprise, Overwhelming firepower directed into the kill box
Not sure if this was an ambush, I think the team carelessy walked into the IED explosion.

rkhanna

Country flag
Not sure if this was an ambush, I think the team carelessy walked into the IED explosion.
From What i have read - They got hit by an IED/Grenade and then suppression fire.

Sounds like an Ambush to me.

There are alot of things i Can fault with our soldiers (SF or not) but walking carelessly into an IED in an active op is probably not one of them.

rkhanna

Country flag
"
At about 7.30am on 5 May, a search team established contact with a group of terrorists well entrenched in a cave. The area is thickly vegetated with rocky and steep cliffs.

The terrorists triggered an explosive device in retaliation, the army said.

Officials in the defence and security establishment told ThePrint that the soldiers were were from the 9 Para SF.

They added that the special team was out on operation to track the terrorists behind an attack last month that led to the death of five soldiers.

The Poonch attack on an army truck that killed five soldiers last month was believed to have been carried out by a combined team of the Jaish-e-Mohammed and the Lashkar-e-Taiba with a mix of local and Pakistani terrorists.

The officials said that the soldiers’ location was first hit by grenades and then the terrorists closed in, opening fire."

Lured them into the killbox.

Kumaoni

The officials said that the soldiers’ location was first hit by grenades and then the terrorists closed in, opening fire."
Wow. Just wow. Wish we could do more than this. Same mistakes are being made.

sameer3694

"
At about 7.30am on 5 May, a search team established contact with a group of terrorists well entrenched in a cave. The area is thickly vegetated with rocky and steep cliffs.

Officials in the defence and security establishment told ThePrint that the soldiers were were from the 9 Para SF.

They added that the special team was out on operation to track the terrorists behind an attack last month that led to the death of five soldiers.

The Poonch attack on an army truck that killed five soldiers last month was believed to have been carried out by a combined team of the Jaish-e-Mohammed and the Lashkar-e-Taiba with a mix of local and Pakistani terrorists.

Looks like 5 martyred now.

abingdonboy

Country flag
"

Wasn’t there a massive operation last year in those jungles? Seems like they are rife with this stuff

Also seems like none of the terrorists were hit, the IED hit and run tactic seems to becoming more effective for them, the fidayeen attacks aren’t offering the same ROI anymore.

Kumaoni

Wasn’t there a massive operation last year in those jungles? Seems like they are rife with this stuff

Also seems like none of the terrorists were hit, the IED hit and run tactic seems to becoming more effective for them, the fidayeen attacks aren’t offering the same ROI anymore.
2 were killed

Country flag

in 2021 after 10 KIA, SF along with attack hepters were deployed and searches continued for months (iirc 2 months), but eventually the terrorists managed to escape

abingdonboy

Country flag
Loose 5 men trying to avenge 5 men, from the condition of para sf i just feel the army likes to throw bodies at the problem everytime.
Default Indian army mindset for sure

That said, things like this at the tip of the spear do no seem avoidable sometimes. Deep in the jungles in hilly conditions who are you going to send

the bigger issue is that this slow bleed strategy wages on for the 4th decade? It’s appalling to see these badasses go like this year after year

in small print I do hope a proper after action report is compiled, it doesn’t seem to be the first time units have been lured into a kill box like this

Articles