Indian Special Forces

abingdonboy

Country flag
Off topic

Imagine one day you notice an old woman trying to cross a very busy road and you help her . It turns out she is the army chief's mother . The chief is very impressed by you and grants you three wishes.
(Note- no budget or supply constrains .)

What three specific items would you like to procure for PARA SF and why ?
It doesn’t work like that. Even if you give them the highest of high speed gear without the knowledge of of how to employ it or doctrine to do so plus all of the associated enablers it’s a complete waste of time.

equipment emerges FROM requirements not the other way around, at least that’s how it should happen if you’re a pro

watch from 4:20

He’s describing why the need for high cut helmets came about in the first place (they wanted to be able to wear peltors with their ballistic helmets) so they started customising their in-service MICH/ACH to accommodate the peltors, this effectively created high cuts before this became an OEM solution.

of course You have the reverse in india where PARA SF are running around in non-ballistic high cuts with no COMTACs probably just because they saw them in movies/games.

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
It is what it is, unfortunately.

We need people who have had experience to take podcasts, if we want something good, not people like BeerBiceps. Nothing against that guy personally, but he just doesn't know how to take interviews and ask interesting questions

I think it's kind of a mindset problem. People want to get clicks, not actually tell stories, and that is why we have videos like these:
View attachment 190296

And not like these:
View attachment 190298

And you know that Jocko's podcasts are genuine, because this guy fought in the battle of Ramadi(ex-SEAL, and led Task Force Bruiser). We need men like him to take podcasts of other active or retired personnel, that is when I think the quality of Indian content will have a sharp rise.
Jocko is a Top G in military podcasts . Absolute unit , total straightforward, no holdbacks , no twists , just pure practicalilty.
I also look up to Jason Liley (Marsoc raider) and Patrick Moltrup (Force recon) videos they're pretty cool too .

Cameron and Israel (The GB and Ranger ) , the army duo is a fun combo although they're less serious when talking about it

abingdonboy

Country flag
Jocko is a Top G in military podcasts . Absolute unit , total straightforward, no holdbacks , no twists , just pure practicalilty.
I also look up to Jason Liley (Marsoc raider) and Patrick Moltrup (Force recon) videos they're pretty cool too .

Cameron and Israel (The GB and Ranger ) , the army duo is a fun combo although they're less serious when talking about it
Andy Strumpf is always worth a listen (if he’s interviewing military guys), ex DEVGRU but doesn’t take himself very seriously at all

Jocko is a bit much for someone that was ‘only’ a vanilla SEAL (yeah I know that’s still an incredible achievement)

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
Off topic

Imagine one day you notice an old woman trying to cross a very busy road and you help her . It turns out she is the army chief's mother . The chief is very impressed by you and grants you three wishes.
(Note- no budget or supply constrains .)

What three specific items would you like to procure for PARA SF and why ?
Ok tell me , are you a 15 year old who's planning to join the special forces in future . Just a straight Q , no complications,no humiliation just pure curiosity...
I really wanna know?

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
Old enough to post whatever the fuck I want
Any other thread, I'd have said calm the fuck down and respect the topic at hand
But since it's the SF thread, fantasize and keep cooming kid, the mods don't give a shiit

kaboom

Country flag
It doesn’t work like that. Even if you give them the highest of high speed gear without the knowledge of of how to employ it or doctrine to do so plus all of the associated enablers it’s a complete waste of time.

equipment emerges FROM requirements not the other way around, at least that’s how it should happen if you’re a pro

watch from 4:20

He’s describing why the need for high cut helmets came about in the first place (they wanted to be able to wear peltors with their ballistic helmets) so they started customising their in-service MICH/ACH to accommodate the peltors, this effectively created high cuts before this became an OEM solution.

of course You have the reverse in india where PARA SF are running around in non-ballistic high cuts with no COMTACs probably just because they saw them in movies/games.
What you said is 100% true but the problem in India is that we almost never use our Sf elements for what they are meant for. Its true that equipment emerges FROM requirements but here its almost impossible for the requirements to emerge as they are never employed for that role (Also their are very few cases when the need has arised to employ them for their role) .I think most of the new tactics and equipment were born due to the gulf conflicts and Afghanistan and thus US and NATO were able to milk it . But in India's case we are always defensive in conflicts and thus elements created for unconventional and offensive roles are used for CI ops and security.
The only solutions remain is to inject them with relevant equipment and training even if it gives rise to goofy stuff but at least they would have the equipment when the requirement arises just like China is doing .

I may be wrong about a lot of stuff so correct me if I am.

kaboom

Country flag
Ok tell me , are you a 15 year old who's planning to join the special forces in future . Just a straight Q , no complications,no humiliation just pure curiosity...
I really wanna know?
are you a 15 year old -- no ,add 5 to it.
who's planning to join the special forces in future--not possible one eye is fucked

abingdonboy

Country flag
What you said is 100% true but the problem in India is that we almost never use our Sf elements for what they are meant for. Its true that equipment emerges FROM requirements but here its almost impossible for the requirements to emerge as they are never employed for that role (Also their are very few cases when the need has arised to employ them for their role) .I think most of the new tactics and equipment were born due to the gulf conflicts and Afghanistan and thus US and NATO were able to milk it . But in India's case we are always defensive in conflicts and thus elements created for unconventional and offensive roles are used for CI ops and security.
The only solutions remain is to inject them with relevant equipment and training even if it gives rise to goofy stuff but at least they would have the equipment when the requirement arises just like China is doing .

I may be wrong about a lot of stuff so correct me if I am.
Without a full fledged SOCOM where SFs are away from their conventional command structures we are all just talking in circles.

the current setup will only deliver mediocrity and confusion. SFs marching down R-Day parades says it all really

AFSOD was meant to be a stepping stone in that direction but it isn’t a solution and god knows what it’s still doing considering the SOCOM never was sanctioned (unlike the cyber and space commands)

And my opinion is that the SOCOM idea is now dead after the IA expanded the SF strength so much. We will have to see what emerges when the theatre commands are created because this will have to create some sort of organisational reform on the SF side. But we are talking 10-15 years down the line

STORE

Without a full fledged SOCOM where SFs are away from their conventional command structures we are all just talking in circles.

the current setup will only deliver mediocrity and confusion. SFs marching down R-Day parades says it all really

AFSOD was meant to be a stepping stone in that direction but it isn’t a solution and god knows what it’s still doing considering the SOCOM never was sanctioned (unlike the cyber and space commands)

And my opinion is that the SOCOM idea is now dead after the IA expanded the SF strength so much. We will have to see what emerges when the theatre commands are created because this will have to create some sort of organisational reform on the SF side. But we are talking 10-15 years down the line
I would say SF shouldn't be even used in Kashmir. They r even over doing it by sending in army fr encounters. Thats like U.S sending Delta and deploying army fr every shooting incident. local Police and CRPF should be more than enough. It's not 90's we're trained PAK jihadis we're infiltrating into Kashmir, now it's just young local jihadis who has little to no training whts so ever. Most of the time it's just 1 or 2 jihadis ,it's rare seeing 3 of them these days and we outnumber them 1 to 10 almost all the time and somehow we still take casualties.

kaboom

Country flag
Any other thread, I'd have said calm the fuck down and respect the topic at hand
But since it's the SF thread, fantasize and keep cooming kid, the mods don't give a shiit
Ya , i have a fantasy of a "discussion" thread where you can actually "discuss" .
I will keep fantasizing about it.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I would say SF shouldn't be even used in Kashmir. They r even over doing it by sending in army fr encounters. Thats like U.S sending Delta and deploying army fr every shooting incident. local Police and CRPF should be more than enough. It's not 90's we're trained PAK jihadis we're infiltrating into Kashmir, now it's just young local jihadis who has little to no training whts so ever. Most of the time it's just 1 or 2 jihadis ,it's rare seeing 3 of them these days and we outnumber them 1 to 10 almost all the time and somehow we still take casualties.
The army is being pulled out of most urban settings in JK and replaced by CAPFs/JKP. CRPF QAT and JKP SOG should be trained to a level where they can handle the kind of incidents that come up, not sure what PARA SF are adding in a CASO/room intervention role. Given the right training and equipment a police unit could do it just as well, it’s a police role on the whole anyway

Pakistan’s bleed them by a thousand cuts strategy has worked pretty well tbh

abingdonboy

Country flag
The army is being pulled out of most urban settings in JK and replaced by CAPFs/JKP. CRPF QAT and JKP SOG should be trained to a level where they can handle the kind of incidents that come up, not sure what PARA SF are adding in a CASO/room intervention role. Given the right training and equipment a police unit could do it just as well, it’s a police role on the whole anyway

Pakistan’s bleed them by a thousand cuts strategy has worked pretty well tbh
+ NSG being used in this role makes infinitely more sense than PARA SF but because the IA owns the battle space they’ve systematically refused to let NSG ever deploy in an role beyond training to JK. Let NSG get some experience there and if the deputation model is to continue if SF battalions Want to give their men exposure to CT in the real world then can depute them to NSG but PARA SF’s mission really is much bigger than that and most of the training should be beyond just CT

(Of course the above won’t happen as commanders won’t want to give up their AOR or lose some of their best men to another force)

Articles