Indian Special Forces

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Off topic

Imagine one day you notice an old woman trying to cross a very busy road and you help her . It turns out she is the army chief's mother . The chief is very impressed by you and grants you three wishes.
(Note- no budget or supply constrains .)

What three specific items would you like to procure for PARA SF and why ?
I'll bite
1. Abolish PARA SF, take 20% of the top operators and establish a new dedicated SF Regiment with it's own dedicated budget sanctioned by the PM office. Convert the rest into SOF/support elements like the US Rangers.
2. Stop using operators in parades, guard duties, prohibit them from wearing high visibility patches and insignia.
3. Stop issuing 3 different patches for them to tell the world how special they are.

armyofhind

Country flag
Hard to swallow that 200 people are concentrated in such a hilltop and blast radius is that much big to kill such. A big number.bombs including laser guided ones and GBU s were used by Mirages which may have killed 30 or 50
5 Bombs
3 Buildings

Crystal Maze was supposed to be used but couldn't due to problems with protocols.

200 KIA and all is reasonably speculative obviously, based somewhat on existing intelligence.. since no BDA was possible in this case.

But anyway this is offtopic and has been discussed to death in the dedicated thread.

mupper2

Country flag
Andy Strumpf is always worth a listen (if he’s interviewing military guys), ex DEVGRU but doesn’t take himself very seriously at all

Jocko is a bit much for someone that was ‘only’ a vanilla SEAL (yeah I know that’s still an incredible achievement)
You gotta remeber Jocko's Shtick is Jocko's brand now..,,he is hat he is, but hamming it up is good for business.

Kumaoni

Pakis suffered more than 1000 bro...In one incident 1 Mirage killed 200 plus with one bomb
I’m just going off of their official numbers, ofc they likely suffered a lot more and are hiding it, but even if we go off the official numbers on both sides, it’s almost a 1:1 kill ratio.
So Combined Arms warfare is inferior?
When did I say it was?? It’s funny cuz the same guys would say that artillery saved infantry in Kargil, but then would lash out me if I said the same thing about western infantry in Afghanistan

Kumaoni

+ NSG being used in this role makes infinitely more sense than PARA SF but because the IA owns the battle space they’ve systematically refused to let NSG ever deploy in an role beyond training to JK. Let NSG get some experience there and if the deputation model is to continue if SF battalions Want to give their men exposure to CT in the real world then can depute them to NSG but PARA SF’s mission really is much bigger than that and most of the training should be beyond just CT

(Of course the above won’t happen as commanders won’t want to give up their AOR or lose some of their best men to another force)
We para “militiamen” doing work of policemen

skunk works

Country flag
They are really better equipped than us and tactics comes with NATO participation
Coming to real life ops everyone has their own fuck ups they have and also have it
Based on it we can't say they are inferior to us especially when they are still NATO member
Their training would at par of them and I don't think our sf are trained to anto standards

Coming to hills part
We are not some super humans
We achieve it through huge casualties bcoz we have the capacity to throw the bodies like in case of kargil bcoz we have lot
And I am not disrespectful
They can also achieve it but do they want such a casualty
And that's the answer
Seriously, I do not believe kargil showed any advance thinking tactics-wise. It may also have been a case of not having any Tactical choices at all? Someone more familiar can comment.

Kumaoni

The army is being pulled out of most urban settings in JK and replaced by CAPFs/JKP. CRPF QAT and JKP SOG should be trained to a level where they can handle the kind of incidents that come up, not sure what PARA SF are adding in a CASO/room intervention role. Given the right training and equipment a police unit could do it just as well, it’s a police role on the whole anyway

Pakistan’s bleed them by a thousand cuts strategy has worked pretty well tbh
Not really look at the current state of porkistan

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
+ NSG being used in this role makes infinitely more sense than PARA SF but because the IA owns the battle space they’ve systematically refused to let NSG ever deploy in an role beyond training to JK. Let NSG get some experience there and if the deputation model is to continue if SF battalions Want to give their men exposure to CT in the real world then can depute them to NSG but PARA SF’s mission really is much bigger than that and most of the training should be beyond just CT

(Of course the above won’t happen as commanders won’t want to give up their AOR or lose some of their best men to another force)
Say wasn't the 51st SAG deployed in J&K for quite some time . What happened to them ? It was a big news while it lasted . That would've given them a clean exposure to high altitude urban warfare .

Unfortunately if Para really wanted exposure to Urban CQC a joint training exercise could've been established. But owning the place is one hell of a way of domain establishment .
However since not more than 2-3 inexperienced Jihadis are popping hardly one at a time , what acc to you would be a good place for real combat exposure in forward areas .

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Hard to swallow that 200 people are concentrated in such a hilltop and blast radius is that much big to kill such. A big number.bombs including laser guided ones and GBU s were used by Mirages which may have killed 30 or 50
TBH, killing 200 with one bomb isnt that hard (especially when you consider cluster munitions), the point I find major here is your first point - that there will be 200 troops out in the open at the same time conveniently waiting for the bomb, concentrated at the hilltop.

Pakis had dug into positions, makeshift bunkers and all. If lucky, could have killed a few dozen at once, but 200 is hard to believe. Most kills were by the infantry (which IMO is a bad thing, theres no need to get that close when enemy is fixed and immobile. I blame the lack of guided munitions, which has improved but not solved yet).

Last edited:

Kumaoni

As has been said, Para ‘SF’ are basically just airborne infantry now- stacked up and jumping from a static parachute in a line

Not even infantry. Not even militiamen. They look like civilian volunteers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles