Indian Special Forces

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
I never said MARCOS was involved in dirty ops. I thought you got confused when I said "Special Group and IMSF", well that's basically comparing LTTE's weapons and equipment, cause these two units were the only ones at the time to have AKs and MP5s.
What i understood was you praising Marcos for less casualties...So if you dont fck you will never cum thats how it is.

Kumaoni

Come now - The Soldier in interview is not praising their tactics. he is praising their soldiering and even mentions the Radio Patrols - i.e when Indian Soldiers would fake patrols, side outside the wire and call in fake radio calls. You called their Soldiering Shit and you stated it as fact because of one book and because the Indian Army took urban centers all because of 1/3 or one book.

Fact is that your definition of winning is like Dubya claiming mission accomplished in Iraq and the US Army went on to fight an insurgency for a decade.

And simply because you mentioned Taliban in the same rationale only shows your lack of understanding again. The Taliban like the Northern Alliance is NOT a homogenious entity. Different warlords having differet capacities. the Haqqani network were some of the best light infantry fighers the Americans fought in the entire GWOT.

Like i said before. I applaud you for your articulation of what you do know. i caution you on your arrogance for being disinterested in what you dont know. This habbit in your youth will become a crutch for you later in life.
(for whatever its wort
Thx for this post. I apologize for any aggressive comments in the past.

Yes, I consider this to be on parallel with the US invasion of Iraq. Won the conventional parts, failed to consolidate and ultimately withdrew.However, military power alone is NOT ENOUGH to win insurgencies. You need soft power, and a variety of other political tools to get the locals on your side. This was lacking in Lanka, and the blame can squarely go to the government as the army is not a humanitarian force. Now, the less said about RAW here the better. They were practically useless in aiding with LTTE tactics and intelligence. I posted an article by Col John Taylor, one of the first IPKF officers.

We drove them from their urban strongholds, and this is no mean feat at all, but failed to dismantle them or force them to join the elections.
Lol Since the borneo conflict - fighting an insurgency (when a Major Power fights a very lopsided opfor) has been a major norm - Vietnam, Astan, Lanka, GWOT, ISIS, Ukraine etc etc etc. They how do you exclude fighting an insurgency from the definition of a "Conventional War" ? What you expect the opfor the bend over and surrender just because they lost their base/urban centers? the LTTE never HAD a capability to wage conventional war against India.
they did against Lanka tho. And they held out against the SLA for several years in Jaffna. It was the IA, with the worst possible preparations, who drove them out from their urban strongholds. This victory at Jaffna basically turned them into jungle guerillas, as they didn’t fight any more pitched battles or even launch an offensive against IPKF, just ambushed patrols wherever they could.
The Pakistani's are actually very good and competent soldiers - its not an opinon its a fact. However, 2 decades of radicalization of the upper echelons (and as a by product nepotism) and the shere corrpution that comes from control the Pak is starting to corroding their culture at the very top.
This is true. They have a good ability to fight, my hatred for them aside.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
What i understood was you praising Marcos for less casualties...So if you dont fck you will never cum thats how it is.
wrong, no need to fuck when you are have your supporting hand only
secondly,
The IMSF made its debut in August 1987. A 40-strong group participated in 55 combat
operations in its very first year. During amphibious raids, they destroyed the LTTE's
boats, ammunition dumps and camps. They proved invaluable during 'flushing out'
operations in the islets, lagoons and inlets and were invariably in the van of these raids.
They were awarded a Maha Vir Chakra, two Vir Chakras and several Nao Sena Medals for
gallantry during Operation Pawan.
That's not what happens if you fuck less
Screenshot (5892).png

rkhanna

Country flag
they did against Lanka tho. And they held out against the SLA for several years in Jaffna. It was the IA, with the worst possible preparations, who drove them out from their urban strongholds. This victory at Jaffna basically turned them into jungle guerillas, as they didn’t fight any more pitched battles or even launch an offensive against IPKF, just ambushed patrols wherever they could.
Fair - but thats how a david fights a goliath - by sneak and by guile.

My only comment is that the Lankan Army of the 80s was a essentially a Law and Order force. in the 50s/60/70s they spent more time policing unions and such . the 80s saw a very bady equiped SLA (almost no armour / Air) find itself in a 2 front insurgency (north and south) and against a force far better trained (by India) and equiped (by India and their own funding).

The Indian rapid advance in the initial stages are also attributable to the use of Armour and Air against LTTE Static targets. The Magarmach was devastating. The LTTE had no anti air in that sense as they never planned on it as their original opfor didnt have much to talk about.

rkhanna

Country flag
secondly,
The IMSF made its debut in August 1987. A 40-strong group participated in 55 combat
operations in its very first year. During amphibious raids, they destroyed the LTTE's
operations in the islets, lagoons and inlets and were invariably in the van of these raids.
They were awarded a Maha Vir Chakra, two Vir Chakras and several Nao Sena Medals for
View attachment 175828

Well the one difference is that MARCOS due to its tasking operated with impunity from controlled enviorments into AO's that was their bread and butter.

The Paras were basically in the suck 24/7.

but we are comparing apples and oranges so all a moot point. Marcos actions in Lanka were true blue Naval Special Operations and Direct Action - Para SF was terrestrial COIN/SO/LRRP casualties rates will always be different.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
secondly,
View attachment 175828
True but there is no comparison to what Para did.

I am not doubting Marcos what i am saying is if Marcos were also involved in more intense ops casualties would be similar.

Kumaoni

Fair - but thats how a david fights a goliath - by sneak and by guile.

My only comment is that the Lankan Army of the 80s was a essentially a Law and Order force. in the 50s/60/70s they spent more time policing unions and such . the 80s saw a very bady equiped SLA (almost no armour / Air) find itself in a 2 front insurgency (north and south) and against a force far better trained (by India) and equiped (by India and their own funding).

The Indian rapid advance in the initial stages are also attributable to the use of Armour and Air against LTTE Static targets. The Magarmach was devastating. The LTTE had no anti air in that sense as they never planned on it as their original opfor didnt have much to talk about.
Well, their minefields were something that need mentions here. Hell they caused most of the IPKF casualties, more than actual gunslinging battles themselves.

The air support, maybe. Although the Infantry had to grind through urbanwarfare for 2 weeks straight. Battle at Kondavil was one of many

Jedi Operator

Country flag
True but there is no comparison to what Para did.

I am not doubting Marcos what i am saying is if Marcos were also involved in more intense ops casualties would be similar.
Going everyday patrolling for miles just to be ambushed is not special operations. MARCOS did what their mandate was, Para commando units acted like super infantry. They didn't take too many casualties after that one year, listen to that interview of Brig Sanjay Thakur, they usually did int gathering ops which is the mandate of SF.

By the way look at these fools who lead our country: The army expert is from an infantry battalion and says he lead 'Surgical Strike' like ops at a different level. He mentions 9 Para as 9 Para but 6 Para (Airborne), at the time this video was released it was still Airborne, as 6 Para SF...….He says Tangail Paradrop was a special operation.

As for that Navy guy, he called IMSF as "Indian Marine Security Force", saying that they are marine infantry and train with SEALs annually so as not to loose their SEAL like capability. They mention AFSOD as a QRT team for armed forces. And more importantly claim that they have 2 RR battalions in AFSOD as Special Forces. Can anyone tell me pls WTF is happening here?

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Going everyday patrolling for miles just to be ambushed is not special operations. MARCOS did what their mandate was, Para commando units acted like super infantry. They didn't take too many casualties after that one year, listen to that interview of Brig Sanjay Thakur, they usually did int gathering ops which is the mandate of SF.

By the way look at these fools who lead our country: The army expert is from an infantry battalion and says he lead 'Surgical Strike' like ops at a different level. He mentions 9 Para as 9 Para but 6 Para (Airborne), at the time this video was released it was still Airborne, as 6 Para SF...….He says Tangail Paradrop was a special operation.

As for that Navy guy, he called IMSF as "Indian Marine Security Force", saying that they are marine infantry and train with SEALs annually so as not to loose their SEAL like capability. They mention AFSOD as a QRT team for armed forces. And more importantly claim that they have 2 RR battalions in AFSOD as Special Forces. Can anyone tell me pls WTF is happening here?
Choosing which op to go for is not the mandate of Para SF.

In the end they are patriots saving their naam namak nishan.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag

30 or 35RR battalions are para regtt based RR battalions.(i might be wrong with the number )

But these guys have no idea about SF.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Choosing which op to go for is not the mandate of Para SF.

In the end they are patriots saving their naam namak nishan.
That's why good leaders are important, when they had freedom to chose their way, see what they did....Major Mohit Sharma for example, even 9 Para SF had it's battalion lead by NCOs and JCOs for some time and had some female operatives to help gather intelligence. We have talent and the only place where we are lagging behind is in setting top priorities. Whose responsibility is this, I am betting if you gave SF freedom to chose ops, you see better results. But with Leaders willing to say Indian Marine Security Force is like Marine Infantry or converting Airborne into SF. You should know how things get fucked up

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
That's why good leaders are important, when they had freedom to chose their way, see what they did....Major Mohit Sharma for example, even 9 Para SF had it's battalion lead by NCOs and JCOs for some time and had some female operatives to help gather intelligence. We have talent and the only place where we are lagging behind is in setting top priorities. Whose responsibility is this, I am betting if you gave SF freedom to chose ops, you see better results. But with Leaders willing to say Indian Marine Security Force is like Marine Infantry or converting Airborne into SF. You should know how things get fucked up
Grey matter is missing in our officers.

Sorry to say but thats how it seems.

Kumaoni

Leadership and talent has always been there with the younger officers. Would like to see the army brass follow in suit.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles