Indian Special Forces

Waanar

Country flag
What’s with this obsession with AKs? How expensive is a decent AR setup for MoD? Beyond depressing the state of affairs of our SF units.
View attachment 164428
Those that have the choice almost exclusively ditch the AK though
AKs are more reliable than any other platform in cold environment.
You can look up reliability test results comparing various platforms. No platform beats the cold like AK does.

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
Those that have the choice almost exclusively ditch the AK though
Thats not the case…Some prefers Aks or atleast something in 7.62x39. If thats not the case the para guys who has enough Tavors wont be using Aks or buying kits for them.Even in many interviews some SF guys who had access to Tavors M4s prefers Aks

Spadex

Country flag
Due to the metal handguard(ergonomic/comfort issues) or some other mechanical issues?
They are covering the m-lock and p rail with clothes because it's impossible to hold them in sub zero temperatures. Kind of defeat the purpose of a moder rifle and AR design of sig 716

Indian army also have to be blame here, issues everyone with useless fingerless gloves of sub optimal quality irrespective of the climate/ environment condition is kind of sad

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Metal handguard is the major problem.
Also heard some officers saying that the metal parts of the gun contracts, and causes problems.
If I’m not mistaken @Johny_Baba spoke about this issue in the Small Arms thread, when pictures emerged where soldiers were tying cloth on the hand guard due to it being very cold in those freezing temperatures and lack of gloves being provided by the Army.

Spadex

Country flag
Metal handguard is the major problem.
Also heard some officers saying that the metal parts of the gun contracts, and causes problems.
Coming back to my original question, we didn't heard anything about sig 716 before induction

It' didn't pass through the world famous and illegally long trial procedure of indian army

No trial pictures videos articles anything

No moon trial flight trial underwater trial fire trial

It came out of nowhere how ?

BlackViking

Country flag
If I’m not mistaken @Johny_Baba spoke about this issue in the Small Arms thread, when pictures emerged where soldiers were tying cloth on the hand guard due to it being very cold in those freezing temperatures and lack of gloves being provided by the Army.
Issues with the handguard are fine. That can be dealt easily by getting good quality gloves.
I was more interested in knowing about the metal parts contracting due to sub-zero temperatures, and posing risks to firing mechanism, but I didn't get time.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Coming back to my original question, we didn't heard anything about sig 716 before induction

It' didn't pass through the world famous and illegally long trial procedure of indian army

No trial pictures videos articles anything

No moon trial flight trial underwater trial fire trial

It came out of nowhere how ?
Everyone was hopefull that tavor7 would win but sig got the deal

shouryav105

Country flag
Reddit pe post karke bejati mat karwao, wait till they find out we bought surplus cold weather clothing from US which is also in that shit UCP camo. Indian Army cant even provide these simple things, naak kat jayegi.
Koi bejati nhi kar rha , ek bar khol ke dekhlo comment section , baki ucp thik kam kar rhi hai uss environment main.

Articles